Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-13-2020, 08:02 AM   #1
Mart

Default Early Ford Torque Tube and Driveshaft Alignment How To. Flatty Valve Seats. 32 Pt 19

Hello! Welcome to some Early Ford Tech from Mart's Garage. How can you tell if your driveshaft is running true? How about the torque tube?? Is it square to the axle? Well, I'll show you a method that has worked for me. Best of all, it doesn't require any fancy equipment. Mind reeling from all that tech? Lets bust out the vintage Buma valve seat tool and show the O'l 59 flatty what for.

Thanks for checking in, hopefully some of this tech stuff will help someone out there.

Catch you on the next one! Mart.

https://youtu.be/eTmxoFgBlUU

Last edited by Mart; 11-13-2020 at 09:35 AM.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 11:30 AM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: Early Ford Torque Tube and Driveshaft Alignment How To. Flatty Valve Seats. 32 P

Mart, thanks for posting that very informative video. I really like that you show the entire process including how to correct the "over bend" mistake. Do the built up weld beads on the banjo end of the drive shaft present any problems? Do you grind them down smooth or leave them? Please refresh our memories as to what year make and model you are working on that required you to undertake this drive shaft modification. Thanks.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 01:32 PM   #3
Mart

Default Re: Early Ford Torque Tube and Driveshaft Alignment How To. Flatty Valve Seats. 32 P

Cheers Fordy.

The axle, driveshaft and torque tube are going into my 32 sedan. The axle is Ford Pilot, very similar to 35/36 US Ford. The torque tube is shortened 35/36 Ford. I did have a driveshaft but it was too long and also had a dent so I opted to lengthen an Allard driveshaft. I lengthened it by welding a 6 spline coupler to the end.

I've covered all the steps over the last few weeks in my videos.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 12:03 PM   #4
Brendan

Hi Mart! thanks for the Vid's i think they are very interesting! keep up the hard work. are we gonna get crusty flatty 2 running? i hope so

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 08:24 AM   #5
flatford8

Good show Mart!!....I wondered about just using a torch instead of welding.....the first time I saw that being done, I was hauling 50 foot I beams for new bridge construction. There was an iron worker heating one side of a beam with a huge torch and I asked what that was for. He said he was straightening it. It would expand and come back further to where he wanted it. I’ve always been intrigued by watching people who know what their doing! Thanks for having us in Mart’s Garage.........Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 10:59 AM   #6
Russ/40

Mart, I think you have found the magic formula for your YouTube channel. Your productions have a appeal that works well. Your get it done, without a lot of high tech tools, stimulates the imagination and awakens a lot of enginuity. Really enjoying your 32 project. Good old fashion garage stuff.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote