Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-22-2019, 10:16 PM   #1
Thriftmaster

Default 9" axle beaing issue

Picked up a 1959 Ford 9" rear end from a 4dr that the owner parked 30 odd years ago and let the black berries engulf it need I say more. Anyhow the body is toast but the drive train is surprisingly good.
I have run into an issue with regards to replacement wheel bearing.When I was removing the axles I used a slide hammer and it took one good tap and the axles popped out no different than any axles I have changed over the years. I should mention that this car was a 78000 mile one. Fast forward and I bought two new replacement SKF axle bearings and retainers and had them installed on the axles.
When I started to install one of my axles back into the rear end housing the bearing slides right into the housing with no resistance what so ever. I can slide the axle in and out like a cylinder head valve in a guide. The axle has to have a good two thousands of clearance between the outer race and the housing. Not only this but I decided to finish the install of the axles and once locked into place I can actually move the axle in and out on the housing a good 1/16-3/16 of an inch and this is the same for both sides of the housing.
I pulled one axle and went back to the vendor with my issue and we measured another bearing brand and found them to mic out exactly the same. While I am talking this over with my parts supplier another fellow comes in with the same issue. I know I can not run these bearings as is because the the outer race will be moving in the housing both in and out and I am sure turning from time to time. Has anyone else encountered this issue and how did you over come it? I should also mention that this is a small bearing rear end.
Other than to try and locate a set of NOS rear axle bearings I am at a loss to get my car back on the road at the moment.
Thriftmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 10:46 PM   #2
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: 9" axle beaing issue

In October of 2018, I went through the same problem with '55 Ford factory original 8.8 banjo housing type rearend axle bearing. Had the car at a front-end/brake alignment shop to install the parts and noticed that the new bearing was wider than the original, so that if you installed it, the outer retainer plate would not seat against the brake backplate, but would stand-off about 1/2 inch! In a panic, we checked three other local auto parts chains and found the measurements of their bearings to be the same as my new bearing.
It turned out, the shop couldn't help at all, but I had to pay for the time we wasted and we put my axle shafts back in. I drove away. I immediately inquired with some of the repro parts suppliers using all the measurements we had taken of the old bearing with a micrometer to see if the bearings they offered were consistent with what I had. Two of them had the same thing as the new bearing I was going to try to install, but a third supplier had the right bearing. I ordered it and waited three days. Then I took the axle shaft out myself and took it to a different shop where they quickly removed the old bearing and pressed the new one on.
When I got the axle shaft home and slid it in to the axle housing, it turned out to be perfect.
Some of these places are getting their bearings and seals manufactured in China. Gotta be real careful in selection of bearings by whatever your requirements are for inner bore and outer diameter sizes as well as overall width. Chinese automotive electrical parts suck real bad too. Don't last long before the contacts burn up.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 10:52 PM   #3
Daves55Sedan

Last time I put rear axle bearings on a '57, 9" was back between 1998-2000. Those bearings did fit perfectly in every way. Probably got them from Concours Parts back then, but could not guarantee they are receiving their bearings from same supplier now. I doubt it. I suggest call all the repro parts suppliers with measurements of old bearing in hand and ask them to verify their advertised part matches your measurements.
Old 06-23-2019, 03:26 AM   #4
Thriftmaster

Thanks for the information. As a side note the SKF bearings are now made in China.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:25 AM   #5
wellcraft17

I had the exact same problem with my 56 f100 a few years ago, drove me nuts thinking somehow the housing was worn out. Long story short I made a shim and placed it into the housing then inserted the axle tightened it down, eliminated the end play and haven’t had any issue with it since. Always wondered about it now I know other folks had the same problem.
wellcraft17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:25 AM   #6
rotorwrench

Something always gets lost when converting from Imperial Inch unit measures to Metric unit measures. I always wonder how well trained the folks are that do these conversions. A lot of modern machines don't even cut in inch units any more. You can see how important that calculated conversion might be. Math gets skewed sometimes by the method of calculation. The skill of the machine programmers and operators also comes into play.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 03:44 PM   #7
Thriftmaster

Called a friend of mine re this problem last night. He is a Mill Right and has been working on a lot of very old vintage machinery lately. We discussed the bearing issue and he stated that he has run into the same problem with 50-70 year old mill equipment that he has been upgrading. He stated that if the tolerances are with in a few thousands that them in the trade have been using Loctite 680 retaining compound. Apparently you coat the sleeve area were the bearing is to slide into prior to installing it and not so much that it squeezes into the moving race on install. Make sure it is in the place were you want it to sit and then let it stand for several hours and it should be good to go.
He also stated as did Dave55Sedan to check out other bearing manufacturers before resorting to this because different companies have different tolerances. I asked about getting the axle back out if there is a problem once this stuff sets up and he told me it would break loose with a slide hammer and some muscle work but it would not damage the sleeve area and would break loose.
So my first order is to contact different bearing suppliers and if all else fails I will try the Loctite 680.
Old 06-23-2019, 06:13 PM   #8
packrat5
BANNED

We are going thru a bearing crisis in this country. They are all made in china. They are are all crap. All brands are suspect. The first, but not the only clue is the part # is inked on. The second is, run a file lightly on the outside of the bearing. It should not scratch it.
Try to find new old stock bearings with an old shelf-worn box, and etched on part numbers. All bearings from distributors up to huge truck and heavy equipment are affected. Garage owners are going crazy over this. Good luck.
You could wrap some shim stock around the bearing while installing the axel. At any rate, the bearing will not last very long.
packrat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 06:28 PM   #9
rotorwrench

The old Loctite green #35 and the newer #680 are the same thing. This is as heavy duty as Loctite gets. It's called out for a lot of bearings installed in the main rotor gearboxes on the helicopters but it is a b!tch to get it apart sometimes. Heat it up past water boiling temp and cool it for a few temp change cycles and it will let go. I've been using the stuff for years and it is the only thing that works for loose fit stuff.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:38 AM   #10
Daves55Sedan

Another thing you need to pay attention to when receiving replacement bearings is that the center collar of the bearing matches your old bearing exactly. My Factory original axle bearings have the center collar protruding from the outer face of the bearing, but the new bearing had that collar sticking out on both sides. If I had installed the new bearing, that portion which protrudes on the inside may have pushed up against my new seal and ruined it.
But like I say, I somehow got lucky and found one place out of all the sources I knew of that had an exact match to my old bearing.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:56 AM   #11
Ole Don

I recently went through the same thing with wheel cylinders for a rear axle. The old ones had the bump that goes through the back plate measure 1.310. All the replacements measured 1.490. I finally found some NOS at another parts house.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:43 AM   #12
Thriftmaster

Yes I did notice that the new bearings do not have the lower race that protrudes out farther than the top and thanks for the heads up on the your seal issue I will check that out.
Old 06-26-2019, 04:00 AM   #13
Thriftmaster

So today I tracked down an older gentleman I was told about that has a stash of 1959-1968 muscle cars, Not to mention a hoard of parts but unfortunately no NOS axle bearings. But what he did have was even better. This fellow had a stash of super clean axles for 9" ford complete with bearings and the retainers. Yes they are all used but hand picked good stuff. I found a matched pair with original USA made RW207HH Federal bearings. I mic'd both of them and they actually were correct for my housings. Both bearings were interference fit and the right width as well. And they were as smooth as glass when you turned them. Anyhow I could not say no because the gentleman would not take more than $25.00 for the pair so I took them home and the fit like gloves into my diff. Tomorrow I should be back on the road after I hook up the drive shaft. I will continue to hunt on line and eBay to try and find a spare set or two of bearings to go with my now spare set of axles.