Go Back   The Ford Barn > To The Editors > Questions & Suggestions

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-29-2016, 03:51 PM   #1
Benwinch07

Default What are these wheels??

Hello, i came into posession of an antique band saw that has what im told are Model A or Model T wheels on it. Can anyone identify them for me and tell me what theyre worth? Is it a good idea to try to restore them? Im a woodworker so I could sand them smooth and refinish them with some oil or something, but i won't do it if it would hurt the value (if there is still any value in them).

Ive also been told that the pully that was used is also the original steering wheel, maybe someone can help me with that one too. 20151225_124200.jpg

20151225_123402.jpg

20151225_122130.jpg

Thanks for any help!
Benwinch07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:05 PM   #2
redmodelt

Default Re: What are these wheels??

The hub caps are 28 Chevrolet, the pulley is Model T steering wheel not sure what the wheels are as Chevrolet hub caps don't fit a T wheel. Looks like a Model T front axle was used. I would sand and oil the wood but I think it's worth more showing the ingenuity of what people can do with what they have as is. The sum of the whole is worth more then the individual parts.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:53 PM   #3
Benwinch07

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
The hub caps are 28 Chevrolet, the pulley is Model T steering wheel not sure what the wheels are as Chevrolet hub caps don't fit a T wheel. Looks like a Model T front axle was used. I would sand and oil the wood but I think it's worth more showing the ingenuity of what people can do with what they have as is. The sum of the whole is worth more then the individual parts.
Ive taken everything off and the frame is sitting outside, it was worthless as a bandsaw so i needed the space more than I needed a paperweight. The bottom axle is tapered where it goes in the wheel and then straightens out for a nut thats inside the hub cap. The top wheel actually has bearings in it and the axle has two tapered cones that seat into the center of the bearings, automatically centering the wheel on the shaft. Then theres a left hand nut on the end of that. The whole mounting bracket looks like it was made for the wheel, and it has a tilt adjustment that is used to track the bandsaw blade. If that fixture was made for a car it looks like it could be used as an early camber adjustment. Maybe?

20151225_123333.jpg

20151225_122155.jpg
Benwinch07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 03:23 AM   #4
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

This is the questions to the editors on how the site works. May I suggest that you repost this on the discussions forum, model T.