Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-12-2012, 09:57 PM   #1
JohnRAKerr

Default Barn Find In Canada - 1930/31 Model A Coupe

I am new to the forums here at Ford Barn and I will be looking for insight for quite a while as I restore a 1930/31 Model A Coupe that I just recently picked up.

First things first, I am no mechanic and I have no experience in restoring a vehicle, I simply love riding around in a Model A. I have been involved with a family that has 5 Model A's, 4 of which have been fully restored by themselves, and I decided that now is the perfect time for myself to get my own and learn as much as I can.

I picked up a 1930 Coupe from a man who has had it sitting in his barn for nearly 40 years. I feel that it is a perfect starting point (see pictures). It is completely original and really is in great shape. The body is very solid and everything is there. The engine has not run since the late 90's.

Luckily I have experienced family and friends, one of which is a regular on these forums, Bogdonj, who are going to help me every step of the way during this restoration, and I will learn a lot from them. But I will still be looking for help on these forums as I will need all the help I can get, so I am all ears.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coupe 1.jpg (22.7 KB, 569 views)
File Type: jpg Coupe 2.jpg (24.6 KB, 576 views)
File Type: jpg Coupe 3.jpg (23.2 KB, 556 views)
JohnRAKerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:14 PM   #2
JohnRAKerr

Default Re: Barn Find In Canada - 1930/31 Model A Coupe

Tonight I managed to get the upholstery out while conserving the springs. The upholstery in this car was actually the original upholstery, and I was extremely excited and surprised to find just how great it looked underneath everything.

Can anyone tell me anything about the Serial number I found on the body (see picture).

I am almost certain that this is 1930 coupe, as there are a few indicators, just want to make sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Back View.jpg (66.1 KB, 381 views)
File Type: jpg Cab.jpg (61.0 KB, 425 views)
File Type: jpg Driver's Door 2.jpg (50.4 KB, 384 views)
File Type: jpg Passenger Door.jpg (40.1 KB, 361 views)
File Type: jpg vin number.jpg (45.6 KB, 402 views)
File Type: jpg Springs.jpg (67.1 KB, 361 views)
File Type: jpg Interior 2.jpg (36.7 KB, 366 views)
Old 11-12-2012, 10:14 PM   #3
JohnRAKerr

The number reads "0F197"
Old 11-12-2012, 10:24 PM   #4
bogdonj

Can't wait to begin the restoration on this fine coupe.... Everyone help me welcome John to our forum!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 262158_10151364934471004_1386136567_n.jpg (85.1 KB, 284 views)
File Type: jpg 15212_10151364933856004_1093347656_n.jpg (74.0 KB, 277 views)
1930 Ford Original Rolling Chassis- Restoring

Last edited by bogdonj; 11-12-2012 at 10:34 PM.
bogdonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:29 PM   #5
teejay99

Looks like a good find ....I'll be watching too ....oh , and welcome John .

T
teejay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:36 PM   #6
Greg Jones

Very nice. The dash and moulding look to have remnants of faux woodgraining.
Greg Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:41 PM   #7
700rpm

You are lucky guy, John, for at least three reasons: You found a great little car; you have friends close by who can advise you; and you found this forum. Nice work!

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:50 PM   #8
mot

how was the door upholstry
i am looking for some original ones in decent shape
years ago I too found one very similar to this one and started to tear it apart to "restore it"
worst mistake ive ever made
i wish i had left it as it was in its original state
they are only original once
so if the door panels are decent email me
i would like them before they are thrown out
tom
mot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:54 PM   #9
Marco Tahtaras

Welcome! This is a great place for info and support! It looks like you found a nice toy to start with. I would strongly advise starting with doing just what is needed to make the car usable and DRIVE it. That will provide the time and opportunity to REALLY get to know the car and what it needs. You can plan, acquire needed parts, etc., while enjoying the car instead of extra months staring at a pile of parts.

It may be just the pics you posted (a bit small), but it looks like the rear bumpers or "Fender Guards" are too long and proper for 1931 slant windshield Fordor models only. If I'm correct there many folks trying very hard to find those!
Old 11-12-2012, 11:01 PM   #10
Marco Tahtaras

Well, that's what I get for taking a dinner break half way through my message, seven posts!

SLOW DOWN! Tom's response jumps to the heart of one point I was trying to make.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:13 PM   #11
columbiA

Nice car you have there.I have a late 30 CDN coupe that I restored about 6 years ago,but mine was not nearly as good as yours to start with.I had to weld in the usual patch panels & sub frame repair etc,but now it runs like new & is totally reliable.My body # is OF361
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:19 PM   #12
Tom Wesenberg

I agree with Marco. From the pictures, that's a car I'd have left alone and driven it as found, while just lubricating the moving parts and fixing what needs to be fixed mechanically. Someone gave my 28 an amature paint and upholstery job in the mid 50's, but I'm just having fun driving it as is while fixing a piece at at time, with little or no down time. So far everyone tells me how great it is that it's original and that I should leave it as is. I bought the upholstery kit 10 years ago and since the paint isn't the original color, I plan to restore it someday, but am in no hurry. For one thing I don't have the room right now for a body off restoration.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:15 AM   #13
Tudortomnz

Nice car & great to see another one ''made in Canada''.
Body # is interesting, as all Canadian coupes sent to NZ had 1F....
''F'' is the letter for Ford City, Ontario, the main Canadian Plant which later was known as Windsor. Just maybe OF is '' Ontario Ford'' to show difference to ''F'' letter also used by Ford Detroit.
Any other OF #'s found on Canadian Model A's.? I sure wish a few guys in Canada would pipe up when Canadian production comes up on FB.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:48 AM   #14
lance leblanc

Quote:
Don't start several things at once. Instead start one thing on your list and finish it before moving onto the next. There are many projects like yours that are begun with good intentions. However many of these are dissassembled and never reassembled.

Finishing one thing before moving on is very difficult. Waiting on a part, advise the weather someone else's schedule all can put a task on standby. The temptation to move on to another area that needs attention while maximizing your time management is very frustrating. You look like you've started with the number 1 rule. Take lots of pictures! I've even found that taking short videos of the project proves useful by allowing me to make verbal notes.
lance leblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:51 AM   #15
bogdonj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
how was the door upholstry
i am looking for some original ones in decent shape
years ago I too found one very similar to this one and started to tear it apart to "restore it"
worst mistake ive ever made
i wish i had left it as it was in its original state
they are only original once
so if the door panels are decent email me
i would like them before they are thrown out
tom

Hey Tom,

The door upholstery had to be throwing out. the mice have had there way with it for 40 years and it completely stained with mice urine. For health purposes it could not been saved.
1930 Ford Original Rolling Chassis- Restoring
bogdonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:06 AM   #16
socalplanedoc

I like the workshop!
socalplanedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:15 PM   #17
P.S.

Wow, that is one of the best looking "barn finds" I have ever seen! How fortunate for you!!

Best of luck.

Oh, and I agree with the above about not doing a total tear-down. Get it running and safe to drive (front end tight, brakes working properly, etc.) and drive it! You'll be thankful later on down the road that you did.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:17 PM   #18
Dick Deegan

John; Welcome to Fordbarn and the Model A community. There are lots of people here to help you. BTW, your Coupe looks like a great find. Have you run the engine yet? As others have stated, I would get it roadworthy, safetied, titled and just drive it for a while to see what it really needs.

The link below will lead you to some information about the number you found on the cross member. Generally speaking it tells you where the car was assembled (sometimes), the Model and when it was assembled. Somewhat confusing, but great information which I think took a lot of work to put together.

http://mafca.com/downloads/Technical...y%20Number.pdf

Enjoy

Dick
Dick Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:57 PM   #19
juke joint johnny

Welcome to the Barn!! What a nice car you have found

I agree with many others on the forum . Do all the things ED advices above and get it running and use it for a while. You will find out what needs attention the most and learn the basics about keeping a Model A on the road . You will be surprised how much attention an old Original car attracts !!!!!! Often a lot more than a good restoration. A lot of us have to restore our cars because they are Basket Cases with many pieces missing . Yours looks like it was driven in that Barn and could be Driven out with a little work .

John Cochran
juke joint johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:46 PM   #20
Don S

My Canadian 31 Coupe has the number 1F 3594,also from the Windsor plant in Ontario. Was not a complete car when I got it in 1980.
Don S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:29 PM   #21
jojofilo88

welcome john!
that looks like a great barn find! get it in a drivable condition and enjoy it! you'll have a lot of fun, and get tons of attention with it! especially being a coupe!

flush the fluids and make sure everything is lubed up and take her for a spin! and check the brakes too before you head out.

another way to tell the year of manufacture is to look on the firewall. look from the engine side of the firewall, on the drivers side and you should see a date stamped in the metal. it is pretty faint, but should be in the form of something like 10-13-29 which would be october 13, 1929. that could help you identify the year it was made.
jojofilo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:45 PM   #22
JohnRAKerr

I am really grateful for everyone's input, I am glad I joined the Ford Barn forums. After talking with Bogdonj and reading the post I am going to make my first priority to get the hood and rad off and see what shape the rad is in and try to make it safe for the road.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:38 PM   #23
JohnRAKerr

I have been researching engine numbers to find out exactly when my car was built. The number I found on the motor plate is CA129656. I understand that it is a Canadian number but I am finding it difficult to pin point a date. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance
Old 11-22-2012, 09:46 PM   #24
Dave Boyer

Did you get an ownership with it? If not, get it in your name before you do too much. You'll have to get it appraised, to transfer ownership.
Dave Boyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:57 PM   #25
JohnRAKerr

Dave, that has been taken care of
Old 11-22-2012, 10:26 PM   #26
swo4rd

Congratulations John...what a find for the current time. Finds like this were plentiful in the 1960’s when I got my first A. Not so today.

In your posts, I did not read that you told us what the engine number is. With that number, if the engine is original, The number stamped on the sill will give you the assembly plant and other information that was used to coordinate the assembly...Dick Deegan's link to Dave Sturges article will give you some leads.

From all indications it is an early (before June) 1930 assembly year but it also appears to be a Deluxe model with the wood grained dash. If I am seeing garnishes on your doors and the quarter window correctly, they are wood grained, more indication of a deluxe model. Also the hardware on the door also appear to be deluxe fittings. The colors that I am seeing on the dash with the pin stripe don’t fit the understanding of the finish schedules shown in the Paint and Color Guide for the 45-B Deluxe. It looks like it might be Andallusite Blue (1929 Color) with the French Gray pin stripe? Otherwise, the only thing that I can figure out is that it was black with the Apple Green stripe that has faded to white. If it was a 45-B Deluxe, it would have had cowl lights. I cannot see from the photos if it did, and they were removed? Does it have those different Canadian bumper clamps? I also recently salvaged bumpers from a 1930 Town Sedan and they were exactly the same as Marco described.

Marco, I will be putting them on the site to sell in the near future.

Even with the interior in poor condition, I hope you saved it to check patterns and fabric colors...because even the kits need to be trimmed to fit. If you have the original pieces, it makes it easy. Also, 50 YO rodent urine can still be sanitized with pet urine cleaners available today.

As an aside, is the number on the cross brace, written anywhere else, such as the seat bottoms? I have this idea that the number occurred on other parts of the car…a method of indexing parts that were coming down the assembly line to coordinate their proper installation.

Finally, do not get in a hurry, as everyone here has recommended. Get it running and drive it so you can feel and get to know it.
swo4rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:29 PM   #27
HoarseWhisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRAKerr View Post
I have been researching engine numbers to find out exactly when my car was built. The number I found on the motor plate is CA129656. I understand that it is a Canadian number but I am finding it difficult to pin point a date. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance
Welcome to the Barn, John.

CA129656 would indicate an engine from May of 1929.

1928 CCPU 82-A
1931 Roadster 40-B Dlx (Canadian)
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:00 AM   #28
Tom Wesenberg

How were Canadian engine picked out and numbered?
Was a certain amount picked out each month and given the CA prefix but kept in numerical order with the rest of the engines?
Old 11-23-2012, 11:14 PM   #29
swo4rd

The engine has been exchanged...when the body is removed for restoration, the frame number will give the date off the assembly line.
swo4rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:12 AM   #30
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by swo4rd View Post
The engine has been exchanged...when the body is removed for restoration, the frame number will give the date off the assembly line.
Actually the frame number is the same as the original engine number, which may have been made months before being installed in the frame. My slant window, flat firewall Town Sedan is March or April of 1931, but has a November 1930 engine number. Overstock and slow sales during 1930-31.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:44 AM   #31
Tudortomnz

Bear in mind, for Canadian production, most chassis were not stamped with the engine number, but the engine number itself was the cars serial number. Only for 1928 were chassis stamped. This was usual practise in most countries except the US. Records of the original number passed from owner to owner, also with the govt. authority.
CA engines went to 150K in mid 1929 then batches of 10K blocks received CA with a letter from the top of a typewriter keyboard for each batch to mid 1931.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:42 PM   #32
columbiA

I have seen a very early 30CDN A tudor with the number stamped on the frame.All the other 30-31 CDN frames Ive seen had no number.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:23 AM   #33
WRA

I would get it running and enjoy "As Is". Welcome and nice find.
WRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:46 PM   #34
JohnRAKerr

Hey everyone, have not posted for awhile, but there has been much progress. Since last November I have decided to start restoring my Coupe and now that the weather is right I am having a lot of fun.

I installed new wiring and spark plugs just to get the motor running, and it did not disappoint, it started up first try!

Please go to this link to watch the video of its first run.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0gHq-CS_B8

Last edited by JohnRAKerr; 05-09-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:01 PM   #35
JohnRAKerr

These are pics from this past weekend. We transferred the body and frame to my girlfriends grandfather's shop where we will be doing the restoration. We also managed to pull the motor and transmission. The motor and body were placed on some make shift dolly's with casters so that they can be moved around easily.

I will post more photos later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coupe Body in Garage.jpg (75.2 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Coupe Body on Trailer.jpg (61.3 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Model A Motor Pulled.jpg (49.2 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Model A Body and Motor Pulled.jpg (44.5 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Model A Tranny.jpg (34.5 KB, 41 views)
Old 05-09-2013, 09:07 PM   #36
JohnRAKerr

Tonight I pulled the rear and front end off and placed the frame on some horses. This weekend I plan to sand blast the frame and prepare it for primer and paint.

I have boughten semi-gloss black paint and gloss paint for painting the chassis. From what I understand the frame itself was originally semi-gloss black (essentially) and the other parts on the chassis were gloss. Can anyone help me confirm this?
Old 05-09-2013, 09:16 PM   #37
spike

checthe frame for straightness befor you go and paint it. if it has to be straightened it would not be nice to screw up a new paint jpb.....just me 2 cents worth...good luck
spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:08 PM   #38
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRAKerr View Post
Tonight I pulled the rear and front end off and placed the frame on some horses. This weekend I plan to sand blast the frame and prepare it for primer and paint.

I have boughten semi-gloss black paint and gloss paint for painting the chassis. From what I understand the frame itself was originally semi-gloss black (essentially) and the other parts on the chassis were gloss. Can anyone help me confirm this?
John,

I hope you get a copy of the MARC/MAFCA Restoration Guidelines and Judging Standards...It will answer a lot of your questions.

Congrats on the find and pay attention to detail if you are that kind of person.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:25 PM   #39
partridgekelley

WOW! Lots of real good advice too. Your car looks to be a 1930 = split aprons and flat firewall. What a find! I thought I'm lucky to have my A's and stuff - but you've done better that me. Mine cost me $20 -- back in 59 , and I still have it. Drive it and enjoy it!! Good Luck, Gary
partridgekelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:04 PM   #40
Rock Hornbuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Actually the frame number is the same as the original engine number, which may have been made months before being installed in the frame. My slant window, flat firewall Town Sedan is March or April of 1931, but has a November 1930 engine number. Overstock and slow sales during 1930-31.
As Tom stated, slow sales in '30-'31. My '31 was Jan-Feb of '31, and has an engine and matching frame date in Sept of '30.
'14 100th Anniversary Challenger Limited Edition.

Semper Fidelis
Rock Hornbuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:06 PM   #41
Rock Hornbuckle

I agree with many here on the forum, keep it as is, and drive it for a while, with one exception...those seat springs might be painful if not covered.
'14 100th Anniversary Challenger Limited Edition.

Semper Fidelis
Rock Hornbuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:26 PM   #42
Drive Shaft Dave

That is a nice coupe i have one just like it, mine is just about 99 percent done. You will love it when it is! If you dont already.

Last edited by Drive Shaft Dave; 05-10-2013 at 01:01 AM.
Drive Shaft Dave is offline   Reply With Quote