Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-05-2018, 03:57 PM   #1
oldforder

Default Finding local A people

I am quite new to this forum, so would like to tell you a few thing about myself. I am old, as my 75th Bday will be on St pats day. I feel old in my bones, but not in my mind. I have been a mechanic all my life. I went to school for diesel farm tractor, but didn't work as that for long, and went to work at a ford dealer as an auto mechanic. Then at an independent garage, then opened my own shop where I repaired cars till early 1980s. Then my sideline business of selling and repairing lawnmowers and other OPE became so large and cars started to get kinda computerized, so phased out the auto business, but of course repaired my own. I am now retired. About 10 years ago, I decided I would like a classic car to take to shows just for the fun of it. At the present time I have a 64 for ranchero that is only driver quality, and a 65 mustang 6 cyl. automatic, that is show quality. AND of course the 29 Tudor that I bought last fall. I got it from a guy that had started on it but claimed health problems. It has driver quality paint, and an interior that was probably done when it was painted, probably 40 or 50 years ago?? It runs very good, and drives nice and stops ok. It has new top, and new tires, and lots of new front end and steering parts, It needed some minor wiring fixed, and I put on turn signals that I kinda built myself. ANYWAY, there is no local model A club, and although I am very active in the local mustang club, (past president) nobody knows ANYTHING about model As. I think there a few around the area, and would like to see if anybody would like to form a local club. The closest clubs to me are in Lincoln 75 miles and Omaha 80 miles.
oldforder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 04:56 PM   #2
Terry, NJ

Default Re: Finding local A people

Take a map and draw circle with a 15 mile radius from your house and I'd almost guarantee at least one other owner. The insurance companies make everyone keep them out of sight.
Or park yours out in the driveway and see if anyone stops. Two guys stopped to look at mine when I lived in NJ.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 05:08 PM   #3
Ted Duke

http://www.cornhuskermodela.org/

Model A club in Lincoln area.
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 05:09 PM   #4
Ted Duke

Contact them and they will know who is near you!
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:30 AM   #5
BILL WILLIAMSON

Gotta' put out "BAIT" to attract Model A Folks, jist like when you're TRAPPING CRITTERS!!
Bill W.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:52 AM   #6
Anteek29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Gotta' put out "BAIT" to attract Model A Folks, jist like when you're TRAPPING CRITTERS!!
Bill W.
Yep...seems most Model A lovers can sniff em out!
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 12:40 PM   #7
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Bill W.
What kinda bait would one use? A quail cap in a snare? Maybe entice it a bit with a gallon of non ethonal fuel, a beer, and a funnel cake?
Old 03-06-2018, 02:21 PM   #8
ronn

What kinda bait would one use? A quail cap in a snare? Maybe entice it a bit with a gallon of non ethonal fuel, a beer, and a funnel cake?

couple of model A rims, hooked to a chain out by the curb, should suffice.................!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:53 PM   #9
dansluck

Send a message via AIM to dansluck Send a message via Yahoo to dansluck

Check Craiglist fro someone selling parts.
dansluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:36 PM   #10
Clem Clement

During the time I lived in Medford, NJ, I ran an add in the local paper asking for Model A parts. Some nice lady ordered me over to her place to get that doodle bug motor outa here for free. I did pay for a length of chain I needed.
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:26 AM   #11
BILL WILLIAMSON

A junk Model A wheel, suspended in your Street Tree, will do it! Or a hose reel, made from a wire wheel.
Bill W.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:37 AM   #12
J Wade

wasn't there a map where A owners posted their location a while back
J Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:29 AM   #13
jimjordan2

Well, the guy that trapped me used Apple Pie Moonshine back in Iowa.
Worked and went down real smooth, and sold me a car.
I wonder if when it gets delivered it will have a case of quart jars in the wayback?
Another question, will that Model A run on moonshine?
jimjordan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 04:46 PM   #14
goodcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldforder View Post
I am quite new to this forum, so would like to tell you a few thing about myself. I am old, as my 75th Bday will be on St pats day. I feel old in my bones, but not in my mind. I have been a mechanic all my life. I went to school for diesel farm tractor, but didn't work as that for long, and went to work at a ford dealer as an auto mechanic. Then at an independent garage, then opened my own shop where I repaired cars till early 1980s. Then my sideline business of selling and repairing lawnmowers and other OPE became so large and cars started to get kinda computerized, so phased out the auto business, but of course repaired my own. I am now retired. About 10 years ago, I decided I would like a classic car to take to shows just for the fun of it. At the present time I have a 64 for ranchero that is only driver quality, and a 65 mustang 6 cyl. automatic, that is show quality. AND of course the 29 Tudor that I bought last fall. I got it from a guy that had started on it but claimed health problems. It has driver quality paint, and an interior that was probably done when it was painted, probably 40 or 50 years ago?? It runs very good, and drives nice and stops ok. It has new top, and new tires, and lots of new front end and steering parts, It needed some minor wiring fixed, and I put on turn signals that I kinda built myself. ANYWAY, there is no local model A club, and although I am very active in the local mustang club, (past president) nobody knows ANYTHING about model As. I think there a few around the area, and would like to see if anybody would like to form a local club. The closest clubs to me are in Lincoln 75 miles and Omaha 80 miles.
Herman Gragert in St. Edward has a Model A. Check with him.
goodcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:24 PM   #15
pbishop

I love your inset 'pic'. Most regular folks like an 'A' that is all painted up, but us old 'Model A' guys love them all - especially the weathered 'straight out of the barn look'. I bought my 31 Coupe even as I was walking up to it sitting in a barn in an orange grove. Thank you Mr. Youngblood for holding on to the car for 65 years until I arrived.
pbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 10:43 PM   #16
ricconhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldforder View Post

Oldforder, I've been trying to contact you the last few weeks. I'm just up the street in Wayne, NE
Old 08-09-2020, 04:21 AM   #17
Wick

Nice car. Just drive it to a farm supply store on a weekend morning. A. Hardee's parking lot is good place to park also. Model A folks like having a biscuit in the morning. If I see a model A in a parking lot,I'm having a look. Perfect Bait!
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:04 AM   #18
David R.

I feel like I’m in a model A desert. No local clubs near me. Went to antique car show and was very disappointed. All I saw were hot rods. I was about to leave when one guy showed up in a nice original A sedan, with a crack in the windshield, rattling and smoking a little but running like a sewing machine. The only real antique car there, and the only thing there that interested me. Somehow a 50’s Ford with a 70’s Chevy engine doesn’t interest me at all.
David R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:07 AM   #19
Bruce of MN

Where in WV? I am in VA, near Charles Town.
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:12 AM   #20
David R.

I am in Hurricane. About 5 hours away from Charles Town.
David R. is offline   Reply With Quote