Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-22-2018, 12:04 PM   #1
fred93

Default Need help attaching door glass to bottom metal channel

I have searched the forums for answers to this question but I haven't succeeded in finding what I needed.

I am ready to install the bottom metal channel that the door glass fits into and the it attaches to the regulator.

I have the new rubber setting material and new glass, but what is the best way to attach the channel to the glass???

Place the rubber material onto the glass and hold in place with masking tape??

Lube the rubber with???? to help it slip into the channel????

Someone said he used woodworking clamps to squeeze the two pieces together????

Turn glass with bottom edge up and tap channel onto glass with a BFH????

I'm lost--please help!
Old 11-22-2018, 12:55 PM   #2
midgetracer

Default Re: Need help attaching door glass to bottom metal channel

Turn the glass with the bottom edge up and set on a piece of carpet and tap channel onto glass with a rawhide mallet.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 08:52 AM   #3
desotoguy

I use a mixture of water and dish soap for lube. As others have said, I might add, tap along channel lightly until channel is seated.
desotoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 09:13 AM   #4
kenparker

I just put the glass in the driver door Wednesday. No problem. First make sure your window channel is squeeky clean on the inside - where the glass and cork/rubber go.

Two. Set glass in channel, without sealer, and mark glass with black marker to get channel centered on bottom of glass. remove glass from channel.

Three. Fold cork/rubber/fabric sealer and set into channel about 1/4 of the way all the way across. Do not push it into the bottom of the channel. The glass will push it to the bottom.

Four. smear dish soap on bottom of glass - both sides , then push it between the cork and partially into the channel. Lining channel up with black marks you made on the glasss. It should go about one fourth way to the bottom with just pressure from the heal of your hand.

Five. Set top of glass on edge on wooden tabletop with towel or blanket to protect glass. Then using leather mallet or rubber hammer (I had a rubber mallet) tap channel further onto glass. Working from side to side - little at the time. Do not force it. Careful wiht those hammer strokes.---this is not a piece of Texas drill stem pipe - its glass. You are tapping on the metal channel, NOT on the glass itself.

six. Install glass and chnnel in door and clean glass with Windex. See was not hard.

??? Is yur glass laminated or tempered. Just curious, cause, i used tempered cause it was half the price. Even at $58 I thot tempered glass was high. The glass guy said laminated could cost douboe that. I might need a new glass guy.
The top and sided of the glass were finished (rounded) different from the bottom (not rounded)
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 11:56 AM   #5
fred93

I have tempered glass --thanks for your detailed method-- I feel much more confident now that I have this info.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:00 AM   #6
jw hash

what body are you working on, the slant window bodies use a setting rubber with a lip on the outside. most other bodies use a cork setting tape.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 02:26 PM   #7
hazelhoff

For what it's worth, I use the 3M sealant to attach the rubber to the glass. Then let it stay overnight. Then put oil on the rubber, people say the rubber will expand over time due to adding oil. Then put the channel on, have it laying flat on the bench, starting with one end and then pushing it on using nothing more than your fist. thereafter the rubber will expand (oil). Giving sufficient pressure to hold everything together.
hazelhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 01:49 PM   #8
fred93

29 Tudor--sorry for the lag --been really busy lately. Thanks for your reply.