Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-10-2019, 12:49 AM   #21
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: Model B engine serial number question

You might want to check out the back issues of the Secrets of Speed Society magazine. I think I saw something about rebuilding the engine in that magazine.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:59 AM   #22
M2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsr490 View Post

Here we go:
1st Picture is of the block,
2nd Only casting mark on the top of the head is the "C"
3rd Is the date of the head April 30th 1937 correct?
4th Is the date of the block July 23rd 1962 correct
5th is the side cover

The block is Russian and yes it seems to be the date you mentioned. What's the engine number...or has that been changed to match a US Title?

Head is not Russian. Remember that Russian B heads used metric plugs.

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:30 AM   #23
lsr490

M2M the number has been changed, and I was 99.9% positive it was not a Russian head.
Thanks for verifying things for me
Charlie thanks for the info as well.
Still the unanswered question... quality of the casting?
Again thanks,
Bill
lsr490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:32 AM   #24
lsr490

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
This may be a dumb question but is there any reason you don't just post them directly on Fordbarn?

Charlie Stephens
They wont up load for me, not sure what I'm doing wrong
Old 01-10-2019, 11:58 AM   #25
ursus

QUOTE: "Still the unanswered question... quality of the casting?

I have been told by several sources that the Russian castings were of superior quality compared to the Ford Model B castings, which are notorious for cracks. The appearance of the Russian castings is less attractive.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:33 PM   #26
lsr490

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursus View Post
QUOTE: The appearance of the Russian castings is less attractive.
You are dead on, base on the external appearance that's what made me question the integrity.
Everyone thanks for all the info
Bill
Old 01-10-2019, 06:27 PM   #27
hardtimes

Quote:
You are dead on, base on the external appearance that's what made me question the integrity.
Everyone thanks for all the info
Bill
I don't know anything of your 'casting', whether you meant inside and/or outside, in your original posting.

I can tell you that my Russian B casting inside and outside was and is equal to or better than domestic B castings. B castings is all I've ever worked with !

My engine was complete and in cosmoline when purchased. I only used the block for a rebuild and it was machined for different reasons. The casting had no flaws which were revealed via machining and it still runs strong with no cracks/no leaks !
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:51 PM   #28
lsr490

So now that were a page and a half into this, lets start from the beginning.
I've been looking for a CC31PU for over 2 years, this past July the stars aligned.
So my dream truck before the purchase was a stock looking, driving truck.With the plan to start slowly making it mine, hydraulic brakes, t170-176 hybrid trans and a strong 4 cylinder, NO V8.
What I found was a really nice looking California PU with freshly rebuilt mechanical brakes, CI drums, Flathead Teds ect... which I love. It has a New Mitchell transmission and overdrive.. no notched crossmember or split wishbone for me. The truck has a "B" motor in it which was a plus.
So the current plans are Tatterfield intake, Holley 94, Mallory distributor. I've been communicating with Tod Buttermore about a 6:1 "B" head that coming soon. Long term maybe a replacement block, and last but not least the cookbook, Jim Brierley 4 bangers and me.
Now here is where this strange twist of fate kicks in, I ran across this tread.
Before the thread I was really considering a replacement block based on the questionable soundness of a "B" block, I've not been inside of it but the outside had in my opinion a lot of casting flash, but I believe I'm in the clear.
So now I have bared my soul based on years of lurking some will say this belongs on the HAMB, but this is not a Pinto motor, so I'm here to stay
So a little about me ...I'm an A&P Mechanic not a novelist so please forgive my grammar and punctation.
Thanks again
Old 01-10-2019, 08:22 PM   #29
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
So now that were a page and a half into this, lets start from the beginning.
I've been looking for a CC31PU for over 2 years, this past July the stars aligned.
So my dream truck before the purchase was a stock looking, driving truck.With the plan to start slowly making it mine, hydraulic brakes, t170-176 hybrid trans and a strong 4 cylinder, NO V8.
What I found was a really nice looking California PU with freshly rebuilt mechanical brakes, CI drums, Flathead Teds ect... which I love. It has a New Mitchell transmission and overdrive.. no notched crossmember or split wishbone for me. The truck has a "B" motor in it which was a plus.
So the current plans are Tatterfield intake, Holley 94, Mallory distributor. I've been communicating with Tod Buttermore about a 6:1 "B" head that coming soon. Long term maybe a replacement block, and last but not least the cookbook, Jim Brierley 4 bangers and me.
Now here is where this strange twist of fate kicks in, I ran across this tread.
Before the thread I was really considering a replacement block based on the questionable soundness of a "B" block, I've not been inside of it but the outside had in my opinion a lot of casting flash, but I believe I'm in the clear.
So now I have bared my soul based on years of lurking some will say this belongs on the HAMB, but this is not a Pinto motor, so I'm here to stay
So a little about me ...I'm an A&P Mechanic not a novelist so please forgive my grammar and punctation.
Thanks again
If I had a Model B engine in a Model A Ford I would run one of the many heads designed for the Model A (as a mater of that is what I am doing). I think Tod makes one. High quality rebuilt 4 bolt water pumps are more available than the 3 bolt ones. I think the 3 bolt pump would put a slight kink in the upper hose on a Model A but I can't say that I have seen it, is anyone doing it?

By the way, what is a "t170-176 hybrid trans"?

You should put your general location in your profile.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 01-10-2019 at 09:11 PM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:47 AM   #30
lsr490

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
If I had a Model B engine in a Model A Ford I would run one of the many heads designed for the Model A (as a mater of that is what I am doing). I think Tod makes one. High quality rebuilt 4 bolt water pumps are more available than the 3 bolt ones. I think the 3 bolt pump would put a slight kink in the upper hose on a Model A but I can't say that I have seen it, is anyone doing it?

By the way, what is a "t170-176 hybrid trans"?

You should put your general location in your profile.

Charlie Stephens
Currently running a NOS water pump and I have a spare.
Everything I have is already setup for a "B", so I'm just going to change the head.
Well I guess I've hit a few nerves on my "T170-176" hybrid based on my PM's this morning. All i can say to that is I currently have a Mitchell trans and overdrive, so that puts that project off the stove. I however one day may to Tech on it, but not on this thread.
Thanks for the heads up on the profile, I guess it slip my mind.
Thanks again
Bill

Last edited by lsr490; 01-11-2019 at 03:48 AM. Reason: spelling