Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-30-2018, 02:19 PM   #1
gustafson
BANNED

Default Beware

Know of a guy who tried to install a new Brassworks rad. Only problem is lower outlet way too small, hose way too loose. Beware

Last edited by gustafson; 05-30-2018 at 02:31 PM.
gustafson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 02:30 PM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: Beware

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
Just tried to install a new Brassworks rad. Only problem is lower outlet way too small, hose way too loose. When queried, they said they only had the 1 1/2" diam size in stock, and that it didn;t make any difference, since Ford did not have a spec for the outlet anyway. Guy was rude, as well. Told me to wrap duct tape around it and be happy. Now I have a $785 radiator which is useless. No returns.

Berg's and others are looking good right now
Be sure to send them a link to this post, they (especially their management) should find it interesting. I am sure Ford had a spec for that outlet since they all came out the same size. It is called a drawing. Let us know if anything improves.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 05:42 PM   #3
1931 flamingo

Co says Ford's drawing had no size. Their suggestion was to wrap friction tape around lower outlet......................................
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 05:45 PM   #4
gustafson
BANNED

that's BS and we all know it....
The vendors that make the hoses seems to know the correct size
Old 05-30-2018, 08:37 PM   #5
SeaSlugs

yea even on brassworks website they claim the outlets they measured were 1 11/16 so they went with 1 5/8"? said if it fits loose wrap duct tape around the outlet then slip the hose on... Yea thats great quality...

Go with Bergs - pricey but have heard nothing bad about the radiators or the company. looks like brassworks went to China or Vietnam for labor or tooling or something. For what you pay for one it should be a nearly drop in and go item with all the holes lined up.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:11 AM   #6
rocket1

Return that piece of junk,demand a full refund,idiots,wrap tape around it!Thanks for the heads up about the quality.
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:47 AM   #7
FrankWest

Shame on them! Too blatant error...If, as they said, Ford drawing did NOT have size, They should have held up production until they had the specs. If they could not obtain they specs they should have corresponded with you and found out what size hose you would be using and where your purchased it.Then they could have designed to fitting to fit your hoses.

Last edited by FrankWest; 05-31-2018 at 07:44 AM.
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:30 AM   #8
russcochiolo

My experience was different. I drove over to the shop, got a tour and picked up my radiator. All dimensions were right on and it does the job. I still recommend Brassworks.
russcochiolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:49 AM   #9
hazelhoff

In Holland we have a shop installing new Brasswork core, reusing your original upper and lower tank
hazelhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:50 AM   #10
Dick So. Cal.

Been running Brassworks radiators in both my As for 15 years and never had a leak problem. Or any problem with heating.
Only problem I had was my cars ran too cool! Had to add 160 deg thermostats. . . .

Dick
Dick So. Cal. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:19 PM   #11
Barry B./ Ma.

I had a Brassworks on my coupe, the only problem I had was the mounting holes were never drilled so I had to drill them out. Made me wonder how that passed inspection but it is a nice cool running radiator. I should note, the hoses fit nicely.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 03:13 PM   #12
old car guy

Just a ignorant question. Why if the lower pipe diameter is to small couldn’t you you a muffler tailpipe expander to increase the diameter or size of the pipe with out much difficulty. I use to do on other radiators when the size was off. I can’t see why it would be any different just because it was a model a radiator .
Old 05-31-2018, 03:16 PM   #13
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
that's BS and we all know it....
The vendors that make the hoses seems to know the correct size

That's funny right there because evidently you don't know either!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 03:30 PM   #14
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWest View Post
Shame on them! Too blatant error...If, as they said, Ford drawing did NOT have size, They should have held up production until they had the specs. If they could not obtain they specs they should have corresponded with you and found out what size hose you would be using and where your purchased it.Then they could have designed to fitting to fit your hoses.

OK, this has been discussed on another forum already so some of this is redundant but the truth of the matter is there is way more to this than what some are giving credit for. First-off, this information is posted on their website, so a prospective buyer who is prudent will look at all the info FIRST before they place the order.

FWIW, I have looked and I'm pretty sure the original print of the water connector is NOT at the archives. Maybe you can find it, but I have the same print as Lee does for the A-8005-B Assembly Drawing, ...and he is correct that the dimensions are not listed on that print. If you will take note, he explains that he has original tanks to use as samples and he knows what the correct size is supposed to be. His problem is he can build it correctly but the hose manufacturers don't.

Now here is why this entire thread is SO asinine is that if someone really wants to have a the best experience, you send Brassworks your radiator shell AND you specify whether you are using the off-shore brand of reproduction hoses, the US-manufactured reproduction hoses, --or original Ford-made hoses. They can assemble your radiator that will give years of service where everything fits perfectly. If you don't want to spend the effort upfront, then do you really have the right to bitch, ….especially if the manufacturer is very upfront about these issues and prints them on their website for everyone to read??.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 04:33 PM   #15
gustafson
BANNED

There is a slight problem to be dealt with here, sir, and that is that Vince Falter says the original hose size is 1 3/4
http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/Radi...nstruction.htm
Old 05-31-2018, 08:35 PM   #16
42merc

The trouble with this & other 'bad part' rants is you only hear one side of the story.
42merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 12:13 AM   #17
J Franklin

Amen!
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 12:30 AM   #18
cpf240

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42merc View Post
The trouble with this & other 'bad part' rants is you only hear one side of the story.
A person from BW is posting in the thread mentioned on another site about this issue.
cpf240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 01:30 AM   #19
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

I have never read about this problem with brassworks radiators in the past. What has changed I wonder?
Old 06-01-2018, 10:41 AM   #20
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
OK, this has been discussed on another forum already so some of this is redundant but the truth of the matter is there is way more to this than what some are giving credit for. First-off, this information is posted on their website, so a prospective buyer who is prudent will look at all the info FIRST before they place the order.

FWIW, I have looked and I'm pretty sure the original print of the water connector is NOT at the archives. Maybe you can find it, but I have the same print as Lee does for the A-8005-B Assembly Drawing, ...and he is correct that the dimensions are not listed on that print. If you will take note, he explains that he has original tanks to use as samples and he knows what the correct size is supposed to be. His problem is he can build it correctly but the hose manufacturers don't.

Now here is why this entire thread is SO asinine is that if someone really wants to have a the best experience, you send Brassworks your radiator shell AND you specify whether you are using the off-shore brand of reproduction hoses, the US-manufactured reproduction hoses, --or original Ford-made hoses. They can assemble your radiator that will give years of service where everything fits perfectly. If you don't want to spend the effort upfront, then do you really have the right to bitch, ….especially if the manufacturer is very upfront about these issues and prints them on their website for everyone to read??.

Brent,

I have to agree with your statement. I visited the Brassworks shop a year ago when we were in Cental California and that is how he explained it to me. He said bring in your radiator or send it to him and he will take measurements so it will fit your car. If you prefer, he can re-core your Radiator.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote