Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-29-2011, 06:48 PM   #1
Mr. Nostalgia

Default Model T driver dies week after S.E. Minn. crash

The driver of a 1915 Model T has died after a wheel fell off the vintage vehicle and it crashed on a southeastern Minnesota highway, authorities said.

Kenneth W. Meek, 64, of St. Clair, Mo., died at St. Marys Hospital in Rochester on Wednesday, one week after the crash west of Chatfield on Hwy. 30, according to the State Patrol.

Meek's wife, Margaret, 68, was hospitalized with noncritical injuries, the State Patrol said.

The Meeks were participating in a Model T Ford Club International multistate tour.

The Meeks' car rolled twice on eastbound Hwy. 30, throwing them from the vehicle.

"I don't believe there were seat belts [added to] the vehicle," Patrol Lt. Eric Roeske said, adding that state law does not require seat belts for vehicles manufactured before 1964.

He said Kenneth Meek "lost control and rolled" the car.

PAUL WALSH

http://www.startribune.com/local/126332013.html
Mr. Nostalgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:48 PM   #2
Greg Jones

Default Re: Model T driver dies week after S.E. Minn. crash

My heart goes out to the family of this man, and I am sad about his death.

We should all think about the safety of installing the floating rear hubs on our cars. Having an axle break means you can lose your wheel with rather dire consequences. And today we tend to drive these old buggies as fast as they can go in fast traffic, with people right on our tail. I shudder to think what would happen if I lost a wheel and even just came to an abrupt halt. I seriously doubt the guy in back would be anticipating such a thing and could react quickly enough to keep from plowing in to me. Rocky Mountain or other auxiliary brakes are a great idea, too. Not original, no, but quite sane in today's world.
Greg Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:54 PM   #3
Doug Money

He didn't break an axle, he broke a front spring perch and he had disc brakes on the back too.
Doug Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:24 AM   #4
t42

I have read other posts about Mr. Meek's contributions to the hobby and his thorough knowledge of Model T's. He sounds like a very dedicated and detail oriented hobbiest. I never met him, but I am saddened by his passing.

Many related comments have addressed the road worthyness of early vintage autos. No matter how hard we try to restore these autos we have to remember they were not built for speed and endurance. They were to built to make our society more mobile, and affordable to the general public. Did the manufactures skimp on safety? Probably. Did they build them as cheaply as possible? Probably. Were they built for speed? Probably not, depending on mfg'r. In the day, roads were poor and speed was minimal. There will always be pros and cons concerning should we or shouldn't we add safety and speed related items to vintage autos. The suspensions and frames weren't built for some the after market items available today. How much research has gone into the added stresses on a vintage chassis, let alone the metal fatique that happens over time? Newer is not always better.
This tragic accident will undoubtedly raise new questions, and open up new discussion topics.

Rest in peace Mr. Meeks.
My condolences to your family, and may your wife have a quick recovery.
t42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:50 PM   #5
Brother Hesekiel

You can leave your house and be shot by a gang banger. You cross the street and get hit by a bus. You ride you motorcycle and get wiped out by a drunk driver. Or, you don't leave the house and get burned alive and buried by rubbish during an earthquake. Nobody gets out of life alive, nobody, so when the time is up, what could be a better way to pass on than dying doing what one loves?

There is no way to prevent accidents and there is no absolute safety. You can never drive a car again, never ride a motorcycle or bicycle again, never leave the house again, stay away from knifes and forks, wear rubber boots when going into the slippery shower or even never shower again to reduce the risk of injury, but at the same time you will drastically reduce your quality of life.

I enjoy old cars because they transport me back to a simpler time. I was a private pilot and a successful racing car driver. My business partner runs a '29 Roadster in Bonneville and El Mirage at way over 200mph. When doing what we love, whether it's surfing, diving, dancing, sailing, rock climbing, or parachute jumping, we assume the risk associated with it. We try to be careful and cautious, but there are things that are beyond our control. Whether that's a drunk driver, a flood, a fire, a mechanical failure or an act of the Almighty himself doesn't matter: it's part of the contract you signed when choosing to enjoy life. I rather enjoy 64 years of an active, happy life that ends in a bang while I'm having a blast than 90 years of misery that come to a screeching halt when a nurse changes my adult diapers and is about to slide me back into my wheelchair or day bed.
Brother Hesekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:56 PM   #6
bob p

Amen!
bob p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:36 PM   #7
jchochole

Well said- get out there and enjoy life- it isn't a spectator sport!
jchochole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:40 PM   #8
JRiley

I am not involved in this hobby but I wanted to tell you Ken was always excited about his hobby and he was grateful to be retired doing what he loved to do. I met Ken through his office supply business almost 25 years ago. We've kept in contact throughout the years. I recently left my job after those 25 years and Ken called me last month to check on me. I was very shocked to say the least when I found out what had happened. His stepson and daughter have been running the business for some years now and I know they are very sadden by all of this. All I could ever get Ken to talk about is the good ole days of the office supply business, golf and Model T's. He was a good guy. Just my 2 cents in all of this. Thanks all. Jim Riley St Peters Mo
JRiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:30 PM   #9
Roadster62

Very sad to read about events like this, my thoughts and prayers are going out to his family and friends.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:14 PM   #10
Rofirestone

I had been on four tours this year with Ken & Marg. He helped me change my flat tire with his tools back in Feb. on a GA. tour. I have known him 6 or 7 years, been on several tours with him, I could call him for parts & he would send them & tell me to send a check when I got them. I could tell his voice before I could see him. Just another fine T guy gone.
I wish Marg, a speedy recovery.
Roy
Rofirestone is offline   Reply With Quote