Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-24-2020, 04:39 PM   #1
Blastfromthepast

Default 1936 lower radiator hoses installation

I’m having a problem with the installation of the bottom radiator hoses.
It seem I can’t tighten the clamps enough to keep them from pulling off.
I’m use to tightening hoses really tight but no matter what I do the hoses still seem to move to the point where I can pull them off. They are the correct hoses but they just don’t seem to hold. My radiator is a little lower then the radiator hoses and it’s seem to pull the hoses down. I’m not sure what kind of pressure the engine makes but it just doesn’t seem tight enough. Am I missing something. What’s the trick.
Blastfromthepast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 05:04 PM   #2
bbrocksr

Default Re: 1936 lower radiator hoses installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastfromthepast View Post
I’m having a problem with the installation of the bottom radiator hoses.
It seem I can’t tighten the clamps enough to keep them from pulling off.
I’m use to tightening hoses really tight but no matter what I do the hoses still seem to move to the point where I can pull them off. They are the correct hoses but they just don’t seem to hold. My radiator is a little lower then the radiator hoses and it’s seem to pull the hoses down. I’m not sure what kind of pressure the engine makes but it just doesn’t seem tight enough. Am I missing something. What’s the trick.
Have you got the hoses with the dogleg in them and are you putting them on dry/no sealer? Bill
bbrocksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 05:10 PM   #3
Blastfromthepast

Bill, thanks for your response. I’m not familiar when you say dogleg in them. Please explain.
I tried dry and them went to a silicone. Maybe not what I should have done but since
They where pulling off I figured maybe a sealer.
Old 10-24-2020, 05:13 PM   #4
Blastfromthepast

I’m thinking dogleg means a bend in the hose?
They are straight hoses and wasn’t aware of the bend in the hoses
And who makes them
Old 10-24-2020, 05:23 PM   #5
Willit Stop

Is it possible that you have the wrong year water inlets/motor mounts? 35 and 36's are a little different. One of them sticks straight out and the other tips down about 15 degrees. Just a thought.
Willit Stop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 05:40 PM   #6
Blastfromthepast

They are correct water inlets/motor mounts.
When I removed the original one I had a tough time taking them off.
The new ones are identical but slip on. Theres very little force putting them on.
I’m thinking that there had to be some type of sealer used.
Old 10-24-2020, 06:01 PM   #7
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
They are correct water inlets/motor mounts.
When I removed the original one I had a tough time taking them off.
The new ones are identical but slip on. Theres very little force putting them on.
I’m thinking that there had to be some type of sealer used.
That sounds like the hoses are oversize. They should be at least a little difficult to get on.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 06:48 PM   #8
Floyd

The straight hoses are correct for your installation. Doglegs are for later engines fitted into early cars.. First off, why is radiator lower? Can you shim it up? I could not get my 32 lower hoses to seal and they have the kinda same outlet to radiator alignment- straight hose. Solution was to get the good hose clamps made by A and L Specialties. This assuming you want to use original style clamps. All of the original style repro cheap clamps are junk. The A & L ones worked great and solved the problem immediately. If you are using worm drive clamps then I am out.
Show us a picture.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 06:52 PM   #9
koates

Back in the day it seems that radiator hoses were thicker and stiffer and impregnated with a fabric material. Once they were on they did not move because they fitted tightly even without the clamp. Many modern hoses are thin soft rubber and seem to slip off easily even with the clamps fitted. Be fussy and try to inspect the hose before you buy it. I think some is also a metric size and not imperial. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 08:16 PM   #10
Blastfromthepast

Thanks everyone for your help. I’m going to look into A and L specialties for the clamps.
I’m also going to try a little Indian shellac gasket sealer with clamps. I’ll let it dry on and then try to install the radiator. I also found out from other forums that the company called Fastenal has something called T-bolt clamps. I heard that it will hold any hose on.
I give it a try and let you know what I found to work. Thank again fellas, Blast.
Old 10-24-2020, 08:22 PM   #11
bbrocksr

Quote:
I’m thinking dogleg means a bend in the hose?
They are straight hoses and wasn’t aware of the bend in the hoses
And who makes them
They have a slight bend in them. They are stock lower hoses for a 49-50 Ford V8/8ba. You can get them from any parts store that sells Gates hoses, Napa probably has them too.I used them on my 36 and they fit good.

Put them on dry, any sealer or silicone just allows them to slip,
Bill

PS The lower outlet/ motor mount is really short so using straight hoses and then pulling down on them would make it harder to keep them on.
bbrocksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 08:30 PM   #12
Blastfromthepast

Thank you bbrocksr, Sounds like an alternative. I will definitely look into it. Thank you.
Old 10-25-2020, 07:45 AM   #13
Bob56

Did you ever get a hold of A and L Specialties? I read a post that he only deals with vendors now, no retail
Bob56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:37 AM   #14
Blastfromthepast

I’m going to call A and L Monday.
I’ll let you know what’s going on with their retail end.
Old 10-25-2020, 11:06 AM   #15
Bob C

Here's a link to some A&L info.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...6amp%3BL+parts
Bob C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 12:34 PM   #16
swedishsteel

I have two '36's. It is very difficult to get the hoses on and off as the distance between the radiator outlet and the block outlet is very short. I have to push one end on as far as it will go and then try to bend the hose back far enough to get it started on the other end. Hard for me to understand how your hoses will "fall off". Pictures might help. Good luck. Rod
swedishsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 05:24 PM   #17
Blastfromthepast

Hi swedishsteel, the problem isn’t that the hoses are falling off its when I put the lower hoses on and tighten the clamps I’m able to turn the hoses. It seem that I am unable to get them tight enough and I’m thinking that it will cause a leak. Also I noticed that the hoses are straight but the radiator is a little lower then the motor mounts water inlet causing the lower hose to pull down possibly causing a leak.
Old 10-25-2020, 07:28 PM   #18
35fordtn

As mentioned previously. Are you certain you have the correct engine mounts? The 1936's angled down slightly to accommodate the issue you are having.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 07:43 PM   #19
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Hi swedishsteel, the problem isn’t that the hoses are falling off its when I put the lower hoses on and tighten the clamps I’m able to turn the hoses. It seem that I am unable to get them tight enough and I’m thinking that it will cause a leak. Also I noticed that the hoses are straight but the radiator is a little lower then the motor mounts water inlet causing the lower hose to pull down possibly causing a leak.
Sounds like the diameter of the hose is too large for the outlet.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 11:19 PM   #20
VeryTangled

ID'ing the inlets as 35/36... Wouldn't '36 carry a 68 part number prefix with '35's having a 48? You can see the part number location in the first and fourth pics.

As for pressure blowing a hose off, the cooling was an unpressurized system with an overflow tube high up in the radiator venting air to the atmosphere when it wasn't spewing overflow (as long as it's not clogged). So that wouldn't be as big a concern as a fluid leak. Original radiator caps (and filler necks) aren't designed to hold pressure as far as I know, they just stop fluid from spilling out.

Another possibility I will throw out there...

The engine mounts/water inlets have a tendency to rot away in the neck and become shorter which ironically make the hoses easer to install. This would also be a factor in making them easier to get to come off.

This issue caused me to source a near-virgin 1935 pair from Third Gen Automotive (35fordtn two posts above) when I did an engine swap in 2018.

I had a buddy-welder-tinkerer refurb another pair of '35 inlets by adding material sort of as an experiment, which was a success but I'd use it as a last resort because there were multiple challenges with that route, and the replacement parts weren't that pricey.

I've done the lower hoses too many times on my 35 and 36, most people, me included, find them hard to get wedged into place and use tricks like heating them up to increase flexibility. You seem not to be in that camp blastfromthepast.

Has anyone asked where the hoses in question were sourced?

For about the last ten years the same kit with a red stripe down the hose has been supplied by the typical vendors. The hoses come a bit too long in my experience. They also come with the original looking clamps made from tinfoil that you should gift to the person you don't like all that much. (Don't hate the vendor, hate the manufacturer who makes clamps from crap metal.)

Here's another one I just thought of... How fresh are your engine mount rubbers? Those things can collapse an inch or more and that would definitely put the hose at a worse angle.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1935 Water Inlets 4.jpg (31.4 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg 1935 Water Inlets 3.jpg (32.8 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg 1935 Water Inlets 2.jpg (28.7 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg 1935 Water Inlets 1.jpg (27.2 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (43.3 KB, 117 views)

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?

Last edited by VeryTangled; 10-26-2020 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Add pics & part number tip
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote