Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-02-2020, 08:27 PM   #21
Ol' Ron

Default Re: 8BA Truck Motor - Oil

I run my bearings alittle on the loose side so mu oil pressure is alittle low. I also run my engines hot, use a 180 stat and the fan kicks in at 200. I run a 3 lb cap and sometimes on a hot day might see 21-/215 oil pressure is about 10 at idle and 30/40 at speed. Now what I want you to do is get your engine hot and remove the plug on the oil pump output why the engine is idling. I did this once on an old engine I was working on and the oil shot out of the port and half way across the driveway, before I could
d shut the engine off I lost 2 qts of oil. This is call flow and it cools the bearing. at 50lbs your setting up a resistance to flow and the bearings will run hotter. And as any competent engine builder will tell you heat is the bearings enemy. However, Yes it does work, It's a lubricant, and the engine is overdesigned.

Back in my racing days I used hi volume pumps and shimmed up therelief spring and ran 40 wt racing oil. I changed bering every 3 or 4 weeks, finally broke a crank due to the erosion to 80 lbs of oil mad to the crank. It was part of the learning process years later we could run a whole season on one set of bearings.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 09:14 PM   #22
56markII

Since I don't live in Arizona or Furnace Creek AND if I'm lucky I have a summer that reaches 90 degrees instead of 50's or 60's for temps up in the Snow Mexican Republic of Canuckastan�� and for over 30 years all I ever ran in my 50 Mercury with a 255 is 5W30!
Around 80,000 miles on it since I rebuilt it in the 80's and I still get 40-50psi at idle and 75+psi on the highway and yes my gauge is working properly. For those who think they need oil as thick as gear oil look under the hood of a modern Ford truck and notice 5w20 on the oil cap! For years Oldsmobile has had 5W30 recommended including in the big boats with 455Cu. Another reason for light oil other than keeping the engine cleaner by better splash is the valves are only lubricated by mist which is cast off the connecting rods and flies up through small holes in the lifter valley. I ran 15W40 one year and when I pulled my car out of winter storage many of the valves were sticking until I let the engine roar on fast idle for a while. It's comical listening to valves snapping shut after the engine is shut off and is cooling down. Oh yes not only do I use lighter oil, I even tossed the oil deflectors snapped on the oil lubrication pipe in the valley to allow more oil to fly up there with NO noticeable increase in oil consumption after all the valve stems are hanging down and not pointing up like an overhead valve engine! A little experiment I did so I leave them off because even if consumption increases a tiny bit, it doesn't bother me.
56markII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 11:16 PM   #23
Ol' Ron

I don't understand why the pressure is so HIgh ????????
Old 04-03-2020, 07:51 PM   #24
Mike A Model

I would like to thank everyone for their valued recommendations, they are all appreciated.

Mike
Mike A Model is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 08:15 PM   #25
philipswanson

30w Rotella. I want to avoid oil leaks you get with 10w or 20w oils. I live in sunny SoCa though.
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 11:49 PM   #26
GB SISSON

15-40 diesel oil, usually Delo or Shell rotella . You do know you've opened up Pandora's box don't you!
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 09:59 AM   #27
Ol' Ron

If you were dealing with an aircraft engine?? would you ignore the manufacturer's recommendations??