Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-08-2017, 07:09 PM   #1
Licensed to kill

Default Just playing with my new toy

So, it rained today so i had some time to look over my new toy ('31 fordor). I'm told it has not been driven on the road in something like 30 years. Threw it up on the lift ( a bit of a chore with a 2 post with the brake rods in the way) and greased it I'm sure for the first time in those 30 years. Only 2 alemite zerks, all the rest are the original ones but fortunately, when I bought my '31 DD it had a grease gun under the seat. They all took grease readily save the clutch pedal. Everything looks and feels nice and tight. Wiring for the tail light was a mess so I redid it. The brake pedal was lower than the clutch pedal so I adjusted it to find that the brake light stayed on (probably why it was misadjusted in the first place). There was a slight bend in the rod from the pedal, straightened it out and the light went out. If fixed the drivers door latch, it wasn't working right and while in there found that it had the wrong window regulator so ordered the right one. Regarding the starting and running of the car in my other thread, I have found that it starts and runs best with the gav turned in all the way. It idles well but when I rev it up it shakes and is rather loud. I checked the rear motor mounts and the rubbers are new on the one side but not on the other. haven't checked the front one yet. The oil leak was mostly from the transmission. Found it to be way over full. Small leak from the rear seal it appears. Tires are good for holding it up in a garage but I will be putting new ones on it next year as I plan to drive it and the tires are too old for that IMO. BTW, how much grease should a guy give the zerks at the ends of the rear axle??.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:10 PM   #2
1930artdeco

Default Re: Just playing with my new toy

I was always told two to three squirts as you don't want it to get pushed past the oil seal.

Mike
Old 09-08-2017, 08:14 PM   #3
BILL WILLIAMSON

I'd pull the rear hubs & grease the roller bearings with Wheel Bearing Grease.
Bill Picky?
Old 09-08-2017, 08:17 PM   #4
Bob C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post
So, it rained today so i had some time to look over my new toy ('31 fordor). I'm told it has not been driven on the road in something like 30 years. Threw it up on the lift ( a bit of a chore with a 2 post with the brake rods in the way) and greased it I'm sure for the first time in those 30 years. Only 2 alemite zerks, all the rest are the original ones but fortunately, when I bought my '31 DD it had a grease gun under the seat. They all took grease readily save the clutch pedal. Everything looks and feels nice and tight. Wiring for the tail light was a mess so I redid it. The brake pedal was lower than the clutch pedal so I adjusted it to find that the brake light stayed on (probably why it was misadjusted in the first place). There was a slight bend in the rod from the pedal, straightened it out and the light went out. If fixed the drivers door latch, it wasn't working right and while in there found that it had the wrong window regulator so ordered the right one. Regarding the starting and running of the car in my other thread, I have found that it starts and runs best with the gav turned in all the way. It idles well but when I rev it up it shakes and is rather loud. I checked the rear motor mounts and the rubbers are new on the one side but not on the other. haven't checked the front one yet. The oil leak was mostly from the transmission. Found it to be way over full. Small leak from the rear seal it appears. Tires are good for holding it up in a garage but I will be putting new ones on it next year as I plan to drive it and the tires are too old for that IMO. BTW, how much grease should a guy give the zerks at the ends of the rear axle??.
None, Pull the drums and pack the wheel bearings by hand.

Bob
Bob C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:32 PM   #5
Big hammer

Listen to Bill & Bob!
Old 09-08-2017, 08:41 PM   #6
Jerry Kzoo

Could be the reason for only new rubber on one side of the motor mounts is that some say they are thicker than originals and are tight to get in. Might require you to loosen body bolts and spread the frame slightly to replace the other side rubber. The bolts to the flywheel housing should be safety wired as well so check for holes in the bolt heads.

Good luck!

Jerry
Jerry Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:29 PM   #7
denniskliesen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post
Alemite grease fittings are original, Lincoln are modern. The vendors sell a Alemite end for your modern grease gun, they work good, at least mine does. Most of mine are original and I actually like them better. If you haven't already done it, check the differential level. If the driveshaft seal is bad it can transfer oil to the transmission I've been told in the past.
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 07:48 AM   #8
Kevin in NJ

I would not consider running any cars new to me until I pull all 4 wheels and inspect the brakes and check the bearings. This would include repacking if needed.

For me check the brakes would include checking drum diameter and such.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 06:54 AM   #9
Ford Acar

Or vice-versa!!
Ford Acar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 04:36 PM   #10
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

I hope you greased the rear brake lever bushings. Very high wear area and heavily loaded every time you push on the brake pedal. Located between the radius arm fingers. Easy to miss. Big job to replace them.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 10:02 AM   #11
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksonlll View Post
I hope you greased the rear brake lever bushings. Very high wear area and heavily loaded every time you push on the brake pedal. Located between the radius arm fingers. Easy to miss. Big job to replace them.
I just went through the rear brakes. Some of the grease zerks were missing so I replaced them. The bushings were pretty good, only had to replace them on one Ebrake lever. Thanks for the heads up. there's so many grease zerks on these that it would be easy to overlook some of the more hidden ones.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote