Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-26-2019, 04:32 PM   #1
37 Coupe

Default Two Model A questions.

Two things about the Model A Ford I would like to ask. Being involved in quite a few 1936-1948 V8 Fords over the years,the last 48 actually,I don't understand why some if not most think the original steel to steel contact on front radius rod ball is better than what Ford went to later with the rubber ball cushion or bushing. Other than originality why or what am I missing? Different physics or motion? I don't even understand why the original was not meant to be greased at intervals or mayby you just had to remove the cap. The other question is the many Model A Fords that use the reproduction stainless steel radiator guard. Do most use for looks or tour cars that really are protecting the radiator? It seems every Model A I looked at to buy had on of these installed hiding a bad core or beat up fins. I always liked the '31 for some reason over the others even when I had a '30 roadster 54 years ago and I don't think I will hide it.Now I just invested with shipping close to over $900 for a Gery Berg radiator so mayby the protection theory seems more feasible?Most radiators I damaged was inside over the years with a mistake or two made.
Old 06-26-2019, 04:51 PM   #2
RonC

Default Re: Two Model A questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 Coupe View Post
Two things about the Model A Ford I would like to ask. Being involved in quite a few 1936-1948 V8 Fords over the years,the last 48 actually,I don't understand why some if not most think the original steel to steel contact on front radius rod ball is better than what Ford went to later with the rubber ball cushion or bushing. Other than originality why or what am I missing? Different physics or motion? I don't even understand why the original was not meant to be greased at intervals or mayby you just had to remove the cap. The other question is the many Model A Fords that use the reproduction stainless steel radiator guard. Do most use for looks or tour cars that really are protecting the radiator? It seems every Model A I looked at to buy had on of these installed hiding a bad core or beat up fins. I always liked the '31 for some reason over the others even when I had a '30 roadster 54 years ago and I don't think I will hide it.Now I just invested with shipping close to over $900 for a Gery Berg radiator so mayby the protection theory seems more feasible?Most radiators I damaged was inside over the years with a mistake or two made.

The rubber would affect the Caster Angle
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 04:54 PM   #3
Gary WA

No rubber ball oiled by feltin housing,rubberball after market fix
Old 06-26-2019, 04:57 PM   #4
Gary WA

Radiator guard for looks I don't use
Old 06-26-2019, 05:03 PM   #5
Joe K

Regarding the ball - many keep the original setup. Perhaps for judging, or some perceived notion that replacement is not as good.

Others opt for the rubber ball somehow thinking that this will extend the life of the wishbone ball or "its what Ford and all the other makers went to" and must be an improvement (not always - cost cutting occurs.) Rubber, particularly older examples can "corrode" from the continuous presence of oil/grease in this area. But it is easily replaced. (I've never replaced mine.)

Metal to metal can wear either or both parts. A ball can be difficult to repair and use of the cupped "shims" strikes some as a "bandaid" fix. (which it is but an effective bandaid.)

So each has its pluses and minus.

There is a slight difference in caster with the aftermarket device - but the driving appears and feels the same. As I say, I've done both.

The stainless guard is a worthy protection of something which can cost now upwards of, as you say, $900? Can you blame anyone for opting for protection?

I don't like the look. Mine is a CC pickup. Pickups were tools designed for WORK - if they got beat up then it was a sign of money made, a job done, a family supported, and perhaps a satisfied customer?

But I can see the guard as more suitable to a "dressy" car.

And yes it may be hiding a beat-up core. But I bet its driven...

Except for appreciation of that last part about driving it I think you pretty much have the answers already?

There are choices in the Model A world. Just keep driving and don't look over your shoulder too long.

Joe K
Old 06-26-2019, 05:55 PM   #6
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonC View Post
The rubber would affect the Caster Angle
You would have to drop the radius ball over 1" to change the caster at the spindles 1°. I don't think the size of the rubber ball is going to effect caster or handling.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 06-26-2019 at 06:45 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 06:28 PM   #7
rotorwrench

These were inexpensive cars even back in 1928 and the replacement parts were cheap. I don't think anyone at Ford figured there would be so many running around near 90 years later. The rubber balls fill the gap after severe wear and it's a cheap fix.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 03:04 PM   #8
Dave in MN

I drive my Phaeton quite a bit. I found the rubber ball was in need of replacement every 8,000 - 10,000 miles. The rubber would be beat up/mashed and the front end would start shimmying occasionally. I changed to a new original style radius assembly and added a cone washer to make up for the wear at the radius ball. 30,000 miles later it is still working without issue. Our Route 66 road trip, taken in 2013, would have destroyed a rubber ball fitted assembly in short order. The benefit to the original style is that they can handle rough roads without component failure. JMO

I originally put a radiator guard on my Phaeton because the radiator and shell were in sad looking condition. The cover hid everything that was wrong. I have since changed the radiator and have a replacement shell I will install soon. I will keep the radiator guard as I have become accustomed to the way it looks.
Good Day!
Dave in MN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 03:38 PM   #9
Tudortomnz

When I got my car 50 years ago, it had the rubber ball replacement. It would shimmy & when we put a washer or even a penny [old NZ large coin] in, it still shimmied. In more recent years I put ball joint as original & no shimmy. There was a drip hole with split pin in bottom of bell housing that would supply oil to the ball, as designed by Henry. Rubber does not provide the movement/ caster required by the A set up & rots due to oil leakage.
Re the 'stone guards, these were very rare back in the A era & only seen on the odd tarted up '31 models. Now every one seems to think they are practical & look good but they obliterate the beautiful Model A 'shell & make it look like a lesser Chev. Also , on todays roads, is the radiator really in danger of rocks? My other hate object is the front toolbox which also ruins the appearance & gives a de facto Chev look- yuk. Cheers, Tom in NZ
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 04:40 PM   #10
J Franklin

How many windshields get rock chips? I think a stone guard is cheap insurance and could be painted satin black if it presents as too glitzy. A small rock can ruin a great tour and the wallet.

Last edited by J Franklin; 06-27-2019 at 04:49 PM.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 05:52 PM   #11
whirnot

I'm sure someone will disagree but I spent years in industrial ventilation, and if you put anything in front of that radiator it interupts air flow. To see how much just stack all the wires to the bottom and one side.
I for one will not risk a $5000 engine to protect a $600 radiator. Yes I took mine off as soon as I bought the truck.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 06:56 PM   #12
J Franklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
I'm sure someone will disagree but I spent years in industrial ventilation, and if you put anything in front of that radiator it interupts air flow. To see how much just stack all the wires to the bottom and one side.
I for one will not risk a $5000 engine to protect a $600 radiator. Yes I took mine off as soon as I bought the truck.
My thought is you can easily protect the engine from overheating by being aware and keeping the car running properly, and maybe relocating or removing the front plate. A flying rock is much harder to avoid.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 07:09 PM   #13
Synchro909

I recently built up a worn A frame ball with weld and resahaped it. NO shimmy. I've never owned or driven a car with the rubber ball but I can't see them lasting very long. I see them as a lazy man's fix.
As for the radiator guard, I have one on my Phaeton, the car I use to tow the camper all over Australia. I wouldn't think of going without it (or headlight covers) The windscreen and all of the rest of the front of the car for that matter is peppered with chips and dings. There is no way of knowing how many radiators it has saved (or headlight lenses the covers have saved)