Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-09-2019, 04:43 PM   #1
TJMack

Default Drag link assembly

I just got a new drag link and new innards for it. Does anyone have a picture showing how the parts go in. I can't use my old one for reference because parts were missing. I think I see how it goes, but I'd like to make sure.

The parts kit came with two small cups and two cups with a "stem" on them. I think one of the small cups goes in first in the end of the drag link that the pitman arm attaches to, and then the pitman arm ball, then the cup with the "stem" then the spring and then the screw cap and cotter pin. BUT, I'm not sure. Also, why would there be two small cups in the parts kit if only one is used?
TJMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:20 PM   #2
Bob C

Default Re: Drag link assembly

Click on the right picture in more views. https://www.brattons.com/original-st...build-kit.html

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:34 PM   #3
Y-Blockhead

https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/C...ions-10380.pdf
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:37 PM   #4
TJMack

Thanks for the quick response, Guys. This substantiates one of my infallible axioms; "NOTHING IS EVER EASY". Those two pictures contradict each other somewhat.

As is evident, the holes in the drag link are not the same distance from the ends. One is closer to the end and one is closer to the middle of the drag link.

The picture from Snyder's shows the pitman arm going into the end of the drag link that has the hole closer to the middle of the drag link as suggested for cars after October 1928 in both the catalog from Mac's and a 2016 copy of Bratton's.

The one from Bratton's shows the assembly like it would be for the earlier cars, i.e.; the pitman arm in the hole closer to the end of the drag link.

This is fine, but Bratton's shows both small cups being used, one between the pitman arm ball and the threaded end cap, and one on the inside of the steering arm ball at the other end. I don't see the value of the small cup between the threaded end cap and the pitman arm ball since the end cap is already radiused to fit the ball. But maybe there is a good reason.

Snyder's, on the other hand, shows only one small cup being used on the inside of the pitman arm ball. Maybe this is true for the later cars??

It's obvious that the small cup at the end closest to the middle of the link is needed to provide the radius cup for the ball, whichever way the drag link is installed.

With all this lengthy dissertation, it appears to me that it really doesn't make much difference which way the drag link is assembled as long as it all fits together with radiused cups at the balls..

I hope this wasn't too boring, or too wordy. I DO appreciate the help.
TJMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:01 AM   #5
Synchro909

Over the years, I have heard all sorts of justifications for assembly this way and that. At the end of it all, I have concluded pretty much as you - it doesn't really matter too much. The wheels will still go round and round!
Old 01-10-2019, 05:14 PM   #6
Benson

THe drag link was redesigned. Service Bulletin page 290 has picture of what they did.

I do not have either catalog ...

Most likely the differences are in the drawings each company used one may have been before changes and the other AFTER changes.

The changes involve the location of the hole ... whether hole is close to end of rod or not.

The service bulletin shows what they did to drag link and why.

They also explain which end of rod goes toward the steering gear.

Last edited by Benson; 01-10-2019 at 05:41 PM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote