Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-01-2018, 03:55 PM   #1
kilburnmeister

Default 1928 electric wiper

The early A apparently used a wire rod to holdd the wiper blade. how does that wire attach to the motor?
kilburnmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 10:43 AM   #2
Gary Karr

Default Re: 1928 electric wiper

The wire wiper swing arm takes a 90 degree bend that fits through a hole through the end of the main shaft. There is a very small bracket that then goes over the shaft to hold the swing arm into place. It attaches to a tension spring that attaches to another small bracket that when moved down the arm, extends the spring, and applies more tension to the swing arm. AS you can see, it was not the best application, and therefore replaced by the more common spring steel swing arm. Here are a couple of pictures that should help explain how these go together.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2829.jpg (43.8 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2830.jpg (32.4 KB, 51 views)
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 05:08 PM   #3
kilburnmeister

Thank you Gary. I've seen photo's of this spring before. Sadly, the big houses that I tend to buy from don't seemto sell this (these). I bought an arm that is straight on the motor end. Apparently it's installed and then bent. So, it looks as tho' I'll need to find that spring thing and then install the wiper wire.
Perhaps you maay remember me. I'm the guy who repro'd the 8.5" and the 7.5" door strap and the script step plates.
Thanks again.

Richard
Old 10-02-2018, 08:56 PM   #4
dean from bozeman

Richard Kilburn, I presume!

I remember you as the man who housed Fred Gooding, Ron Rude, Gar Williams?(I'm sorry I'm not sure on the name) and myself during the Grand Rapids national meet. We looked at the early '28 chassis that I had transported from Minnesota to Michigan for Steve Siccalone and talked about each unique early feature. We also had discussions about many of the features of the early '28s that make them so unique. I learned so much during that week.

I am really happy to see you back and using the Fordbarn to ask questions. When are you going to finish that '28 Sport Coupe. The world wants to know!

Miss ya, mister!

Dean
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 12:39 PM   #5
kilburnmeister

Dean, you old Jasper. I don;t know what happened to my first message, it just disappeared. Stopped by Gilmore and saw your car, She;s beautiful. using Ford Barn as most of my early A friends have died. I don' know anything about Bill Sturm, he's just disappeared. Stuck on this wiper thingy. Can't find the spring tensioner thingy. you know where I might get one ? We did have a good time. You are the funniest man I know; laughed and laughed

Richard