Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-24-2018, 03:35 AM   #1
hepkat63

Default powermaster generator question

Hi all,
Looking at putting the powermaster 6 volt positive ground generator on my '47 coupe. All looked good until I read the information on the installation guide on the website. It says to disconnect the original amp gaue from the car as the powermaster output will put out 60 ams and 'most' stock gauges only can accept 30 amps
Has anyone ever installed one of these please? If so, can the original gauge still be used? I really don't want to have to swap out gauges if I don't have too.
hepkat63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 04:21 AM   #2
koates

Default Re: powermaster generator question

Don't forget that 95% of the time your alternator will not be charging its maximum of 60 amps. The inbuilt electronic voltage regulator will control the output in amps which most of the time will be about 10 amps or less. If the headlights are on then output might be around 25 amps. When first starting the car the alternator will want to replace the amps that the starter motor has used out of the battery so it will charge high for one minute or less. Just fit the powermaster and see how it goes. Your original ammeter will handle 30 amps plus some so it will be OK. Make sure the ammeter terminals are clean and tight. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 05:01 AM   #3
big job

The powermaster will not harm the amp meter . There is no physical wiring on all Ford
product meters. I call those inductive meters. What I did was leave the generator wiring there
use the big original armature wire connect to alternator output. Now remove this same
wire on the regulator and screw it on top of the batt terminal on regulator. Now nothing
has changed the regulator is now dead just used as a terminal board. If I ever have the
need to go back to a generator wires are there. Also this is important: At first it put out
less than my generator? There is a ground stud on the alternator= I figure there is
plenty of ground cause its bolted to the intake. I was wrong and the instructions don't
tell you other than to add a ground wire to that stud. So I put a fat ground wire to
the carburetor base nut / alt. ground stud and bingo!!! So I guess this ground stud is
isolated from its housing. And yes as said the gauge will go full amps but a couple
seconds it will trickle back to -0- and with everything on lights heat whatever it will
pretty much stay a -0- or a tinch more so it is keeping up with its load. again keep in
mind you can't smoke up this type amp meter....it kind of works like a compass...
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 05:59 AM   #4
moonraker

I have had Powermaster 6V on my 39 Deluxe with original amp guage for 3 years. I've put about 2000 miles on it - never had a problem. Can't say that I watched amp guage constantly, but it never wondered to far from normal.
moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 11:35 AM   #5
51 MERC-CT

Original '47 ammeter is an induction loop meter, There are no wire connections, just a wire passing thru a loop.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:54 AM   #6
flatheadmurre

Itīs not the ammeter that could be an critical issue...itīs that the internal wiring from generator to battery was designed for less current.
My thinking is that powermaster people canīt say run it over the original wiring as intended for warranty/lawsuite reasons....
If your battery or loads shorts out the alternator have enough current to fry the wiring and start a potential fire....
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 01:20 PM   #7
Jack E/NJ

flatheadmurre>>>If your battery or loads shorts out the alternator have enough current to fry the wiring and start a potential fire.... >>>

Absolutely. And if connections from alternator to the battery are too long, you'll need a fairly fat wire to keep it cool enough under the dash and the hot engine compartment. You of course use the WireBarn calculator for proper FordBarn wire sizes. 8^) Jack E/NJ

https://www.wirebarn.com/Wire-Calculator-_ep_41.html
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 02:56 AM   #8
hepkat63

thanks guys - really appreciate all the help!
hepkat63 is offline   Reply With Quote