Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-10-2018, 07:28 PM   #1
30-9

Default Hershey

Anyone there now? I’m debating going Friday and Saturday. Would like to know if it’s worth the drive.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:11 PM   #2
jim1932

Default Re: Hershey

What are you after? It’s packed and after a rain day Thursday. Friday will be a bargain day
Old 10-11-2018, 04:41 AM   #3
JM 35 Sedan

Many venders pack up on friday and leave by mid afternoon. Saturday is show day and most venors will be gone, but the show would be worth seeing IMO.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:28 AM   #4
cederholm

I've never been but I'm thinking about going in the spring to look for parts. Is Friday always the vendor day?

~ Carl
cederholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:34 AM   #5
Habusailor

Cedarholm what are the dates next spring?

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
Habusailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:49 AM   #6
cederholm

Not exactly sure, but I though I read that it was just after my birthday which is April 10.
cederholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:48 AM   #7
TomT/Williamsburg

No AACA at Hershey in the spring - only the fall show .....
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:39 PM   #8
russcc

Both Tuesday and Wednesday were partly cloudy, some sun, very warm for October, 80 to 84 degrees. Tues & Wed. were moderately busy. Saw a young fella carting of a complete '37-40 Columbia w/controls that the vendor earlier told me he wanted $4,500. for. Dennis Carpenter had very large quantity of NOS Parts. I saw Mike Driskell talking with Bob Jones from DC, likely about purchasing the remains of DC's NOS parts as he did last year. Mike was also talking with Craig Messenger who said this was his last year selling EV8 parts, so Mike will likely be getting those also.
To me, the most interesting car in the car corral was a late 30's Packard Navy limo that came back to the USA after the 2nd world war. This was Admiral "Bull" Halsey's staff car.
We bailed out, before you needed to bail on Thursday morning prior to the monsoons arriving. Friday was supposed to be 58 degrees, sunny, with a strong N/W wind. Should be a great day tomorrow for buyers, as the end is sight.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:08 PM   #9
mhsprecher

I am going tomorrow and Saturday. Us working stiffs have it rough. Years ago, there was a flea market on Saturday, but everything was smaller then. I always enjoy the car show on Saturday and have shown a car a couple of times.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:15 AM   #10
Cecil/WV

I was there yesterday and am getting ready to leave home to go again today. I will be spending some of my time at the Early Ford V8 Foundation spot right beside Dennis Carpenter. Come by and take a look at all the parts for sale and perhaps buy a chance on a new F-150 Ford truck Also, a very nice modified '37 Ford fordor for sale, best offer.
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 06:43 AM   #11
richard crow

the prices were insane a lot of empty spaces we can thank barett jackson for the insane prices on the cars example 49 merk stock 64,000 32 ford coupe 88,000 there were some good deals far & few in the swap meet this is becoming a high roller hobby
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:20 PM   #12
adileo

I was there today. No rain but windy and cold. Dressed properly I was comfortable.

I was pleased to see many more vendors this year, than previous 3.

I agree prices were high, especially the cars. I saw a 1939 coupe (said all original) looked like original paint with proper patina, for $55k. Owning a 39 I hope he gets it. There were a lot of other really nice high quality cars.

Vendor tables had parts marked high but seemed open to negotiations.

So long story short, it was worth the 5 hour round trip.

Andy
1952 F1
adileo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 02:58 PM   #13
my2nd40

I thought Hershey was great this year. I made quite a few purchases at prices that I thought was more than reasonable. Early V8 parts were plentiful and I took full advantage of it for the projects I have waiting at home.
I bought stuff every day including Thursday during the rain. Friday was just a beautiful day after the morning wind subsided some and the deals were really flying. Great people, and fun times. I think this hobby is in fine shape.
my2nd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 03:14 PM   #14
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck

I set up Tuesday and sold a good bit. Wed. was good also selling a fair amount. Then Wednesday rain so I did not set up to sell. Friday I packed up and road around with the wife on her scooter. I did see Cecil and his wife. Did not buy much did buy a locking Hubcap in the original box for the 32. It did have the key.Did also get a DL carb from Pat. In all had a very good time. I always look forward going to Hershey. Started going back in 1962.
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 04:54 PM   #15
JM 35 Sedan

Some folks see Hershey as a glass half full, and others see it as a glass half empty. Personally, I think it's the greatest place in the world to be for 3 or 4 days for all kinds of reasons. I plan to attend every year possible, as long as possible, until I check out.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 05:17 PM   #16
sawzall

in this hobby.. the sky is always falling for someone..
wednesday was great. after the sky fell on thursday (RAIN!!!) I went searching for some goodies and bought some parts at what I felt was a great price..

as usual prices were as usual all over the place.. I scored a nice 40 ford heater for 5 bucks.. and a NUMBER of other items I wanted..(and a few things I didnt really need)

only 365 days till hershey 2019!!
Old 10-15-2018, 08:43 PM   #17
SUHRsc

There are always going to be people wanting ridiculous prices...I even take a few items that I really don't intend to sell unless I get top dollar... but they are rare and valuable... I bought WAY more then I should have this year but feel like I under paid for every single thing. Last year I paid up pretty well for a part that I needed... it was a seemingly unobtainable part for a sedan delivery... was I happy to pay so much, no, of course not... but was I happy to find it... you bet!! Hershey is, as JM35 says... the greatest place on earth, one week a year! I'm so glad to have been attending my entire life!
77-6050B, 81AS - 81SB - 99AS - 99SB 19AS cylinder heads
SUHRsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:38 AM   #18
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
Some folks see Hershey as a glass half full, and others see it as a glass half empty. Personally, I think it's the greatest place in the world to be for 3 or 4 days for all kinds of reasons. I plan to attend every year possible, as long as possible, until I check out.
Agreed. Even with the rain, it was a great event. Had a great time and was able to see some of my Hershey friends. Looking forward to next year.
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:14 PM   #19
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Redneck View Post
I set up Tuesday and sold a good bit. Wed. was good also selling a fair amount. Then Wednesday rain so I did not set up to sell. Friday I packed up and road around with the wife on her scooter. I did see Cecil and his wife. Did not buy much did buy a locking Hubcap in the original box for the 32. It did have the key.Did also get a DL carb from Pat. In all had a very good time. I always look forward going to Hershey. Started going back in 1962.
Let me know when you want to part with that '35 Pickup, so you don't have to take it to Hershey It's a beauty!
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:03 AM   #20
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck

Might trade it for a 32 coupe or sedan in same condition.
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:06 AM   #21
Kube

To the folks that claim "prices are insane / too high" I say this:

If an item sells, the price is correct. To blame anyone or any company for "insane" or "too high" prices is showing a lack of understanding of basic economics.
Prices may be too high for "you" but if the item sells, once again, it is priced correctly.

Supply and demand, the most basic economic rule, works perfectly each and every time for anything available within any market that is not (government) subsidized or otherwise price controlled.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:18 AM   #22
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post

If an item sells, the price is correct. To blame anyone or any company for "insane" or "too high" prices is showing a lack of understanding of basic economics.
Prices may be too high for "you" but if the item sells, once again, it is priced correctly.

Supply and demand, the most basic economic rule, works perfectly each and every time for anything available within any market that is not (government) subsidized or otherwise price controlled.

I think Kube just about has this 'economics/fair trade' thing figured-out. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:45 AM   #23
Pete/Ct.

I thought that Hershey was as great this year as it always is. Of course I bought more than I sold but glad to find what I wanted. Good to see Hershey friends that I have met over the years. Sweetest place on earth. Pete/Ct.
Pete/Ct. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 05:28 PM   #24
BoxCar Tom

We were open Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. A lot of wind and wet sunshine on Thursday. Overall after expenses made $50.00 Still had a good time and look forward to next year.
BoxCar Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:56 PM   #25
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Redneck View Post
Might trade it for a 32 coupe or sedan in same condition.
Let me see if I can steal one locally then I'll call you up!! Three window or five window Coupe!!
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:40 AM   #26
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post

Agree 100%. Plus, most prices are asking prices. When you are standing there with cash in your hand, the price is generally negotiable.

I love doing a Friday blowout sale. If someone has any interest in parts that I still have on Friday, I blow them out. We went home with most of our parts sold. Wound up giving our neighbor a complete set of '50 Merc. bumpers for free.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:27 AM   #27
Cecil/WV

Spent 2 days, Thurs & Fri, mostly helping out at the Early Ford V8 Foundation site! Saw many friends, including Redneck and JM, and the foundation sold over $4000.00 in parts and merchandise, plus many raffle tickets on the new Ford truck. Drawing is on Nov. 1st. Oh, I also bought a couple of things I didn't need.
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 04:04 AM   #28
danliveshere

I hope to get there next year if the finances allow it. How easy is it to get accommodation in Hershey for the week?
danliveshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 06:56 AM   #29
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by danliveshere View Post
I hope to get there next year if the finances allow it. How easy is it to get accommodation in Hershey for the week?
Not bad at all. For the past four years, I’ve called my hotel two weeks or so before the and was able to get a room. It’s 15 minutes away from the show but it includes breakfast so it works
Old 10-20-2018, 09:14 AM   #30
32phil

We were there Tuesday thru Friday night. We left Friday evening to go pick up a car (a 32 Phaeton, they don't call me 32 Phil for nothing !) my son bought in North Central Penn.
We were selling parts (mostly early Chevy stuff) at the spots for the four days except the rainy day. I bought a bunch of stuff, prices were fair to high. Almost everything was negotiable. I felt it was very busy and not a lot of empty spots. Already made our reservations for next year. We'll be selling early Ford and Chevy treasures and buying junk too!
Old 10-20-2018, 02:35 PM   #31
itsa52

Man I wish it was closer,, But it is on my list
itsa52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 05:46 PM   #32
rgtharley

John, I completely agree, I camped at the local RV camping this year, and had a great time. Sorry I didn't see you there. Still looking for a few things for my 35 Convertible Sedan.

Bob Tyson
rgtharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 01:25 PM   #33
mhsprecher

My buddy was selling an early Model A two Venturi Zenith carb. He was asking $200. A guy wanted it for less. My buddy told him to go to another space and see what they were asking? $400. He came back and wanted to buy my buddy’s carb. He wouldn’t sell it to him. LOL.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote