Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-16-2018, 07:16 AM   #61
corvette8n

Default Re: Omg not sears

Around the mid-sixties my aunt rode a 106cc Sears motorcycle from Vermont to Alaska and back, a testament to her and the bike.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:49 AM   #62
Robert/Texas

Back around 1954, when I threw a rod through the block in my '28 roadster (not the one I have now), I went to Sears on South Main in Houston for a new short block. They cost $35 then but they were selling them out for $5 and had 3 left. I bought 1 and they gave me for free, a new carb and distributor. Three of us pulled the motor, replaced the parts on the new block and reinstalled it in less than a day outside, using a 2x4 in a friends yard.
Robert/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:44 PM   #63
Bob NH

Off Sears topic a bit but J.C. Whitney and Warshawski were selling engines and supplies out of opposite ends of the same warehouse I believe some years back. A friend of mine ordered a replacement cylinder head and got shipped a rebuilt short block model "A"engine . He never received a bill or was asked to return it. Good thing because it went into the sport coupe rather quickly ! Bad boys huh ?
Bob NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:06 PM   #64
Carl

...I remember when Sears was the place(in some towns the only place) to go for car batteries, tires, mufflers and quality American made tools. Also house paint. Sears is a victim of poor management and changing times. There's too much competition now and Sears waited too long to change their sales tactics to keep up.
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:02 AM   #65
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Sears is a strange case, they were the original Amazon! And now they can't figure out how to compete, strange.
good point
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:02 AM   #66
tubman

In 1967, I needed a manual transmission for my '50 Buick Special. The local boneyards didn't have one, and my mother suggested I look in the Sears Catalog. There it was. I took a chance and called the number listed in the catalog. I was told there was one in stock in town. I figured I would have to drive into Minneapolis to the main store, but when I asked where it was, I was told it was at the Knollwood store in Hopkins, Minnesota. At that time, I lived in Minnetonka, Minnesota which is the next suburb over. I had the transmission at home an hour later. It was $59.95 as I remember.

That's what I miss about Sears.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:23 AM   #67
markdtn

In 1985 I bought a '74 F250 (390 with granny 4-sp) at auction. I was 17. Went riding with a "friend" of mine. He showed me how to do exhaust explosions. Push in clutch, turn off ignition, pump the gas, turn on ignition, let out on clutch. You get a nice boom. After a few times I pumped the gas a little too much and blew up the muffler. My dad made me go to Sears Auto center and have factory single exhaust and a muffler put back. He would not even consider dual exhaust. I did no more exhaust explosions after that. I also bought my dwell meter in that store-and a bunch of DieHard batteries. I can remember seeing that store be built in the 70s when the Mall was built. About 3 years ago they tore the auto center down to bare earth. Last year a restaurant went up on the site. The Sears in the mall is now something else. Fun memories. Sad though.
markdtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:38 AM   #68
FrankWest

In the 70's the sears tower in Chicago was the tallest building in the world. That was sold off long ago to another company.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willis_Tower

A lot has to be said about the Ford Motor Company they are still around and going strong.
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote