Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-12-2018, 12:06 PM   #41
Darrell S

Default Re: Omg not sears

If you search "who makes Craftsman tools" and same for Kenmore there is lots of information.
Darrell S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:18 PM   #42
amodel25

I worked in the Sears Auto Center a couple of years when I was in college in the 60's. Part Time Tire and Battery Technician, I was making $1.95/hour and working 24 hours a week. Oldest of four kids, I got very little money from home and I lived on this. 12 volt Diehard Batteries were $29.95.
amodel25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 01:01 PM   #43
petehoovie

Whirlpool makes Kenmore appliances to Sears specs....

https://www.reviewed.com/home-outdoo...ade-appliances

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 01:48 PM   #44
Chuck Sea/Tac

In south Seattle, is the original Seattle sears store. Now Starbucks center and corporate offices. On the second floor is the cafeteria . Along the wall, at least 20’ probably more are vintage photographs from teens thru the sixties? They had railroad boxcar sales. Horse drawn wagons, and awesome automobiles thru the years.
Starbucks is just finishing up a remodel, hopefully the pictures remain. It’s a great look at the history of past Seattle.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 02:45 PM   #45
Flathead Fever

There is a giant size display at Sears of a guy working with his Craftsman tools on a black 1932 Roadster with a flathead loaded with speed goodies. This display is big! Its in the tool department by the garage cabinets. It would look really nifty hanging on a garage wall if you had the room for it. I have been eye balling that thing for year’s trying to figure out how to get it out of there? I was in there the other day and its was gone. I’m pretty sure it went in the trash.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 11:35 PM   #46
leon bee

Kansas City used to have what seemed like the mother of all Sears stores. Great big old building in the old part of town. Squeeky wood floors, creaking wood steps. Every Craftsman tool Sears carried was laid out in there, always seemed like half of em were on sale. Early 80s I lived around there and I still got all the tools. Now I haven't bought anything for a long time that says Craftsman. Except for a 3 drawer tool box which is a POS I wish I hadn't
leon bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 12:10 AM   #47
Lanny

How did Sears start out as a company?

In 1886 Richard W. Sears founded the R.W. Sears Watch Company in Minneapolis, Minnesota, to sell watches by mail order. He relocated his business to Chicago in 1887, hired Alvah C. Roebuck to repair watches, and established a mail-order business for watches and jewelry.

He expanded the business into the Sears-Roebuck Department store in Chicago
in 1925, and after a few years, and it grew into nationwide conglomerate.
Sadly, All good things come to an end.

Old 10-14-2018, 09:59 AM   #48
5851a

Call me old but I knew the end of the catalog would be the death of them. I sure miss being able to send in order for jeans, shoes etc.. Having them show up like Amazon, and fit, not so much like Amazon. Also have Kenmore washer and dryer. When that dies I'll go looking for a mid 70's Maytag.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:35 AM   #49
hook00pad

Didn't Sears once sell rebuilt engines? Maybe Jasper? I think my dad bought a rebuilt Jasper flathead for his 51 Ford F1 in the mid-50's.

Hook
hook00pad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 11:10 AM   #50
marko39

Quote:
Originally Posted by hook00pad View Post
Didn't Sears once sell rebuilt engines? Maybe Jasper? I think my dad bought a rebuilt Jasper flathead for his 51 Ford F1 in the mid-50's.

Hook
Sears did sell rebuilt engins as my buddy bought a rebuilt long block for his 55 olds in the mid 60s. price was around 300.00 and they had a special "free installation" offer. engine ran great and it was equipt with dual quads which sears had to reinstall on new block. Mark
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 12:42 PM   #51
Darrell S

Quote:
Originally Posted by hook00pad View Post

Hook
My 48 has a Sears rebuilt in it now. Done in the 70's, runs well.
Darrell S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 02:50 PM   #52
Bob NH

Sad to read about the demise of a great company. I just retired a Kenmore washer and dryer that were 29 years old and still running fine,(couple small repair items over the years) Kind of wanted to replace with new same units but after researching Consumer report, kenmore is built by whirlpool so bought those instead. Bet I will not or family will not see 29 years from the new ones ! I have an automotive section from a 1941 early Sears showing Ford V8 engines completely assembled for the astounding figure of $51.95 and your old block. Model "A" complete $49.95 exchange.Thinking I may order up a couple of um ? Better off going to swap meets now for Craftsman tools if you want american made. If you walk through a Sears tool dept. and randomly look, most are now coming from China or elsewhere so why bother when you get the same stuff anyplace ?
Bob NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 02:53 PM   #53
Bob NH

OOPS ! Correction, this is a Wards catalog not a Sears I am looking at.
Bob NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 04:47 PM   #54
Fortunateson

Yeah, bewildering how the original mail order company could adapt to the internet world. I'm sure it would not have taken much. Up here in Canada we had two iconic department stores go under, Eatons and Woodwards in BC and Alberta. Big cataloque operations but never embraced the internet. That along with owners/management greed killed them off. I still have a Craftsman ratchet I want replaced. Rona home improvement stores now carry Craftsman but they aren't sure about the warranty. I'll keep it in my car in case I cross the line into WA and see if a dealer down there will "do the honourable thing".
Fortunateson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:26 PM   #55
Greg58

People this hits home for me, I worked at the distribution center here for 34 1/2 years. I have witnessed first hand the downfall of what was a great place to work, when I started it was Kmart. Our center employed 1100 at one time when Kmart was the number one retailer(that's correct, look it up). I retired in early 2015 when they announced that our center was closing, it all worked out for me but a lot of people are still searching for jobs that pay half what they once made.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:39 PM   #56
Jack E/NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by petehoovie View Post
Whirlpool makes Kenmore appliances to Sears specs....
Hmmmm? And here I always thought Whirlpool made Kenmore appliances to Whirlpool specs. 8^) Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:15 PM   #57
TJ

Sears even sold cars. They sold the Allstate car which was essentially a rebranded Henry J. I also think they sold they Allstate gas powered scooter.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:51 PM   #58
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Jim View Post
Craftsman tools and tool boxes are now sold at Lowes, and I also think that Ace Hardware stores are also selling them. I do not know what their replacement policy is though. we may be out of luck on the lifetime replacement.
called craftsman and they said that Lowes only sells boxed sets so they don't replace...Craftsman said Ace Hardware will replace my broken cheesy craftsman ratchet..Haven't brought it there yet because the ace in my neighborhood closed down. IN the future, I guess harbor freight is all we go.
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:06 PM   #59
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack E/NJ View Post
Hmmmm? And here I always thought Whirlpool made Kenmore appliances to Whirlpool specs. 8^) Jack E/NJ
Not how it works. The company with the name on it establishes the specifications. Spent a lot of my life as a spec writer.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 11:30 PM   #60
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob NH View Post
Sad to read about the demise of a great company. I just retired a Kenmore washer and dryer that were 29 years old and still running fine,(couple small repair items over the years) Kind of wanted to replace with new same units but after researching Consumer report, kenmore is built by whirlpool so bought those instead. Bet I will not or family will not see 29 years from the new ones ! I have an automotive section from a 1941 early Sears showing Ford V8 engines completely assembled for the astounding figure of $51.95 and your old block. Model "A" complete $49.95 exchange.Thinking I may order up a couple of um ? Better off going to swap meets now for Craftsman tools if you want american made. If you walk through a Sears tool dept. and randomly look, most are now coming from China or elsewhere so why bother when you get the same stuff anyplace ?
That $51.95 rebuilt was probably bought by a guy making $5.00 a day. With shipping and misc., say it took 12 days wages to buy the engine. Today a rebuilt 302 Ford can be had for $1400-1600. Still about 12 days wages!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote