Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-29-2017, 08:57 AM   #1
B0B

Question Gas valve won't shut off

Got a new under dash Gas shutoff valve for my 1929 Model A about one year ago . Now the last 2 times I shut it off it allowed gas to trickle into the carburetor . This makes for a gas smell in the garage which makes for an
un-happy wife . Are these new gas shutoff valves failing prematurely ? Anyone else having this problem .

B0B
B0B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:33 AM   #2
Big hammer

Default Re: Gas valve won't shut off

Rust from the gas tank will wear the vavle, a non stock screen will keep the rust from wearing the valve. You can take the vavle apart and lap the stem in the vavle body.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:57 AM   #3
2manycars

If the valve is damaged beyond repair, install a new one, and fit it with the little pencil shaped filter screen that the vendors sell. That will keep t he rust out of the valve.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:10 AM   #4
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Bob,

Problem No. 1:

A. Above Replies No. 1 & 2 are Right On; i.e., dirty 80+ year old hard iron rust and/or sand in tank exiting and marring a soft non-ferrous metal valve ..... best easy & quick solution to stop cause of problem: Install Gas Valve Shut-Off Screen, Part No. A-9194 at Bert's Model A.

B. Lapping may or may not work for extremely minor gas valve damage on damaged shut-off valves; however, for damage resulting in deeper soft metal cuts, a new valve will be needed. (One Model A parts technician reported years ago his lapping of 100 shut-off valves picked up at swap meets ...... 2 out of 100 were successful .... he humbly admitted he wasted 5 working days and gave up.)

Problem No 2:

A. Carburetor or gas line or gas line fittings leaking gas.

B. Could be leaks at carburetor float valve, carburetor gaskets, carburetor drain plug, etc., etc., all of which requires further investigation.

C. Many concentrate more on Problem No. 1, e.g., first fix shut-off valve; next, when stopping engine, close shut-off valve and allow Model A carburetor to run out of gas to avoid carburetor leaks.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:45 PM   #5
goodcar

I've had the same problem with late 31 indented firewall shut off valve--get about 2-3 years out of them, then just replace them. Good luck.
goodcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 03:10 PM   #6
Big hammer

Late 31's are a different animal ! I had one leaking thru and disassembled and lapped it with valve lapping compound, cleaned, greased and now working great !
Old 07-29-2017, 04:57 PM   #7
Ernie Vitucci

Good afternoon...Bratton's Antique Auto parts offers a quarter turn shutoff valve that comes ready to install and goes from the current valve to the fire wall and replaces the fuel line that is there now. I have used one for years. I shut off the fuel line, run the carburetor about one half empty and shut her down...Works great. Find it is on page 62 of the current catalogue. It is $61.05. You can call 1-800-255-1929 to order. Nice people. Good Luck. Ernie
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 05:28 PM   #8
SeaSlugs

Im surprised someone hasnt made a direct replacement 1/4 turn ball valve that fits the tank and fuel line and appears close to stock yet...
Old 07-30-2017, 12:44 AM   #9
B0B

Thanks guys . Some good suggestions and good information . I Already have the little screen that sticks up in the gas tank installed myself it has been in there about 10 years now. Had the Model A out today and when I put it away I did 2 things . First when I shut off the gas I pressed IN on the valve lever as I turned it . Second thing was to then run the engine until the gas was used up in the float bowl . I just went out to the garage and sniffed by the Carburetor and there was no gas smell. I am going to check Brattons too . B0B
B0B is offline   Reply With Quote