Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-02-2017, 02:18 PM   #21
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.
Default Re: Daily driving suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth_One View Post
I always use rain X glass cleaner on all my vehicles so I got that covered. I don't plan to do much to the lights because I want to keep the old appearance of the car safety or not just my decision. It will have full coverage insurance on it for whatever it is estimated to be worth.
Full coverage for estimated value, check this out because I doubt that statement! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 02:19 PM   #22
P.S.

Smooth One-

First of all, congratulations to you for choosing to use your Model A as a 'car' instead of a 'toy'. You will find the Model A is more than capable of being a reliable daily driver.

I used my 31 as a daily driver for quite a while a few years ago and had no breakdowns. My commute is 40 miles each way.

Here are the things I personally suggest (some will almost certainly disagree):

* Switch from stock generator to an alternator. Having bright lights at night, even at a stop, are very important! You can switch back to the generator easily and quickly if needed for show or whatever.
* Carry a small oiler so you can lube the distributor frequently.
* Install one of the oil filter kits. It's a world of difference.
* Install seatbelts. My adopt-a-dad never installed in his Model A, saying "If we get in a wreck, I want to be the first one out". However, wife and I were nearly in a wreck when some douche ran a stop sign and I had to swerve like a stunt driver to avoid the wreck. The lap belt kept me in my seat so that I had full control of the Model A the whole time. Kept wife in her seat so she didn't end up falling into me and causing loss of control. Because of the lap belts, there was no collision and no damage or injury. Just some scared douche who dropped his cellphone.
* Make sure your windshield wiper works. Rain-X is nice, but not a complete solution. Have a rebuilt vacuum wiper on the 31 and it works fine. No need to switch to some aftermarket thing.
* Passenger side tail light AND turn signals. Oh my gosh, I cannot tell you how important it is driving in today's traffic to have 2 tail lights and turn signals!!

The good news is, in its stock form, the Model A is a very reliable car. When you start modifying things, that is when it goes sideways.

Very best regards, and please be sure to keep us updated!
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 02:27 PM   #23
H. L. Chauvin

FWIW:

Because of most travels over 200 miles, I carry an extra completely rebuilt and timed A distributor in my rear trunk, just in case there is a problem with my completely rebuilt and installed B distributor; hence, because of this interchangeable set up, I have no original A cable clamp provided for my original A pop-out switch's cable.

Also, I custom designed and made a threaded PVC pipe receptor with PVC end plug, (painted black), clamped to a piece of neatly cut engine green sheet metal to receive the threaded cylindrical end of the original A pop-out switch.

This securely clamped PVC pipe connector has an interior brass threaded contact stud penetrating the PVC plug, with an electrical switch wire extending from this stud nut electrical connection to the original metal distributor tab located on the rear of this original B distributor.

I can change from an all original B distributor to an all original A distributor in about 5 minutes, that is, without the original A cable's clamp secured and mounted on the head stud.

Also carry an original Zenith spare A carburetor to instantly change out with my installed Zenith B carburetor.

Can get "close" to original in a few minutes, except for my (2) blade "aluminum" fan, Police Head, lightened flywheel, and counterbalanced crank, look alike 6 V voltage regulator, whitewalls, etc., etc.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 03:16 PM   #24
modelAtony

You really need to purchase the LED tail lights and have a turn signal kit added to your car.I was using 30 cp bulbs in one of my cars for tail lights, about 3 years ago bought the UNITED PACIFIC brand from Berts in Denver, CO and that is the best money I ever spent. I have the logo turn signal kit on 1 car since 2001 they are real simple to mount and they are LED THEY ARE GREAT AT NIGHT BUT YOU DON'T NOTICE THEM IN DAYLIGHT. tHIS CAR ALSO HAS THE UNITED PACIFIC TAIL LIGHTS NOW. Have fun modelAtony tony white Lafayette, LA Enjoy your car, I was avg 1500 miles per moth before I retired.
modelAtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 03:32 PM   #25
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
Does your auto insurance policy allow the use of your Model A as a daily use vehicle? If you do use your Model A as daily transportation, I suggest the following attributes are must haves:
> Spare set of keys;
> Turn signals;
> LED tail lights;
> Halogen headlights;
> Alternator & 30-amp ammeter;
> Battery cutoff switch;
> Serviceable spare tire;
> Excellent service brakes;
> Outside mirror on each side of the car;
> Set of modern tools aboard including a safe jack & wheel chock;
> Spare ignition points, condenser, coil and rotor;
> Spare fan belt;
> RainX;
> Gallon of coolant;
> Duct tape;
> Bottle of coolant stop leak such as Barr's;
> Roll of paper towels;
> Proof of insurance & state vehicle registration.
Wow! That's more than the Okies carried on their journey to California!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 03:51 PM   #26
Chippy Minton

I'd worry more about the weekends than the commute. Has anybody mentioned a mobile phone and a credit card?
Chippy Minton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 03:52 PM   #27
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
No one mentioned an extra box of depends... i think Vince will agree
Lol
Depends are a medical necessity and not a joke. To make a joke out of this is an embarrassment to many. Hopefully the monitors will remove the previous post as it is in very poor taste. Wayne
Old 01-02-2017, 04:21 PM   #28
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever4 View Post
I think you should seek professional help for your obsession with Depends!
You and I and many others. To joke about someone's medical condition is pathetic Wayne
Old 01-02-2017, 04:25 PM   #29
Karl

I've driven my model A to work probably an average of 2 days per week the last 10 years. On the days I don't drive that I often take my 1913 Model T or the 1910 Hupmobile or in the last year the 1934 Ford V8. In fact I use my work car so infrequently my accountant has advised my business to sell the car out of my business as there is no tax advantage in the business owning it.

My cars are all stock and well serviced. The only tools I carry is the original tool kit . I carry no spares at all (but have them at home) . My commute is about 4 miles as well. If I took only half of what some people here consider essential I would have to fit a tow bar and buy a trailer !!

In the ten years I have had one flat battery (left the light switch on) and I crank started it and one ammeter failure (bypassed it by attaching its wires to one terminal) . In the Hupmobile I sheared off the magneto drive and all the spares in the world would not have got me going that day ! I rang my wife and she towed me home I hopped in the Model A and drove to work and was still on time.

Model A's and in fact all early fords are well built and reliable if serviced and looked after. With a four mile daily commute what spares would they have carried in 1930 ? -Your car should be at least as good as it was in 1930 and probably more reliable with modern oils and gas.

Stop worrying drive it and enjoy!
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 04:33 PM   #30
Smooth_One

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelAtony View Post
You really need to purchase the LED tail lights and have a turn signal kit added to your car.I was using 30 cp bulbs in one of my cars for tail lights, about 3 years ago bought the UNITED PACIFIC brand from Berts in Denver, CO and that is the best money I ever spent. I have the logo turn signal kit on 1 car since 2001 they are real simple to mount and they are LED THEY ARE GREAT AT NIGHT BUT YOU DON'T NOTICE THEM IN DAYLIGHT. tHIS CAR ALSO HAS THE UNITED PACIFIC TAIL LIGHTS NOW. Have fun modelAtony tony white Lafayette, LA Enjoy your car, I was avg 1500 miles per moth before I retired.
Do they make a 6 V LED kit? I guess I have never really looked.
Smooth_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 05:08 PM   #31
d.

Default Re: cable/ bracket situation

Smooth,
don't worry about the cable/ bracket thing, just unbolt the bracket and lay it on the head or tape it to the cable...no need to disassemble anything.
d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 05:43 PM   #32
Synchro909

[QUOTE=Mitch//pa;1407983]Remember that the word MODERN does not always mean its better....

I couldn't agree more, in fact I've been saying that for years - usually to confused looking modern motorists. Then I ask: "If new were better, why are there so many recalls these days?"
Old 01-02-2017, 07:26 PM   #33
Smooth_One

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
Smooth One-

First of all, congratulations to you for choosing to use your Model A as a 'car' instead of a 'toy'. You will find the Model A is more than capable of being a reliable daily driver.

I used my 31 as a daily driver for quite a while a few years ago and had no breakdowns. My commute is 40 miles each way.

Here are the things I personally suggest (some will almost certainly disagree):

* Switch from stock generator to an alternator. Having bright lights at night, even at a stop, are very important! You can switch back to the generator easily and quickly if needed for show or whatever.
* Carry a small oiler so you can lube the distributor frequently.
* Install one of the oil filter kits. It's a world of difference.
* Install seatbelts. My adopt-a-dad never installed in his Model A, saying "If we get in a wreck, I want to be the first one out". However, wife and I were nearly in a wreck when some douche ran a stop sign and I had to swerve like a stunt driver to avoid the wreck. The lap belt kept me in my seat so that I had full control of the Model A the whole time. Kept wife in her seat so she didn't end up falling into me and causing loss of control. Because of the lap belts, there was no collision and no damage or injury. Just some scared douche who dropped his cellphone.
* Make sure your windshield wiper works. Rain-X is nice, but not a complete solution. Have a rebuilt vacuum wiper on the 31 and it works fine. No need to switch to some aftermarket thing.
* Passenger side tail light AND turn signals. Oh my gosh, I cannot tell you how important it is driving in today's traffic to have 2 tail lights and turn signals!!

The good news is, in its stock form, the Model A is a very reliable car. When you start modifying things, that is when it goes sideways.

Very best regards, and please be sure to keep us updated!
Thank you very much for the info! I thought about belts in the car and installing a alternator also.
Smooth_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 07:42 PM   #34
P.S.

I only carried a small tool kit, a fan belt, a spare pre-timed distributor, and a spare carb (all under the back seat). Never needed any of it. Car performed for over 10,000 miles, flawlessly.

There are those who believe that if you don't carry the spare stuff, then you will need it but if you do, then you will never need it.

One 20 degree morning, the Tudor didn't want to start. I ran some 800 grit wet/dry sandpaper through the frosty points and she started right up!

Please keep us updated on your daily driving adventure! The Model A is VERY reliable when restored properly and not overly modified.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 07:58 PM   #35
iverson

I might have missed it but did anyone say fire extinguisher? anything other problems are minor
iverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:02 PM   #36
klawockvet

Wow, this thread kind of makes me laugh.
Chapter One:
I bought my first model A from a neighbor who drove it to work every day. It was a wired together POS but it kept running. I bought it for parts and used it to play Pan American Road Race in the hills of South Pasadena, CA. I tried hard to kill it and never did. I had to dismantle it and throw the parts away. Even the parts continued to have life.
Chapter Two
I bought a POS Model A on eBay, went through it and drove it around a while before putting in a rebuilt motor. There are times of the year I drive it every day. In 2015 I went with a horse group down the Pony Express Trail. Over 2000 miles mostly on dirt roads. Two days before we left I said to my wife "I think I'll load the Model A on a trailer and drive it around during the trip". By the time we got to St Joe and I had a few beers to think things over I decided it would be really cool to see if I could drive all the way to CA. All I needed was for someone to drive the truck and trailer. I made it into Nevada when the old coil gave out. I picked another off a rusted old junker in the desert and continued the trip.

Chapter Three
When I come back south after 6 plus months in Alaska I go to start my cars. The only one that starts every time, with no excuses is the Model A. These are the closest things to bullet proof you can own. The main spares you need are found in the fences along the way as long as you have a piece of matchbook to work on the points and a Leatherman to fix anything else.

PS Drove it to Alaska and back in 2012. I did take a spare distributer which I didn't need and had an alternator come apart in Canada. I fixed that with wire and a borrowed bolt.

If you don't drive the hell out of your Model A you are missing one of the great experiences of motoring life.
klawockvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:06 PM   #37
1crosscut

Since it is only 4 miles to work you will not be getting the engine up to full temperature. I would suggest at least twice a week go for longer drives to warm the engine thoroughly and/or change the oil a bit more often.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:05 PM   #38
ian Simpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by handlebar99 View Post
The guys only talking about a four mile trip! He doesn't need a trailer load of spares! (credit card, AAA membership, and walking shoes works for me.)

Ray Rice, prepared for most eventualities, in Rifton
X2 except for turn signals, LED rear lights (both sides) and a case of bottled water. (The Florida sun can get hot)
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:24 PM   #39
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930-fordor View Post
yep, my car is not a points car, so I did not install the cable clamp
Take the clamp and enlarge the hole so it is hex shaped and friction fits over the nut. Looks good at a glance.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:27 PM   #40
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

For four miles - AAA. If the car is good in mechanical respects to start with an maintained in accordance with the instruction manual, you will have many days without a problem.

I don't know about Sarasota, but here in the Ft. Lauderdale area signals are worthless at best and dangerous at worst.