Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-26-2012, 08:24 PM   #1
joltesvig

Default L-shaped throttle linkage rod

I see the photo of an L-shaped throttle link rod in one of the shop manuals I have. It is captioned as an "original throttle linkage" but the photo is completely out of place in the shop manual, being in the steering section. I want to know if any of you know where I can get one of these. The straight linkage rod I bought does not fit. The one which was on the 31 coupe when I bought it fell off and was lost on the road because of an interference with the other linkage, it wouldn't stay put. I put a couple of big bends in a longer throttle rod to clear the interference and and it works ok but I'm not happy with it. Does anyone know about an original rod which was L-shaped?...it looks like it might be a thin cast rod but I can't tell from the photo.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:37 PM   #2
al's28/33

Default Re: L-shaped throttle linkage rod

The judging standards has a picture of all the linkages that were used throughout production. They are all interchangeable and should work on any car 28-31. Maybe your firewall is pushed out so the linkage arm rubs on it or it was all bent out of shape thru the years. These can be found on ebay or most any swap meet.
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:48 AM   #3
joltesvig

Thanks Al, I'll get a copy of the judging standards. I didn't think I needed a copy since I'm not picky...I just want to keep my 31 Coupe "of the era" basically...but it sounds like they are a handy reference for questions like this. I'll take your suggestion to see if I can dig up an L-shaped linkage on ebay. Best regards, John
Old 04-29-2012, 08:27 AM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

YES, both the JUDGING STANDARDS and the SERVICE BULLETINS have a lot of usefull information, even if you aren't going for points judging. I would recommend the full size edition of the SERVICE BULLETINS.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:27 PM   #5
Bill Goddard

Tom, What is the full sized edition? Is it the hardback yellow cover about 5"x8" and 1" thick? Bill G
Bill Goddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:21 PM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Goddard View Post
Tom, What is the full sized edition? Is it the hardback yellow cover about 5"x8" and 1" thick? Bill G
No, the yellow book is the small one. My full size is blue and I bought it at one of the national meets years ago. Either of the national clubs sells them, as well as most of the parts houses. Check with Bert's, Bratton's, Snyder's, etc.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:42 AM   #7
BrianBurkert

I think John is talking about the throttle control rod that goes between the steering column and the throttle assembly.

John, If the hookup is way off, you can loosen the steering column (one clamp clamping the steering column to the steering box, and another clamp near your lap in the cabin) and rotate the entire column until both the throttle and spark rods are properly aligned. You should be able to rotate to get full and free travel of both your spark and throttle hand levers.
BrianBurkert is offline   Reply With Quote