Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-29-2011, 10:09 PM   #21
40fordpu

Default Re: ~~DirtyDan's 1936 Ford Coupe Project - Build Pictures~~

Dan

Nice work. Can you tell us a little about the process and equipment you used to do the painting of the components/firewall. Thanks
40fordpu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:59 PM   #22
Joe AZ

Beautiful job Dan, your '36 really has "the look". I'm just starting the process of doing much the same to a '40 coupe.
Joe
Joe AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:11 AM   #23
coupe5w36

Beautiful coupe Dan. Well done!
coupe5w36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:54 AM   #24
Ray Parson

it only takes that one bump but thats what hot rods are all about F *** it just kick it. me i think id nock the tire size now a noch good 36 fenders are a bitch to find . but it do look goood rock on
Ray Parson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:27 AM   #25
31chevy

Very Very nice, Happy to see you use a flathead instead of you know what.
31chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:25 AM   #26
DirtyDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40fordpu View Post
Dan

Nice work. Can you tell us a little about the process and equipment you used to do the painting of the components/firewall. Thanks
This was my first attempt at painting anything other than with a spray can. I used a $5 garage sale Binks siphon feed gun. The paint was Dupont Nason line of single stage acrylic enamel. I removed the glove box door and took it to the paint shop for a photo color match on the blue. It took 2 tries, but I think they got it very close. The gold color was also Nason, from there fleet line of paints. I wanted to use HOK pacific gold, but I also wanted a single stage paint for the motor and it was not offered by HOK, and I'm also a cheap bastard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Parson View Post
it only takes that one bump but thats what hot rods are all about F *** it just kick it. me i think id nock the tire size now a noch good 36 fenders are a bitch to find . but it do look goood rock on
Its a risk I'm willing to take!
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:56 AM   #27
Gumpy

Very nice car with no exspense spared.....love the eddie meyer intake!
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:31 PM   #28
Six Pack to go

Very nice! Dont know how I missed this on the HAMB!
Old 06-09-2011, 08:21 AM   #29
Scott/Mn

'36 Ford coupe, done just right!
Scott/Mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:34 AM   #30
a banger

Nice job Dan, good looking 36. I'm curious about your rear end set up and what if any adapters were used to run the 40 wheels. I'm doing a 36 2-dr and wanting the same look.
Thanks'
a banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:51 AM   #31
DirtyDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by a banger View Post
Nice job Dan, good looking 36. I'm curious about your rear end set up and what if any adapters were used to run the 40 wheels. I'm doing a 36 2-dr and wanting the same look.
Thanks'
Thanks for the complements. There are no adapters needed to run the wheels on the early Bronco rear end. It is one of the reasons I chose it. It has a 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern and the wheels bolt right on. The width is right on for the car as well. I had to change the spring perches of course, but that was pretty simple.

I've done some work to the car since this was posted. I lowered the rear end a bit and added some 1940 Ford accessory inner trim rings to the wheels. I also moved the rear bumper in with some shorter bumper brackets, since it was way out there with the spare tire removed.

The car is currently at the upholstery shop getting a complete new interior. I'll post some updated pics when it gets back in a few weeks. I should have the grille changed by then as well. I picked up a original chrome grille to replace the poor fitting aftermarket unit.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:01 AM   #32
Gumpy

very nice car like the rear end and open driveline!!
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:30 AM   #33
Jim P

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
This was my first attempt at painting anything other than with a spray can. I used a $5 garage sale Binks siphon feed gun. The paint was Dupont Nason line of single stage acrylic enamel. I removed the glove box door and took it to the paint shop for a photo color match on the blue. It took 2 tries, but I think they got it very close. The gold color was also Nason, from there fleet line of paints. I wanted to use HOK pacific gold, but I also wanted a single stage paint for the motor and it was not offered by HOK, and I'm also a cheap bastard.
The blue is beautiful. Did they happen to come up with a paint code on it or just play with it till they got a match? I would love to know a code for that color.

Thanks
Jim P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:41 PM   #34
BobM

Dan, beautiful car! Am doing something similar, I have a '36 Tudor that will have an 8BA but a 4 speed top loader. Could you give me a little detail as to how you got the T-5 tail shaft to fit thru the center cross member? In the photos it looks like you retained the stock cross braces going to the center section. I thought these would be removed if you replace the entire cross member & replaced with something else. I see CE offers a kit to replace cross member but looks like would be very difficult to do with the body on or without cutting the floor. Were you able to do this without removing the body?
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:14 PM   #35
Django

I like the accessory caps Dan. And I was just going to ask you if you had done anything with the new grille when I saw the thread pop up.

I have new paint and new interior now. I'm not posting pics until after our show on Saturday though.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:40 PM   #36
DirtyDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Django View Post
I like the accessory caps Dan. And I was just going to ask you if you had done anything with the new grille when I saw the thread pop up.

I have new paint and new interior now. I'm not posting pics until after our show on Saturday though.
Tease!

I cant believe you painted it!

make sure you post some pics when the big reveal is over
Old 06-09-2011, 04:39 PM   #37
Django

I had to, yours looks too nice!

That was always the plan, but I'm sure lots of people will be shocked. It was just the fenders and decklid for now but I did get new chrome bumpers.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:02 AM   #38
DirtyDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
The blue is beautiful. Did they happen to come up with a paint code on it or just play with it till they got a match? I would love to know a code for that color.

Thanks
Jim, I took my glove box lid in and they did a photo match. It is close but not perfect. It is supposed to be Washington Blue, but it looks like it has a bit of purple in it.

Here is a scan of the label from the can:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
Dan, beautiful car! Am doing something similar, I have a '36 Tudor that will have an 8BA but a 4 speed top loader. Could you give me a little detail as to how you got the T-5 tail shaft to fit thru the center cross member? In the photos it looks like you retained the stock cross braces going to the center section. I thought these would be removed if you replace the entire cross member & replaced with something else. I see CE offers a kit to replace cross member but looks like would be very difficult to do with the body on or without cutting the floor. Were you able to do this without removing the body?
I removed the entire crossmember. I used a plasma cutter to remove it. I used a Pete & Jakes split kit, and modified the plate to extend further down and support the center of the crossmember. My dad's car is using the CE kit with the top support, but his body is removed. I would like to add some support to the top eventually, but you are right, its tough to do with the body on.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:16 PM   #39
IVT1

Boy you are dirty
Old 08-14-2011, 11:04 AM   #40
DirtyDan

A little update:

The 36 is finally at the point where I can say it is damn near done... they are never really done, but its close. I still have to clean up some wiring and have the original gauges rebuilt.

I drove it to the NSRA Nationals in Louisville KY, putting nearly 700 miles on the car in the process without issue. Ran around 70-75 mph the whole way. Who says you can't drive a flathead powered car.

The first big change was the interior. I really didn't plan on having the interior done until after driving it this summer, but my upholstery guy had an opening, and he is getting enough customers that you gotta grab it when it becomes available. I tried to find a color that would complement the wood grain and settled on a "Cinnamon" ultra leather material, and "Bronze" Square weave carpet. I am really happy w/ the results.

BEFORE:

AFTER: