Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-16-2018, 04:42 PM   #1
grumppyoldman

Default rebuilder foe 6 volt generator

Who do uou guy's recommend for a rebuild on my 6 volt positive ground generator, It's off my 41 ford coupe, and would like to keep it as is. Any advice as to who doe's a good job would be appreciated. Al
grumppyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:47 PM   #2
Ray Balukas

Default Re: rebuilder foe 6 volt generator

Google genernator. Takes your generator and makes it into an alternator. Ray
Ray Balukas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:15 PM   #3
JSeery
Member Emeritus

If you are willing to spend the money the alternator in your generator is a good way to go. As for rebuilding your generator you should be able to find a local electrical shop that can do the work. It would be best if the rebuilder has older generator experience.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:20 PM   #4
grumppyoldman

I had a local alt. & gen. shop rebuild it, it still don't work. Took it back today and watched them test it, it putout .03 volts. Should be around 7.5 to 8 volts. I'm looking at the powergen from Mac's have anyone used them? Looks like a gen with alt, guts. Al
Old 07-16-2018, 09:25 PM   #5
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Powergen might be ok, but there is better IMO. So what did the shop say to no output? Should not be that difficult to fix if the shop has any capability at all.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:15 AM   #6
Kerk

Try Henry in WIlmington, Ma. He has done 100'"s. The shipping would be my concern $$ ! kerk
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:39 PM   #7
grumppyoldman

I'm going with the PowerGen alt. I'll give it a try, it's supposed to be a direct swap-out. The repair shop said they could not rewind the armature and could not find one, I've checked several supplier's and they don't seem to exist for a 1941, Talked with a re-build shop in Arlington Tex. they said they were 2 weeks behind, and would have to send my gen. and regulator, and could be as much a 3-4 weeks after they inspected everything. I opted to change to the alt. and only a 2 week wait. Al
Old 07-17-2018, 01:29 PM   #8
1937hemi

If you haven't bought the alternator yet I have a 6V that I bought for my 41 and only ran it on a test stand for about 30 minutes. I'll make you a deal on it. I'm in Arlington, TX
1937hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:36 PM   #9
v8fordman

If you want to stay original, give Lee a call at Clint's Auto Parts in NC. They have been rebuilding flathead (and other makes) generators and starters for almost 50 years. He can also do a 6 volt postitive ground alternator for you if you would like. As stated in a previous post, the shipping may be an issue, but he can turn it around for you in a day or two. 336-787-4136.

Also, Clint is a long time V8'er (who happens to be in bad health) with many Dearborn winning cars, so they know what they are doing.
v8fordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:01 PM   #10
JM 35 Sedan

Another option for having your original generator rewound/rebuilt would be Michael Driskell, Third Generation Automotive in Tennessee.

Michael Driskell

Third Gen Automotive

2600 Old Nashville Hwy McMinnville, TN 37110

(844) 327-5988

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 07-17-2018 at 08:14 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:41 PM   #11
Daves55Sedan

It's getting harder and harder to find any shop qualified to do any kind of repairs properly anymore.

However there is this one old guy in our town that has been rebuilding generators, voltage regulators, starters for decades. I always go to him for these things and he does good quality work.

All the radiator shops are gone now because modern radiators are plastic. Many of these chain repair shops are highly un-trustworthy. They can't even change oil and that's their primary business. Pitiful. One of the chain shops couldn't even install a universal joint on a driveshaft. The guy forced it together but was unable to install the cap keeper clip due to one of the needles in the cap had fallen inside the cap. They charged me without telling me it wasn't right, so I got about a mile down the road and the U-joint fell off. PITIFUL. One of the chain places I had install new rear axle shaft seals. The idiot didn't remove the old seal on the passenger side and installed the new seal right over the old one. I didn't find out about it until years later when I was under the car and noticed that the whole brake backing plate was loose. It was impossible to get the bearing cap to seat flat onto the backing plate because the wheel bearing was sticking out due to the extra room that two seals took up. PITIFUL ! If you go to a shop, you gotta watch every move they make and make sure they put all the parts back in that belong there. If they won't allow you to watch, do it yourself.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 03:46 PM   #12
grumppyoldman

I know well what kind of repair jobs you get today, from the new generation, if it ain't fixable with a computer their like a babe in the woods. I've ordered the PowerGen unit, hope it's what I need. I'm going to try and fix the old gen. myself for a spare. Thanks all for the information. Al
Old 07-18-2018, 03:50 PM   #13
grumppyoldman

Thanks 1937hemi, but I have already placed the order for one from Mac's. Al
Old 07-18-2018, 06:07 PM   #14
rotorwrench

I have an old growler I use to check armatures so I do most of my own overhauls. Believe it or not, the 01A-10005-A armature has some interchangeability with the 8BA type generators to some degree but it depends on the pulley you have. Lester #11 may work or I think a new one is available from AMSCO part number FG-668. I haven't had to buy one yet since there are usually still some old cores out there. The bearings, brushes, & field coils are all available too but not necessarily from the same place.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote