Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 11:23 AM   #21
Dick Steinkamp

Default Re: Y Izzit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manycars View Post
That is why some of the knowledgeable people have left, or seldom post. Most of the new people questions have indeed been asked and answered many times, and could be easily found in the search option. People take the path of least resistance.
I would guess that many newbies have little or no experience with on-line forums and have no idea there is a search function and how to use it.

Merely telling a newbie to buy the book or do a search doesn't do much to encourage new Model A owners.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:37 AM   #22
Jim M

The first thing I bought after I found this site was the books. They are very helpful and have many illustrations which I find great. But I would love to see Les Andrews remove a rear brake assembly using his instructions. A couple of critical steps are missing. That being said the manuals are fine but the info here is outstanding! The first thing (well maybe second thing....lol) I do when I get up in the morning is read the forum. Check it 3 or 4 more times a day. Love all the info and patience of most all of the posters. Lets not kick a good horse in the ......!
Old 01-04-2017, 11:38 AM   #23
midgetracer

Amen Dick. I could not have said it better. Let's not be a bunch of snobby old codgers.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:42 AM   #24
mshmodela

As an owner a Model A for nearly 3 years I own all but the guidelines... Everyone thinks differently, and as very new owner, I have years more to learn... I do agree, folks should buy the books... Make's for great bathroom reading

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
Old 01-04-2017, 11:46 AM   #25
Pinesdune

I've got the books, and still ask dumb questions once in a while. And I thank all those for putting up with my stupid moments [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-04-2017, 11:54 AM   #26
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
I would guess that many newbies have little or no experience with on-line forums and have no idea there is a search function and how to use it.

Merely telling a newbie to buy the book or do a search doesn't do much to encourage new Model A owners.
Those who have tremendous expertise have not complained. wayne
Old 01-04-2017, 11:57 AM   #27
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
Why is it a guy will spend $10-$18k for a car and not spend $55 for the Restoration Guides, $35 for The Les Andrews red book, and $40 for a copy of the Ford Service Bulletins, which together would answer 92.7% of his questions and confusions about his new acquisition?

I'm not complaining, because there is also a lot of information to be gained here from knowledgeable and experienced A guys, and even after 55 years in the hobby I learn things, but not everything can be fully explained on this site. It just seems curious to me that people don't avail themselves of these resources.
Bottom line is if you don't like answering questions, step aside and let the experts who never complain step forward! Wayne
Old 01-04-2017, 12:07 PM   #28
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetracer View Post
Let's not be a bunch of snobby old codgers.
I'm OK with that as long as you STAY OFF MY LAWN!
Old 01-04-2017, 12:20 PM   #29
Tom Wesenberg

Having an accurate title line is very important to be able to find it when doing a "SEARCH".
Also, when posting a picture I have started saying "here's a picture of......" rather than just saying "here's the.......".
This way if you are looking for a picture of something, you can also enter "picture" in the "search", to help find the posts with pictures.

I think the Les Andrew's book is a good book. I know about the pan bolt torque being too high, as it should be inch pounds, rather than 20 foot pounds, but I'm not aware of a lot of other mistakes.

Even after being on the forum for a long time, I don't always have good luck using the search feature, but an accurate title line will help.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:24 PM   #30
Cool Hand Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
one thing that would make the forum easier and better would be if the posters would enter an accurate title line. Look at the subjects going right now. Some you can very clearly determine the subject, some you cannot. Example. "y izzit" how is it possible to get from that title any pertinent info about the post?
x 100 !!!
Old 01-04-2017, 12:42 PM   #31
patnmand

I'm new to Model As, not mechanically minded at all, and have the Les Andrews book. It's good but not enough. For example the disassembly of front brakes says things like "Remove the springs". Well, I've not done that before and they're not exactly easy. Les doesn't give you information like that. Also, things like wheel nut torque settings - nothing in Les Andrews but a quick forum search brought it up. The books are good but nothing beats real life experience and that's what you garner from forums like these.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:52 PM   #32
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnmand View Post
I'm new to Model As, not mechanically minded at all, and have the Les Andrews book. It's good but not enough. For example the disassembly of front brakes says things like "Remove the springs". Well, I've not done that before and they're not exactly easy. Les doesn't give you information like that. Also, things like wheel nut torque settings - nothing in Les Andrews but a quick forum search brought it up. The books are good but nothing beats real life experience and that's what you garner from forums like these.
Some brake springs can be very hard to install and remove.
I've learned it's best to wear a good pair of leather gloves, and on some I've had to clamp onto the spring with a Vise Grip then pry against the side of the jaw with a long screwdriver.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:44 PM   #33
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Lurker View Post
x 100 !!!
I agree that it was a dumb subject line! How can you be critical of others when you do something like that ? Wayne
Old 01-04-2017, 04:31 PM   #34
Jim M

Quite by accident I bought a pair of Craftsman needle nose plyers where the needle nose was at a 90 degree to the handles and the handles are about a foot long. I struggled with brake springs all afternoon one time trying everything. Somehow I tried those plyers and the spring went on first shot. The handles are long enough you can use both hands to grip and pull and with the tip at a 90 you are not hitting up against the other brake parts. Those plyers and now one of my first "go to" tools for anything that needs a good grip and pull!
Old 01-04-2017, 04:42 PM   #35
SeaSlugs

I usually just use a screwdriver flat or pointed - sometimes one works before the other - and needle nose to sometimes push it on if it didnt fully snap in. If youve ever done "modern" drum brakes they arent a whole lot different.

I like Les Andrews book - sometimes it gets repetitive showing you the same first few steps taking up a page or more for every procedure. Its a book that will get the job done if youve never done it before but theres usually a tried and true other way to go about things that comes from experience.

I do need to order the new judging standards as my old version is vague in some parts (especially AA stuff). Wheres the best place to get it from and how?
Old 01-04-2017, 10:13 PM   #36
Quigley1930

Bratton's brake shoe installation tool (2595) works well lso especially when it's a half mile away in your friends toolbox

Sewall
Old 01-04-2017, 10:22 PM   #37
ian Simpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by updraught View Post
How do I load them onto my phone?
Scan them into a PDF and e-mail them to yourself, or put them in the cloud, etc.

Also, I agree with post 26, above, too often the books tell you what to do not how to do it.

Last edited by ian Simpson; 01-04-2017 at 10:28 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:24 PM   #38
C26Pinelake
BANNED

2 five stars and 3 one stars ! Not good. Wayne
Old 01-05-2017, 02:15 PM   #39
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
And on the other hand if they never have to use them they won't know how to use them or their importance.

The best answer is to at least give them the answer and/or the link to at least one thread as a start in the their quest to find the answer using searh and let them know that additional information is available at their finger tips with no waiting for it.

We all know that the search feature is not the easiest to locate past information for a variety of reasons, some user some software. The most important thing is that they get the information.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:30 PM   #40
Dick Steinkamp

Great answer, Mike. Maybe there should be a "sticky" that shows how to get to and use the search function (including the Advanced Search) that could be referenced in the reply along with an answer or link to a thread with the answer.