Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-19-2015, 01:42 PM   #21
OLD...BILL

Default Re: V8 Times Late???

Got it yesterday on the north coast California, high up in the redwoods ....OLD....BILL
............no sign of big foot "to dry"............
OLD...BILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 03:31 PM   #22
JM 35 Sedan

Still patiently waiting for mine here on the right coast, in downtown Rising Sun, MD.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 05:28 PM   #23
larry/Texas

I live just outside of Houston a couple of miles and it has yet to get here.
larry/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 05:36 PM   #24
sunshine

I havent received mine yet in SUNSHINE MD.
sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 05:43 PM   #25
47COE

Got mine a few days ago. Steve Lemmons, the national president said last Monday that this issue would be a little late because it included the national roster.
47COE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:04 PM   #26
DavidG

I'm not sure I understand the purpose of this thread. Given that all of the magazines enter the USPS system more or less at the same time in Jefferson City, MO where they are printed, this ends up being something of a performance review of the Post Office. Given that, this seems well removed from the scope of fordbarn.com.

Would anyone be willing to pay double their Club dues or more to receive it within two to three days of when it is delivered to the Post Office in Jefferson City?
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:20 PM   #27
TonyM

Early in the month the V-8 Times editor did in fact report that the magazine would be late this month. And that info was posted on this thread too. The purpose? I guess many members, myself included, really look forward to getting this magazine. When I get mine, and I am guessing this is true of many members, I immediately begin reading it. Cover to cover.

As for the USPS--My father was a letter carrier for 35 years. The USPS does a great job considering how many pieces they move and how fast it gets there. No beef here about the USPS.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:37 PM   #28
DavidG

I agree wholeheartedly about the posties, but how does this thread speed up delivery of the magazine? (It sort of goes without saying that all of the members look forward to receiving and reading the magazine.)
Old 04-19-2015, 08:49 PM   #29
rockfla

It wasn't intended to speed anything up, I (personally) usually receive my V8 Times about the first week of the second month of the Bi-monthly issue, in this case the first week of April. I was merely wondering if MAYBE my issue had got lost in the mail as I did not see or hear any of the aforementioned news of this issue being late because of the roster. That's it!!! By the by mine arrived Friday the 17th, what a birthday present.
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:20 AM   #30
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
I'm not sure I understand the purpose of this thread. Given that all of the magazines enter the USPS system more or less at the same time in Jefferson City, MO where they are printed, this ends up being something of a performance review of the Post Office. Given that, this seems well removed from the scope of fordbarn.com.

Would anyone be willing to pay double their Club dues or more to receive it within two to three days of when it is delivered to the Post Office in Jefferson City?

I agree wholeheartedly about the posties, but how does this thread speed up delivery of the magazine? (It sort of goes without saying that all of the members look forward to receiving and reading the magazine.)
David, I see the same type of posts/threads on the Early Ford V-8 Club's website. In my opinion, someone who is in a position of authority in the EFV-8 Club (an Officer, Director, or Staff Member) should look into the mailing procedures/practices used for the V-8 Times. I don't believe this is a USPS problem, nor do I believe that having members pay additional mailing expenses would solve the problem.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 04-20-2015 at 08:27 AM.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:35 AM   #31
DavidG

John,

I agree that switching from media mail to Priority Mail is not a viable solution. It was a tongue-in-cheek comment.

The Club has had extensive experience with using media mail for its magazines, rosters, and book sales. It uses that USPS option in order to minimize the cost to the recipient of the publication. That experience has been all over the map in terms of USPS performance ranging from excellent to lost-forever shipments. (The shipments to Canada and other countries are exposed to the vagaries of two different postal systems and inbound customs clearance, which compound the delays as well as the added transit time.)

The magazines and rosters are all printed and sent (all delivered to USPS within a day or two) from the same place as I indicated earlier, which is pretty much consistent with the practices of other producers of magazines, be they hobby oriented or otherwise. While I have not been a print subscriber of Hemmings Motor News or Old Cars Weekly for many years, I clearly recall the same kind of out-loud wondering why the latest issue hadn't arrived in Laramie when it had arrived in Portland, etc., etc.

I personally have a high regard for the USPS and nearly all of the many of its employees I have encountered over the years, but as with all large organizations, it is contrary to human nature that all processes and employee abilities and attitudes are uniform throughout the organization. And then there is the not-so-minor-matter of all of the non-employee contractors and sub-contractors that move the mail back and forth between the individual post offices and the nearest USPS regional distribution center and those who move it between those distribution centers across the country.

Throughout your thinking about what I wrote above, please remember that media mail has a very low priority in the USPS system. Please also log on to Amazon.com and note their statements about how long delivery is likely to take for media products (notwithstanding that Amazon demands that its sellers ship within two business days).

So, with all due respect, I believe (actually kind of know) that the Club's magazine printer/mailer is pretty good at doing its job once it has been given the green light to roll the presses and neither the printer/distributor nor the Club has any control nor can have any control once the magazines enter the USPS system.

If you want instant uniform delivery, perhaps the better question is: When is the Club going to offer a internet version of the magazine?
Old 04-20-2015, 09:55 AM   #32
rockfla

It's also been an interesting view of USPS logistics' seeing where and who got there magazine and when, As people way south of me here in Florida got there mag 1 to 2 days before me (here in North Florida) and My dad usually gets his a day or two after me, here in the same town. Again, NO Complaints, was wondering if mine was lost? And turns out it wasn't
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:14 PM   #33
rotorwrench

I've had several not show up at all. I figure some postal worker likes old Fords.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:41 PM   #34
jjarvi

I haven't got mine yet.4/20, Michigan
jjarvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:11 PM   #35
JM 35 Sedan

I received mine today....life is good!!

Old 04-20-2015, 11:05 PM   #36
stan35

I haven't received mine in Oyster Bay NY as of 4/20. My friend who lives 20 minutes from me received his last week. Go figure.
stan35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:22 PM   #37
mercman from oz

Living in Australia, I expect to receive my copy of V8 Times later that those living in the USA. My copy arrived today, soaking wet in my Post Office Box compliments of Australia Post. I pay good money for a Post Office Box so that my Magazines do not get wet or damaged. Every page is stuck together and it is only good for Papier-mache, totally unreadable and useless. Even the cover is ripped. Luckily, the Early Ford V8 Club is a great Club to belong to, so I have requested a replacement copy. While the boss of Australia Post is taking home a Salary in the Millions, the service is going down the drain. What more can I say?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5059.jpg (75.5 KB, 9 views)
mercman from oz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:32 PM   #38
TonyM

Mercman, hang in there. I hope you get your new copy soon. The 1940 Ford Standard Coupe featured is really nice.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:10 AM   #39
VeryTangled

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
If you want instant uniform delivery, perhaps the better question is: When is the Club going to offer a internet version of the magazine?
I did a terrible job of asking a related question at one of the 2014 National Meet's President's meetings about .PDF versions of the other club publications. I'd be very grateful if the club could find a way to make some of their fabulous documents more computer friendly. Not an easy task, but do-able with the Digital Rights Management industry having progressed.

P.S. I know some folks who have a Courrier, and it's a great car owned by a great couple.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 08:32 AM   #40
stan35

I called the V8 Times on 4/30 and told them I still haven't received my copy. They said if I don't receive it by this weekend to call them Monday. They also said delivery is slower because of the new roster which is included. My friend who lives in the next town received his two weeks ago.
stan35 is offline   Reply With Quote