Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-12-2019, 08:24 PM   #1
bdtutton

Default Biggest scare in a Model A

Just wondering what kind of close calls people have had that were unique to a Model A or similar old car. Something that may not have been an issue if they were driving a new car.

Here is my story....On Friday I braved a rain storm to drive down from Michigan to visit a friend that lived on the East side of South Bend, Indiana. I have a mostly stock 1930 Tudor with a vacuum wiper. The afternoon drive in the rain was challenging, but I did OK. I stayed longer than planned and stopped to pick up food to take home along the super busy Grape Road. (This road is many lanes wide and always busy...especially on Friday night.) When I waled out of the restaurant it was after dark and raining really hard. I looked at the radar and realized it was only going to rain a lot harder for the next few hours.

Here is the scary part....When I jumped into the very cold car my cloths were wet and I was carrying a big bag of steaming hot food. Just as I got up to speed on the main road all the windows fogged up at once. I could not see anything in any direction and the reflections were 10 times worse than anything I had ever experienced in the car. I tried wiping the inside of the windshield but it did not help. I was traveling 35 mph in heavy rain and traffic and could not see....I was panicked and thought I was going to die.

I decided to just roll the window down and try sticking my head out in the pouring rain to see the road. The good news is that after about 10 seconds the air rushing in from the outside cleared the windows and I could see again....my face was wet and my heart was beating fast, but I had not crashed. I spent the rest of my trip rolling the window up and down, but it helped me see. I told my wife and she just looked at me and said....why don't you just drive a modern car??

So...why do we drive these old cars?
bdtutton is offline   Reply With Quote