Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-31-2019, 11:59 AM   #1
grumppyoldman

Default Need help identifying a differential

My newly acquired 55 Ford Fairlane has a rear end that comes out the front, like an 8" and 9" but the pinion doesn't come out of the housing. The housing is one piece, like the 8.8'', but doesn't have the ring mounts on the front like the 8.8 I've seen pictures of. I guess the rings could have been removed, since there is no suspension bars to connect. it is a 3.32 to 1 ratio, any thing you guys can help me with will greatly be appreciated. Al
grumppyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 12:30 PM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: Need help identifying a differential

The first generation of non-banjo rear axles for Ford cars beginning in 1949 all have the removable third member in similar fashion to the later Fords after 1956. They are getting hard to source parts for since Ford only used them for 9 years with some variations. A 3.32:1 ratio would be for a car with the Ford-O-Matic. Mercurys, Thunderbirds, station wagons, F1 pickups, and police cars used Dana rear axles. Folks still update the older cars with later axles so there may be some good ones out there from 1954 thru 1956. Ratios vary depending on the transmission they came with.

1955 was a change year for the type of axles they had. Earlier axles thru E55 had 17 spline and late 55 thru 56 had 28 splines. This affects the side gears but the 3rd member with axles can interchange in both types of case. They are #486 and #490 in the Hollander interchange manual. The whole axle assemblies will also interchange.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 05-31-2019 at 12:44 PM.
rotorwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 02:36 PM   #3
grumppyoldman

Thanks for the info Rotorwrench. what I must have is an eariier rear end. don't have time now to change it out, so i'll be looking at my options. Probably go with a 9" and be done with it. I found the block no.s yesterday, it's a 74 year 302. Rebuilt the carb. and replaced the ignition wires, adjusted carb. with vacuum gauge. It runs pretty well with the Mallory dist and coil, Eddlebrock intake and 4 barrel carb. Had to run it back to storage this morning, suppose to rain again this afternoon. Al
Old 05-31-2019, 03:54 PM   #4
miker98038

I know 9” fords are popular, but at least in my area they’re getting hard to come by and expensive. Poke around a bit, I think there’s an 8.8 out of a more modern ford that’s the right width, only needs the spring pads relocated. I can’t rmember where I saw that discussion, but it might have been here, or the 50’s Ford social group on the HAMB. Cheaper, lighter, and more than enough for anything short of racing a 302.

I’ve got a Dana 44 in one car, and they’re getting tough and expensive to change ratios on, I’d avoid those.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 03:47 AM   #5
KULTULZ

Post Re: Need help identifying a differential

Ford Banjo Removable Carrier Ill-

DANA Integral Carrier Ill-

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 11:56 AM   #6
Ole Don

My 55 sedan used a 1990 Ranger Supercab 8.8. I changed the spring perches, and it was OK. It had a 3.73 traction loc. After cutting and welding on there housings, check for warpage. I had my housing up where I could play with it, and it was warped. I welded around the opposite side from where I welded at first, and it came right back.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 11:21 PM   #7
Daves55Sedan

To my knowledge, the '49 thru at least '56 cars had banjo housing rear axles while the wagons had integral housing rear axles, also used on the pickup trucks.
The banjo housing axles had a removable carrier (pumpkin). Access to the gears of the integral housing axles was in the rear via a removable stamped steel plate. Pretty sure all the Ford's had 8.8" ring gears regardless of which type axle, but beginning in 1957, Ford designed a new banjo housing rear axle with 9" ring gear and that design was used for several years later.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 11:50 AM   #8
rotorwrench

The banjo is the 1948 and prior type where the axle housings bolt up to the center housing. The center housing and torque tube with axles & housings removed looks like a banjo so the name stuck. The removable 3rd member or hogs head type (or pumpkin if you like) was all new for 1949. I don't use the term "Hogs Head" much due to it being confused with the half bell housing for the early Ford 4-speed crash box type truck transmission. Folks use the term for too many things and it gets confusing. Most folks know what the 3rd member is for the Ford axles.

I know the term banjo is used by some on the removable carrier types but it looks like a banjo with fretboard at both ends so the term doesn't fit as well as it does for pre-48 types. It's more stuff to confuse people. Ford didn't use the 1st generation removable carrier type long enough for folks to give it an inch name. It's likely an 8 or 8.5 inch bolt circle but I've never measured one to find out. Most folks look for something else since it's difficult to find hard parts for and it's not known to be real strong either.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 06-04-2019 at 09:07 AM.
rotorwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 01:13 AM   #9
KULTULZ

Post Re: Need help identifying a differential

Banjo Type.

The tubular axle section of this casing is built up of steel pressings, which is welded together and suitably strengthened to withstand the bending load. The centre of this casing with the axle tube on one side resembles a banjo. The final drive assembly is mounted in detachable malleable iron housing and is secured by a ring of bolts to the axle casing. The axle shafts are slid into this assembly from the road wheel end of the casing. On some banjo axles a domed plate is bolted to the rear face of the casing. Removal of this plate provides excess to the final drive gears and in cases where the axle shaft is secured to the differential, this enables the axle shaft to be unlocked from the sun gear (side gear).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clip_image0013.jpg (34.6 KB, 9 views)

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:54 AM   #10
grumppyoldman

My 41 has a banjo rear end which I've re-built, it resembles a banjo while later models after 48 do not. I don't understand why some people call them a banjo when the look nothing like a banjo rear end. Al