Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-21-2017, 10:39 AM   #1
burly

Default Block ID (41 Merc?)

Purchased a raised intake block, factory relieved, round (circular) water outlet in center of head surface with keystone opening on the bottom which I thought indicated a 239?. No freeze plugs in the pan rail but each cylinder has what appears to be a thin sleeve slightly protruding from the bottom, 221? Pistons stamped 30 over. Appreciate any info you gents might be willing to share. Thanks guys!
burly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:01 AM   #2
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Block ID (41 Merc?)

You mention 239 and 221...characteristics are '41--wartime 239, just slap a ruler across the bore to be sure!
Also, look at back where the oil connections are. Is there a circular boss near the 2 drilled and tapped holes? I believe that is an indicator of a wartime block, marking the extra drilling needed for engines going to Canadian military because many of the commonwealth military vehicles had filters or oil coolers fitted. That boss stayed on in postwar flatheads.
During WWII, USA engines sometimes supplemented Canadian production, And Canada supplied the biggest part of Ford production for British, Indian, South African, and Anzac armies.
The Ford 1937-48 Engine overhaul book has one picture in which you can see a 3-hole block from some military vehicle.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:07 AM   #3
svm99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Lancaster View Post
You mention 239 and 221...characteristics are '41--wartime 239, just slap a ruler across the bore to be sure!
Also, look at back where the oil connections are. Is there a circular boss near the 2 drilled and tapped holes? I believe that is an indicator of a wartime block, marking the extra drilling needed for engines going to Canadian military because many of the commonwealth military vehicles had filters or oil coolers fitted. That boss stayed on in postwar flatheads.
During WWII, USA engines sometimes supplemented Canadian production, And Canada supplied the biggest part of Ford production for British, Indian, South African, and Anzac armies.
The Ford 1937-48 Engine overhaul book has one picture in which you can see a 3-hole block from some military vehicle.
I'll second Bruce's statement about the circular boss near the 2 drilled holes in the bell housing. I have 2 such blocks, 3 3/16" bore and both were removed from '41 trucks. Both blocks had remnants of the early blue paint used on the prewar 239 engines. Paul J.
svm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 01:52 PM   #4
rotorwrench

Truck engines may be relieved. Mercury car engines, not so much. Tin can sleeves could have been used. Ford used them in that era but some are sleeved and some are not. It seems like the 221 engines were sleeved more than the 239 but who knows. With Ford, anything is possible.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 04:26 PM   #5
andyg

Yes a "raised intake" block with round center hole and keystone bottom hole is a merc/truck 41 or 42 239ci (3-3/16 standard) flathead. And I'm looking for a good one if you would like to sell it.
andyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 05:11 PM   #6
Ken/Alabama

I've got what I believe is a early Mercury block. No raised intake and its stamped "99" on the intake surface. 3 3/16 bore. Can anyone verify this for me?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (74.9 KB, 56 views)
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 08:16 PM   #7
rotorwrench

The 99A was 1939 & 40 239. Most likely Mercury or special option Ford for those years. It should have the core clean out plugs in the pan rails.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:38 AM   #8
burly

It does have the circular boss you referred to on the bell housing. While measuring across the sleeve I come up with 3" & 3/16 I.D. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Lancaster View Post
burly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:35 PM   #9
andyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken/Alabama View Post
I've got what I believe is a early Mercury block. No raised intake and its stamped "99" on the intake surface. 3 3/16 bore. Can anyone verify this for me?
Yes you have a 99 or 99T block. If it is concaved on the outside of the block between the exhaust ports and no rsised deck intake area, and no clean out pressed in plugs on the oil pan mounting surface (refered to by most as freeze plugs) then it could be a 42 block 239 ci 3-3/16 standard bore.

As stated before, with freeze plugs and no raised intake area would indeed be a 39 or 40 block 239 ci 3-3/16 standards bore.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:03 AM   #10
andyg

Of coarse they did make some "raised intake deck" 59 engines as well. They also had the boss for the oil gallery in the back mentioned earlier. This is shown in Joe Abbin's new book "Ford & Mercury Flathead V8 - Identification & Rebuilders Guide". Probably a crossover of using old and new patterns at the foundry somewhere in the years 43-early 46. Those blocks could be Ford prototypes as well. But if they turned out good those few blocks in the transition could have been used in production vehicles. It's also possible that Ford was going to call this new 41 "raised intake deck" (From what others have said, actually deck heights are the same, the block is recessed) the 59 series and for whatever reason they decided to wait. So it's possible that these were foundered in late 40 or 41 and then the 59 on the bell housing was removed for foundry reasons or marketing wasn't ready to market this "FORD'S new improved 59 series engine". My personal feelings are that the founders were testing the new patterns to make sure they worked good with the old patterns that continued to be used and Ford was going to introduce the new "239" in 42 or 43 but didn't because of war efforts. The last part of this is speculation of coarse.

Last edited by andyg; 02-24-2017 at 10:36 AM.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:47 PM   #11
rotorwrench

Ford made up new cores in late 1940. I'm sure they were always in process of changing things due to wear or updates. The new design did away with the core plugs and used less cast material around the intake deck so it gives the look of a raised boss but it's really just less material and it made it a tad bit easier to finish the deck there.

Its too bad someone didn't pilfer and save some of those old core molds and boxes. Folks could buy new blocks when theirs are worn out instead of scouring the countryside for a decent usable one.