Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-12-2020, 12:09 PM   #1
tjaybo

Default steering column install

I am trying to install in 55 club sedan. What am I missing? When I slide the column over the steering shaft there is a space between the shaft and the I.D. of the column. Also when I put the steering wheel on, it hits the turn signal housing. Is there a roller bearing or bushing that goes at the top of the shaft to take up that space and stops the steering wheel when the retaining nut is installed?
also is there supposed to be a spacer or shim that goes between the steering column support and the brake peddle bracket?
Thanks Jim
tjaybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 03:49 PM   #2
Dobie Gillis

Default Re: steering column install

According to the '54/'55 Mercury parts manual there should be a bearing and a tapered sleeve at the top of the shaft. No spacer or shim shown at the pedal bracket. Again, this is from a Mercury parts manual but your '55 Ford would use the same or similar parts.
Old 09-13-2020, 10:51 AM   #3
tjaybo

thanks Dobie
tjaybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 03:51 PM   #4
Ole Don

Loosen the three bolts that hold the gearbox to the frame. Put the column in, put in the upper bearing and taper, and put the wheel on loose. Then when the gap between the wheel and the housing is about 1/8 inch, tighten the clamp over the column at the gearbox, then the clamp under the dash, then the three bolts on the frame, and then the nut on the wheel.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 08:14 PM   #5
Daves55Sedan

Ditto what Ole Don said.
I believe you are missing the tapered sleeve. It slips down over the steering shaft and rests on the roller bearing that is built in to the hub area of the steering column. That tapered sleeve keeps the top of the column centered with the steering shaft. Then there is a spring that rests on the top of that tapered sleeve. That spring keeps the tapered sleeve compressed around the roller bearing for perfect centeredness.
You will notice that it is a fight to adjust the steering column height after the steering wheel is on. Thats because that spring is pushing the whole steering column down toward the gearbox. You gotta get a crowbar to push the steering tube upward at the base while tightening the clamp at the bottom. Be sure your steering tube to dash mounting bracket is a little loose while doing this. After you get the height of the steering column adjusted, go in and tap on that dash mounting bracket until it is aligned to permit installation of the dash cover and gasket, then tighten the bracket to the dash.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 08:18 PM   #6
Daves55Sedan

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
BTW, if you don't have that tapered sleeve, I have some extra ones. I could send ya one one, but maybe you should look at my ad in the swap meet (lots of '55 parts for sale) and pick out of that list whatever else you need so I am not sending one tiny little part in a box that the shipping cost more than the part.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote