Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-08-2012, 09:21 AM   #1
30ccpickup

Default Lakeshore Drive (U.S. 41)

My wife and I are planning to take Lakeshore Drive (U.S. 41) right thru Chicago on our way to Oshkosh. The intent is to hit the 10:00am traffic on Saturday. Is it going to be a once in a life time experence or a total mistake?

Paul

Fordbarners, Feel free to use the pictures on my site to answer questions and create tutorials/tech articles.
30ccpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:07 AM   #2
JBill

Default Re: Lakeshore Drive (U.S. 41)

I don't even like it that much to drive there in my modern car. My vote would be that it's a mistake to take such a congested route, but I'm sure others will disagree.
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:34 AM   #3
30ccpickup

How bad is it? It's been about 15 yrs since I drove it. Is it a 65 mph highway or 45 mph with a lot of stop and go?

Fordbarners, Feel free to use the pictures on my site to answer questions and create tutorials/tech articles.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:52 AM   #4
gweilbaker

Are you driving your A?
gweilbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:18 PM   #5
30ccpickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweilbaker View Post
Are you driving your A?
Yes, I am driving the A. Oshkosh is only part of our trip, the wife and I want to drive around Lake Michigan.

Last edited by 30ccpickup; 06-08-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:24 PM   #6
WTSHNN

Taken at Loyola and the lake, a mile north of the end of LSD.

I take the drive from I-55 as far north as it goes to Hollywood (so about 11 miles) five days a week for work. I have driven my '31 on LSD a lot and it is perfect as the speed limit is 40mph.

At 10am on a Saturday, you'll be fine. The Chicago Blues Fest is this weekend so there are a couple of street closures down near Grant Park but it shouldn't be anything too terrible at 10am.

Make sure to budget 15 minutes to stop at the Museum Campus to take some great shots of your A with the skyline in the background.

And listen to this song as you drive it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjNSmAl7hF0

-Tim
WTSHNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:31 PM   #7
30ccpickup

Tim, love the truck. Thank you, your post makes my wife very happy. I will defiantly allow the extra time for the photos!

Old 06-08-2012, 12:49 PM   #8
flatford39

I thought LSD didn't allow truck traffic. I know I can't drive my daily driver a Chevy pick up on it. I guess you are OK if you don't have truck plates.
flatford39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:49 PM   #9
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

TOTAL MISTAKE... They are idiots out there driving and with what is going on this weekend DO NOT TAKE that route!
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:01 PM   #10
gweilbaker

Could you make it earlier? On Satudays, everybody rolls out of bed at that time and clogs the streets until about noonish. It's just like the rush commutes during the weekday.
gweilbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:11 PM   #11
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweilbaker View Post
Could you make it earlier? On Satudays, everybody rolls out of bed at that time and clogs the streets until about noonish. It's just like the rush commutes during the weekday.
That was funny BUT OH SO TRUE!!! yea after noon FORGET IT!!! where you coming from again?
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:07 PM   #12
WTSHNN

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmaron View Post
TOTAL MISTAKE... They are idiots out there driving and with what is going on this weekend DO NOT TAKE that route!
Mark; that can apply to every road at any time of day.

I see no problem with the drive, be cautious, pay attention and drive defensively like you should at all times when behind the wheel of your A or any other vehicle. The speed limit is 40mph, yes, people drive faster than that, but they drive faster than that on every road.

Flatford; You're right, no trucks on the drive Hollywood to I55. However, the guys running traffic on LSD are looking for excessive speeders or large trucks (semis, box trucks etc) versus an 80 year old quarter ton truck doing 40.
-Tim

Last edited by WTSHNN; 06-08-2012 at 02:19 PM.
WTSHNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:58 PM   #13
Vern

"However, the guys running traffic on LSD are looking for excessive speeders or large trucks (semis, box trucks etc) versus an 80 year old quarter ton truck doing 40."

In my day, the guys on LSD were looking for cosmic insight and the deeper meaning to "I am the Walrus"!!!!
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:40 PM   #14
MikeK

I live in Chicago (not a suburb) and drive it alot. Traffic generally goes 40-50mph. Saturday is fine. The truck restriction applies to type of license plate. If you have an Illinois truck plate with "B" or higher you are restricted. If you have car plates or antique plates you are OK.

The alternative, driving around the south and west of Chicago is HORRIBLE. You would be in the suburbs. Remember, 'sub-' means less than. It is definitely a less than thrilling experience as well as a boring infinitum of stoplights and strip malls. You will miss the once in a lifetime experience of seeing the lake and skyline of a magnificent city.

When you get to the end of LSD (US 41) at Hollywood Ave the scenic route would be to take Sheridan road north through Evanston, past Northwestern U., gaze at the Bahai temple in Wilmette, then all the way up to Highland park. At that point rejoin US41 and go north from there.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:45 PM   #15
flatford39

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
I live in Chicago (not a suburb) and drive it alot. Traffic generally goes 40-50mph. Saturday is fine. The truck restriction applies to type of license plate. If you have an Illinois truck plate with "B" or higher you are restricted. If you have car plates or antique plates you are OK.

The alternative, driving around the south and west of Chicago is HORRIBLE. You would be in the suburbs. Remember, 'sub-' means less than. It is definitely a less than thrilling experience as well as a boring infinitum of stoplights and strip malls. You will miss the once in a lifetime experience of seeing the lake and skyline of a magnificent city.

When you get to the end of LSD (US 41) at Hollywood Ave the scenic route would be to take Sheridan road north through Evanston, past Northwestern U., gaze at the Bahai temple in Wilmette, then all the way up to Highland park. At that point rejoin US41 and go north from there.
X2 on this advice. The architecture is outstanding. Bring a camera.
flatford39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:52 PM   #16
29ModelA

I drive Chicago a LOT, on a Saturday you may be OK. It isn't something I would want to do in a car like an A... Chicago drivers flat out don't give a damn if they hit you, and they are the worst at paying attention. I drive 1/2 of the US in my pickup for work, and Chicago, DC and NY are the worst places I have driven.

Interior, steering box (rebuild), and I am sure much more!
29ModelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:22 PM   #17
Bruce of MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford39 View Post
X2 on this advice. The architecture is outstanding. Bring a camera.
I moved from Chicago in 1998, so my knowledge is not current, but I agree that you should go for it.
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:32 PM   #18
Aerocraft

As long as you are Lake Shore Drive, you will be fine in my opinion. Once off the Drive and into Evanston and points north it will be a pain. Be paitent, enjoy and stop at the tourist sights, and you eventually will be in Wisconsin. It is going to be quite hot this weekend in Chicago with 90+ temperatures. Plan accordingly. Gar Williams
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:58 PM   #19
gz

I have driven my Model A and even my Model T on Lakeshore Drive. At 40-50mph it is fine. Of course, avoid rush hour traffic if possible, but that is the route I would recommend. Of course, if you have some time to kill, you might want to stop at the Museum of Science and Industry. It's right there on 57th and Lakeshore.
gz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:05 PM   #20
30ccpickup

Thanks for all the input. The first leg of the drive around the lake is complete. Lakeshore Drive (U.S. 41) was a great way to go. The drivers for the most part were courteous. Driving on U.S. 20 through Gary was interesting. I have never seen so many abandoned buildings in one area before. I should have taken pictures. You wonder why a city like that dies out. Some of the houses were really cool at one time.

Paul