Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-19-2017, 07:31 AM   #1
JunkyJud

Default 39 column lock warning

I'm working on an AV8 project and have been deciding which column and lock to use. The '39 cross steer is going to work for me so I started lining up the column with the original lock. The key wouldn't work so I had to take the cylinder out. After unlocking the column I put it in the truck and while working it back and forth, the steering locked up, even with the lock mechanism disengaged. After trying to research the complete assembly of the '39 lock with no luck, I removed it and took it apart.

What I found is that the locking plunger has a notch cut into it that allows it to be held in the slide mechanism by a small steel plate that is crimped in place. Apparently, this steel plate got worn away over the many years of engaging and disengaging of the lock plunger. It is not rusted, just worn away. The problem that I see with the '39 lock is that when this part fails, the plunger drops down due to gravity. If it happens out of the blue, particularly while driving, the results could be disastrous. The odds are probably slim but in any case, I changed to a '35 style lock with the plunger on the side.

I'm only posting this to give folks a heads up since there seems to be very little information about this type of lock other than removing the lock cylinder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 39 column lock.JPG (112.5 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg 39 column lock 1.JPG (126.7 KB, 96 views)
JunkyJud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 07:52 AM   #2
skidmarks

Default Re: 39 column lock warning

The piece that screws to the steering shaft, i take them off. No worry of if getting jammed up and in a hotrod what do you need it to lock for
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 08:26 AM   #3
40cpe

You are correct with your warning. I have a '38 with the same style lock. I don't use the original ignition switch/lock and rarely operated it. Once while driving on the interstate I made a slight turn to exit and the wheel was locked. Over time, the weight of the lock plunger had turned the cylinder toward the Off position. That time I had plenty of time to turn the key back to the on position. I now check it regularly.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 09:13 AM   #4
TomT/Williamsburg

I am using w 39 truck column drop in my latest hotrod project and I had the exact same problem. So, after drilling out all and everything of the lock, I modified the column drop for my purposes ....

The key lock location is your starter button, the top switch is a two position switch for my 2-speed aftermarket heater/defroster unit which is hidden by a 46-48 heater box enclosure .....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170423_151629534.jpg (65.4 KB, 68 views)
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 10:44 AM   #5
blucar

The unexpected locking of the early Ford column locks is nothing new, it happened on a regular basis when the cars were very common.
The easy way to eliminate the problem is to remove the locking collar from the steering gear shaft.
I was recently going through my various early Ford parts, came upon a half dozen steering column locking collars.. Hmmmm, don't remember removing that many of them. I do remember that it was a very common practice to remove the lock collars from the street rods. Some people liked to play games, reaching over and turning the ignition off, turning the key to lock and thereby creating a vehicle that was impossible to steer. Not a good thing when one is roaring down the road..
Old 08-20-2017, 07:12 AM   #6
SofaKing

JunkyJud, Thanks for passing on safety related information.
TomT, I like your improvisation.
SofaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:32 AM   #7
twostickmutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucar View Post
The unexpected locking of the early Ford column locks is nothing new, it happened on a regular basis when the cars were very common.
The easy way to eliminate the problem is to remove the locking collar from the steering gear shaft.
I was recently going through my various early Ford parts, came upon a half dozen steering column locking collars.. Hmmmm, don't remember removing that many of them. I do remember that it was a very common practice to remove the lock collars from the street rods. Some people liked to play games, reaching over and turning the ignition off, turning the key to lock and thereby creating a vehicle that was impossible to steer. Not a good thing when one is roaring down the road..
is that a big project to remove the locking collar ? might be a good idea to do it to mine. only problem is I can't get the key out after many many tries and spraying it with pb blaster I don't know how many times. thanks
twostickmutt is offline   Reply With Quote