Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-15-2016, 03:25 PM   #1
Cape Codder

Default Radiator Baffle Question

Does anyone know how wide (side to side) the baffle should be in the radiator?

I am having trouble maintaining the level of water in the radiator. I am not able to see the tops of the tubes with the present arrangement. This is a recently recored radiator. I had instructed the shop to install a baffle, as I didn't have one in the prior arrangement, never thinking of size.

I have read the "Good Book" and says in part "In April 1930, the radiator splash plate (baffle) was changed from a straight to a curved design. (See illustration). It does not state nor does the illustration indicate any width.

Thanks for anyone's input.
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 03:47 PM   #2
Y-Blockhead

Default Re: Radiator Baffle Question

I can not "see" my tubes in my radiator either. Since I don't know the history of my radiator I just assumed that the way it is supposed to be. I fill the coolant until I can determine it is a little higher than the baffle, That way I can ensure it is not too low.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 03-15-2016 at 03:54 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 04:03 PM   #3
darrylkmc

Default Radiator Baffle Question

Here are a couple of photos of the Early '30 style Baffle and the Later style Baffle. I do not have dimensions, but if I can locate the early tank l will get some for you.

Late tank on Left, Early tank on Right.

Darryl in Fairbanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg user9967_pic8743_1310072877.jpg (30.7 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg user9967_pic8742_1310072877.jpg (39.7 KB, 161 views)
darrylkmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 04:18 PM   #4
Mitch//pa
BANNED

I don't think the baffle is anything special other than a shield to stop the turbulence from spraying upwards and out the overflow tube along with keeping the coolant available to the radiator core without disruption. Remember the model A pumps like a M-humper... Many aftermarket quality radiators utilize many different baffle designs..
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 04:22 PM   #5
Cape Codder

Thanks to Y-Blockhead and Darryl.
Y-Blockhead - I have the same situation as yourself but have been using/loosing a pint to as much as a quart + on some drives. My fellow club members will go on the same trip as I and never add water.
Darryl in Fairbanks - if possible I would like to have a dimension on the late tank.
Thanks again for the response.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:41 PM   #6
darrylkmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Codder View Post
Thanks to Y-Blockhead and Darryl.
Y-Blockhead - I have the same situation as yourself but have been using/loosing a pint to as much as a quart + on some drives. My fellow club members will go on the same trip as I and never add water.
Darryl in Fairbanks - if possible I would like to have a dimension on the late tank.
Thanks again for the response.
Cape Codder,

Unfortunately the Late Baffle is in the radiator under the hood of my Phaeton. You might be able to scale it using the neck dimension as a guide. It is really just a rolled piece of brass. There are a few more photos in my Albums on my Ford Barn page.

Darryl
darrylkmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:21 PM   #7
Cape Codder

Thanks Darryl. I will check that idea out.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:58 PM   #8
Chuck Sea/Tac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
I don't think the baffle is anything special other than a shield to stop the turbulence from spraying upwards and out the overflow tube along with keeping the coolant available to the radiator core without disruption. Remember the model A pumps like a M-humper... Many aftermarket quality radiators utilize many different baffle designs..
Since the water enters the radiator at the top, and lands on top of the baffle, I would think its job is to spread the water out towards the outer edges of the radiator to more fully utilize it.page 450 of the service bulletins shows the early vertical baffle and the redesigned horizontal one. It also explains the problem of a hole around the overflow tube and how to position it to help stop overflow out of it.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:00 AM   #9
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Sea/Tac View Post
Since the water enters the radiator at the top, and lands on top of the baffle, I would think its job is to spread the water out towards the outer edges of the radiator to more fully utilize it.page 450 of the service bulletins shows the early vertical baffle and the redesigned horizontal one. It also explains the problem of a hole around the overflow tube and how to position it to help stop overflow out of it.
Yes correct I miss typed about the baffle being above the water inlet flow...thanks for catching that....

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 03-16-2016 at 07:31 AM.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:18 AM   #10
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

Forget the baffle. Get out on the road and drive a steady 45 mph for 10 full minutes. I bet you will start losing water and may start boiling over. If you are losing water, you have a cooling problem.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:53 AM   #11
Cape Codder

Jackson - I don't understand how it could be a cooling problem. The motor was rebuilt just a little over 4100 miles ago and radiator was recored at the same time. I have never had a boiling over problem although like I said I add the water on trips more so then my fellow club members who tour with me. As for forgetting the baffle, it came with one so I had it put in.

The reason for this discussion is I have a baffle in there that does not allow me to see the top of the tubes so that I can tell how much water is really in the radiator. I have been filling it to maybe 1/16" of water to the lower part of the baffle. If I don't then I don't know how much I have in.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:42 PM   #12
Bob C

Why not attach an overflow catch can or bottle for awhile then you can tell
if it will seek a level or just keep pushing more water out.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 01:41 PM   #13
eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
Why not attach an overflow catch can or bottle for awhile then you can tell
if it will seek a level or just keep pushing more water out.

Bob
My thoughts exactly. Push a hose onto the overflow tube, run it to a plastic jug tie wrapped in the engine compartment and run it down the road for a while and actually see how much you are losing. When you say you add more than the other drivers on a tour, have you tried NOT adding for a while? Does the engine get hot or ???? Just trying to determine why you are adding? I check my coolant in the spring, maybe add a cup or so, then don't have to add anything more until the following spring. Usually the first run of the spring it dumps a couple ounces out the overflow, since I usually over fill it a bit, then its good for the rest of the season.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:28 PM   #14
Cape Codder

EAGLE - Thanks for your response. Are you able to see the tops of your tubes on either side of the baffle to see how much water is covering the tubes. I cannot do that and therefore do not know how much is in the radiator.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:46 PM   #15
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Cape
Are you losing the water out the overflow tube?
Old 03-16-2016, 03:50 PM   #16
CarlG

How about using one of those cheapy borescopes that Costco sells?
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:36 PM   #17
eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Codder View Post
EAGLE - Thanks for your response. Are you able to see the tops of your tubes on either side of the baffle to see how much water is covering the tubes. I cannot do that and therefore do not know how much is in the radiator.
No, I cannot see the radiator tubes. I add enough to just see it coming up by the baffle. It blows off a few ounces then stays there. No problems with blowing off any more coolant. Usually takes less than a cup each spring to bring it back to where I can see it. Doesn't overheat even in the hottest weather. It is all stock, no thermostat, original radiator (as far as I can tell) just the way it came from the factory. That is why you may want to collect the blown off coolant. It will tell you where the level should be, or if you are blowing off too much. Mine will quit blowing off in just a few miles usually.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:36 AM   #18
Jacksonlll

The coolant recovery bottle would show you what is happening, but I think you are just replacing what flows out due to expansion. Your system is fine. You just have to convince yourself that all is OK.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:40 AM   #19
Jacksonlll

You could drill a small hole in the baffle and use a dowel rod to measure the level. That would be easy.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:00 PM   #20
Cape Codder

Thanks to all. I think I will go with the temp. plastic bottle hooked up to the overflow. I don't see any sign of water in the oil (I would think that would be very apparent as I have anti-freeze in the cooling) so I feel that is a good sign.
Again, thanks to all.