Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-28-2019, 01:46 AM   #1
Fortunateson

Question Opening a front door...

Well I hope the title got your attention. Hers the situation: I have a '69 LTD four door. The driver's door will not open as it is locked. BUT the door lock knob will not unlock it and the door handle will not open it from the inside either. I would remove the door card but the seat is in the way and I'm not interested in removing the seat at the moment. I presume some rod has become detached inside the door. So who has some suggestions. Had a tow truck driver try a slim Jim but no luck...
Fortunateson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 09:24 AM   #2
KULTULZ

Unhappy Re: Opening a front door...

If the SLIM JIM didn't work, I can't imagine any other way but either moving the seat out of the way or removing it.

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 09:28 AM   #3
dmsfrr

Default Re: Opening a front door...

Should we assume the key cylinder at the outside door handle doesn't work either? or is the key missing?
There may not be another choice than taking the inside door panel off.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 12:40 PM   #4
Fortunateson

Ive got the key and the cylinder works. I guess the seat will have to come out eventually. Not a priority yet. Hopefully I'll be able to remove the door card withought buggering it up.

Last edited by Fortunateson; 06-28-2019 at 07:52 PM.
Old 06-29-2019, 07:10 AM   #5
5851a

Without knowing what the linkages look like or what direction the latch may need pushed or pulled. I would take the door card off of the passenger door for a look and better plan of attack. Reverse engineer a tool to reach in.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 09:44 AM   #6
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: Opening a front door...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5851a View Post

Without knowing what the linkages look like or what direction the latch may need pushed or pulled. I would take the door card off of the passenger door for a look and better plan of attack. Reverse engineer a tool to reach in.
...damn! ...

That is an excellent idea as it may not be possible to remove the door panel completely without damaging it. Once you discover how everything works, you can feel your way through the left door.

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:56 AM   #7
frank long island

my guess would be a broken spring on the lock side of lock setup when doors are locked it bypasses opening function
frank long island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 12:28 PM   #8
packrat5
BANNED

Okay, first of all, this post is going off in a different direction like most of them do. (If you don't know, WHY do you post?) With that said, the problem is lack of lubrication/old dried up lubrication on the latch mechanism itself. Run the window all the way down. Now look at the latch with a POWERFUL flashlight. You will see that the latch is half locked/unlocked, and the lock is half locked/unlocked. Now lube up the latch with motor oil, NOT penetrating oil. Lots of oil, like running out the bottom. Penetrating oil won't do a damn thing. I had a long flat blade screwdriver with the end bent over at a 90 degree. Repeat long screwdriver, long enough to comfortably reach the latch. Now you have to lift the lock back to open position, and pull the door release back to normal position. You may have to go back and alternate it for several times to get it right. The harder the door latch has been jammed by trying different stupid methods to open it, will result in more difficulty in unjamming it. THIS IS THE CORRECT WAY TO ACCOMPLISH THIS, PERIOD. NOTHING ELSE WILL WORK. Any other method will result in jamming it tighter, or ruining the latch.This was a common occurrence in the 60s and 70s When you finally get it open, take EVERYTHING in the door apart, and lube it up really good with some light grease and oil. NOT penetrating oil. Lube up the window rollers, and regulator, etc as well, the window will work better. When you master this, do ALL the doors and windows as well. They will all need it, and are probably ready to stick as well. I did hundreds of these thing over the years, I know what I am talking about.
By the way, removing the door panel will accomplish nothing. You can't reach the latch easily, or remove it either, until the latch is unjammed and the door is open.
packrat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 02:10 PM   #9
KULTULZ

Exclamation Re: Opening a front door...

Quote:
...first of all, this post is going off in a different direction like most of them do. (If you don't know, WHY do you post?
... damn ...

I see we had a little trouble with BIBLE SCHOOL as a youth ...

What you say is correct, but why would you drop a quart of motor oil into a door frame when the penetrate has a wand?

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 07-09-2019, 01:40 AM   #10
Fortunateson

Well that's interesting and I will give it a try. Howwever, I have not tried "different stupid methods" as I'm the only one that has worked on this car in the last 30 years. This is why I went to this forum in the first place.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:41 AM   #11
KULTULZ

Post Re: Opening a front door...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortunateson View Post

Well that's interesting and I will give it a try. Howwever, I have not tried "different stupid methods" as I'm the only one that has worked on this car in the last 30 years. This is why I went to this forum in the first place.
You have to allow for different types. What the poster posted is true, if the latch mechanism itself is frozen/defective, It could be a few other problems also.

Using a hooked tool via the glass opening will allow you to manipulate the linkage(s). A good shot of WD-40 may free it if frozen.

Just don't judge all by a few.

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 07-09-2019, 10:05 AM   #12
Fortunateson

Well the thing is the door handle doesn't seem to have any tension on it at all. I suspect a rod has become disengaged.
Old 02-13-2020, 03:25 PM   #13
klev

So, did removing the (seat and the) door card allow you the access you needed?

I am having the same issue - though it's the rear door. All worked fine; now door won't open from in or out and the handle and door button both feel "disconnected".
I am guessing access to the inside of the door (door card removed) will reveal the problem....?
Thanks ... anyone
klev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:27 AM   #14
54vicky

he either forgot to post solution or he is emulating the Duke boys.in your case removing trim panel will probably reveal the problem.you are lucky in that removing the back seat is a hell of a lot easier than the front.if you are unsure of what you are looking for post back with a clear picture.good luck
54vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 02:48 PM   #15
Fortunateson

Well it's nice to know that I've been missed! LOL The reason that I haven't posted the outcome is because there is no outcome....
This particular issue is not a top or even near the top priority. I've been working on a variety of other things but may get back to this door business when th weather gets a tad warmer. When I do I'll will post the outcome.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:37 PM   #16
Blowerbob

I agree with pacrat5 i have seen this problem several times over the years. i dont know about that much oil but everything else he hit right on the head
Bob
Blowerbob is offline   Reply With Quote