Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-18-2020, 02:53 PM   #41
bdtutton

Default Re: Ok, I've got a question for the Northerners....long.

I live in Southwest Michigan and I don't let the winters stop me. I have a 1930 Tudor that occupies the prime position in the garage and goes out anytime the salt has been washed off the roads and it is above zero. In extreme cold everything is really stiff on my model A and even with a manifold heater the interior is uncomfortable.
I say....get your car out and drive it anytime the salt is off the road. Make sure you run thinner oil and check your oil filler tube/breather for that foamy stuff that builds up. I have noticed that oil gets pushed out of my rear main bearing when it is really cold and that breather gets blocked off. It must be building up some pressure in the crankcase.
*** Don't let your car be a trailer queen if you bought it to drive it.... ***
bdtutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 08:07 AM   #42
Ed in Maine

You are not going to like my answer! Find a place in Florida for the winter. "Ed in Maine" is actually "Ed in Palm Coast, FL". It wasn't my idea, it was my wife's and if the wife isn't happy, nobody is happy. We are in our 70s. She told me she couldn't see herself getting from the house to the car in the snow and ice. Our garage is full with 1914 T, 31 Cabriolet and 32 Model B. The only good thing about leaving Maine for Florida for the winter is I needed another Model A and in this case I found a 31 Victoria (4 weeks ago). Now I can drive antique cars all year long and have made new old car friends in Florida. Maybe the wife was right. I hope spring will come quickly for you. That first engine start after a long winter has always been a treat for me. Good luck, Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 08:41 AM   #43
History

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dayhuff View Post
Just kidding of course, I wouldn't know the first thing about that but hey I can hold a flash light with the best of them. .
If my dad was still around he would be the judge of that. He was a fine point judge of holding flashlights, I failed many light holding competitions.

I'm slowly becoming a fine point light holding judge myself using my son as a light holder, I don't know if he'll ever be able to compete.

Someone mentioned nfl,,, when the morons started kneeling I stoppped watching, not even Super Bowl.
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 10:53 AM   #44
Corley

John,

Get a mistress. No, not to keep you busy! Here is the plan; When your wife finds out about the mistress she will take that mini van and run, leaving you with lots of room in the gara..g..e,,, Wait, maybe this is not one of my better ideas. Sorry... Forget I said anything.
Corley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 02:31 PM   #45
Tom Wesenberg

A winter home in the dry southwest would be ideal, but finding an affordable one is the problem. Lots of people want to get out of the miserable long cold winters, and that sure drives up the prices, and even a small empty lot is expensive.
I would never drive one of my old cars when salt is on the roads. Even the dry road salt makes it's way into crevices and bolt threads.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 02:34 PM   #46
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by History View Post
I

Someone mentioned nfl,,, when the morons started kneeling I stoppped watching, not even Super Bowl.
Thank you. I thought I was one of the few I also gave up watching that over hyped nonsense because of that. Gives me more time in the garage.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 02:39 PM   #47
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaldwi3 View Post
Yep move to Florida, I left Michigan a long time ago. No regrets. And my cars thanked me!(no potholes!)
Could be good could be bad. If you live near the ocean you are exposed to salt 24/7 like it or not. Add to that the super humid Florida climate and ya got trouble.

I looked at a '69 Mach 1, Q Code 428CJ for sale here in Illinois that lived all of it's life on the Gulf Coast. I was shocked at just how bad of shape the car was truly in. I'd seen Illinois cars that had been driven daily back then that looked just as bad as this one did That and the interiors go to hell faster in the heat and more direct sunshine.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 02:49 PM   #48
John Dayhuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corley View Post
John,

Get a mistress. No, not to keep you busy! Here is the plan; When your wife finds out about the mistress she will take that mini van and run, leaving you with lots of room in the gara..g..e,,, Wait, maybe this is not one of my better ideas. Sorry... Forget I said anything.
Yeah that will never happen, we've been married almost 25 years and were still in love and even the best of friends.
Old 01-19-2020, 02:50 PM   #49
John Dayhuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
Thank you. I thought I was one of the few I also gave up watching that over hyped nonsense because of that. Gives me more time in the garage.
Whats the NFL?
Old 01-19-2020, 09:34 PM   #50
Penthode

It is tough with the long winters up north not driving my '29 Tudor. I have locked the Tudor away for the winter months only starting her monthly checking her out and letting her run until she is fully warm without putting her on the salt infested roads.

During the winter months, I take up my other hobby: 1920s radio. I was listening alternately to WCBS 880 NYC and WHO 1040 in Des Moines on my 1926 Atwater Kent Model 32 yesterday evening.
Penthode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 11:17 PM   #51
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by History View Post
If my dad was still around he would be the judge of that. He was a fine point judge of holding flashlights, I failed many light holding competitions.

I'm slowly becoming a fine point light holding judge myself using my son as a light holder, I don't know if he'll ever be able to compete. :rolleyes
I too failed the light holding contest. Seems I wanted to see what Dad was doing so the light somehow was shining in his eyes when I held the light so I could see!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote