Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-17-2019, 09:21 PM   #1
bucket-o-rust

Default Battery charger????

I need to buy a 6 volt battery charger that you leave connected to your battery all the
time to keep it charged. What would you suggest I purchase.
bucket-o-rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:45 PM   #2
30 Closed Cab PU

Default Re: Battery charger????

Noco GS750 Maintainer.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:50 PM   #3
ryanheacox

Schumacher SP1297 6/12V Fully Automatic Battery Charger and 3A Maintainer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0756PV96N..._FAG0DbZ3W8PKH

That is the maintainer I have and it seems to do a good job.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:13 PM   #4
30 Closed Cab PU

I also tried 4 Black and Decker BM3B maintainers last year. 2 on 6V setting and 2 on 12 V setting (had 4 batteries). Worked OK on the 12V.

In my unheated detached garage and on 6v they stopped working once temp got below 25 degrees F. They did not drain the 6 V batteries, and on 6v they started working again above 30- 35 degrees.

So far this year the above NOCO GS750s have worked down to 7 degrees F, waiting for even colder weather to see if they hold up.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:20 PM   #5
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

This is what I used;

http://products.batterytender.com/Au...fficiency.html
Old 11-18-2019, 01:03 AM   #6
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
2X I also have two 12v Tenders.

I was gifted one on these and it lasted about 2 months before the 'Mode' button started bulging and it blink twice and died. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You really do get what you pay for.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 11-18-2019 at 04:08 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:14 AM   #7
leo

I've had 2 old model Deltran Battery Tenders for many years. They still work but I do not leave them on my vehicles continuously, I just attach them when I need to. I had a question about the 6 volt unit last year and Deltran told me to send it to them and they would check it out. That just cost me the postage, they said it was OK and returned it. Good people to work with.
leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 02:59 PM   #8
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Quote:
I got a similar Battery Tender but mine is 6v/12v. It automatically selects 6v or 12v depending on the voltage of the battery. It’s listed for $79 but I got it at Costco for $44.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 06:09 PM   #9
AL in NY

I use a Craftsman Diehard Battery Charger/Maintainer "https://www.sears.com/diehard-battery-charger-maintainer/p-02871219000P?plpSellerId=Sears&prdNo=2&blockNo=2&b lockType=G2#"
Been using two of them for 3 years, no problem. The first one I purchased was a Schumacher and it died with 9 months..
Old 11-18-2019, 10:22 PM   #10
Dave1931Pickup

Quote:
I have three 12 volt units on my motorcycles, two 12 volt units on the tractor and snowblower and a 6 volt on the "A" battery. I leave them on all the time. They work great. Tractor battery is now twelve years old.
Dave1931Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 01:05 AM   #11
midgetracer

I have used Battery Tender, Schumacher, Black and Decker and NOCO for the 14 batterys I have.most are 6v, but many are 12V. The Battery tenders are the oldest and have never failed. The NOCO is new this year and so far so good. Black and Decker were total junk. none made more than one season, most failed within weeks. Shumacher is not great. I have 3 different models. some are 3 years old and some failed after one year. I sent one back that failed in a few weeks and they replaced it after a 3 month delay.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 01:07 AM   #12
midgetracer

I forgot, I have a Sears that is more than 5 years old and has never failed.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 08:57 AM   #13
Keith True

First,what is wrong with your car that makes it need a charger on it all the time?My cars sit for months,start them up and go.Second,chargers scare me.The new smart chargers scare me the most.They don't always do what they are supposed to.I did leave one of those little Deltran maintainers on a tractor in the shed,I went out one day and it was melted inside with the paint burned off.It was laying on the head of the Kohler engine,so nothing was hurt.I will use low rate chargers sometimes,but keep an eye on them.I will never leave a charger on in a building unless I am around to watch it.I would rather fix the car than cover up the problem by keeping a battery charger on it all the time.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 09:10 AM   #14
alexiskai

This is the combo charger/maintainer I've used for 2 years. Works great, I've used all the charging modes on both 6V and 12V batteries. Brought back an Optima that had been completely discharged. As someone above mentioned, I would not keep a charger on a battery long-term continuously, but if you want to, this product would work fine.

http://www.mroinge.com/index.php?rou...&product_id=53
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 09:25 AM   #15
77Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
First,what is wrong with your car that makes it need a charger on it all the time?My cars sit for months,start them up and go.Second,chargers scare me.The new smart chargers scare me the most.They don't always do what they are supposed to.I did leave one of those little Deltran maintainers on a tractor in the shed,I went out one day and it was melted inside with the paint burned off.It was laying on the head of the Kohler engine,so nothing was hurt.I will use low rate chargers sometimes,but keep an eye on them.I will never leave a charger on in a building unless I am around to watch it.I would rather fix the car than cover up the problem by keeping a battery charger on it all the time.
I think I would get in touch with the manufacture to see what the problem was. They are decent people to deal with.
I have and have had several 'Battery Tenders' and have never had a problem. I keep one hooked to my motorcycle all of the time. Good Products.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 09:36 AM   #16
TerryO

Quote:
I will use low rate chargers sometimes,but keep an eye on them.I will never leave a charger on in a building unless I am around to watch it

I won't leave a charger on overnight. I have never had an issue but have heard from those who have and I think it is better to be safe than sorry. I also seldom have to use a battery charger. JMHO

TerryO
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 09:56 AM   #17
Joe K

In a different application, (battery powered back-up sump pump) I have found that "smart" chargers/battery tenders are not so (smart.) One can tell if the battery is overcharged using the charger by loss of electrolyte. If you find the electrolyte low and have to fill up then your battery charger is "boiling off" the water in the electrolyte.

The owner of this installation (neighbor-not me) is into Boxter cars and keeps his collector car battery topped up with what he considers a high quality Mercedes brand battery tender.

On my attributing his sump pump short battery capacity to "low charge using the built in battery charger" he suggested we try the Mercedes unit on his sump pump. The result seems to have sufficient battery capacity for 8 hours of sump-pumping (well above what one would expect) BUT the high end charger "boils off" his electrolyte over a period of 5 or 6 months requiring a top-off. (automated, the system gives alarm on low electrolyte.)

I suggested adding a timer to turn the charger on perhaps 20 minutes a day.

We're doing this now - I don't have a result on either battery capacity or boiling down yet.

Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 11-19-2019 at 10:02 AM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 10:35 AM   #18
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe K View Post
The result seems to have sufficient battery capacity for 8 hours of sump-pumping (well above what one would expect) BUT the high end charger "boils off" his electrolyte over a period of 5 or 6 months requiring a top-off. (automated, the system gives alarm on low electrolyte.)

I suggested adding a timer to turn the charger on perhaps 20 minutes a day.
What you're describing, and what others have alluded to, is a function called float voltage. Good chargers need to reduce the voltage being sent to the battery when it's fully charged. The proper long-term voltage varies by both battery type and ambient temperature. If the voltage is too high, the battery dries out. This is a common problem with UPS (uninterruptible power supply) batteries. Some vendors' batteries wear out after two years because their float voltage doesn't adjust for how warm those batteries can get.

Many "smart" charging solutions go through a set of programmed steps. For example, the Mercedes charger does this:
  1. Charge at 3.6A until detected battery voltage reaches 14.4V
  2. Gradually reduce amperage to 0.4A
  3. At 0.4A, shut off and monitor battery voltage
  4. When battery voltage drops to 12.7V, repeat cycle

If your sump pump battery isn't playing by the charger's rules (for example, if it never gets to 14.4V or if it drops quickly to 12.7V), then the charger will spend too much time in full-charge mode and it'll boil off the electrolyte.

Bottom line: Smart chargers can be good or bad for long-term charging depending on how the battery being charged reacts to the charger's float voltage or intermittent charging cycle. You should read your charger's manual to understand what it's actually doing and make sure your battery is compatible.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote