Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-20-2018, 04:38 PM   #1
bucket-o-rust

Default Sector two tooth shaft

I have what I think is a new old stock two tooth steerig sector shaft but it is not stamped with the ford letters anywhere. Did ford make parts that were not stamped with the ford leters? Is there any way to know for sure if I have a new old stock part?
bucket-o-rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 04:49 PM   #2
100IH

Default Re: Sector two tooth shaft

The Ford logo came and went and came again. Had to do with US laws and foreign importation laws. Either way just use it and see how it does. There were so many aftermarket parts over the years, some good and some not so good, all without the logo.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 05:39 PM   #3
rocket1

I have a nos sector that I picked up in the early 60's,it is not stamped,years ago there were many nos A parts available whether they are good quality or not remains to be seen.
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:32 PM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucket-o-rust View Post
I have what I think is a new old stock two tooth steerig sector shaft but it is not stamped with the ford letters anywhere. Did ford make parts that were not stamped with the ford leters? Is there any way to know for sure if I have a new old stock part?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket1 View Post
I have a nos sector that I picked up in the early 60's,it is not stamped,years ago there were many nos A parts available whether they are good quality or not remains to be seen.

There is a term that has not been used much in recent years that likely describes what you are suggesting. Instead of NOS (New Obsolete Stock), there was NORS which stood for New Obsolete Replacement Stock. Even the 'O' in NOS has been changed in the last few decades from Obsolete to Old however the original term was used by the depots to describe new parts that were no longer manufactured (i.e.: obsolete). During the same time as when the factory was manufacturing parts, there were other companies that manufactured similar parts such as ignition points, water pumps, universal joints, fenders, etc., etc. These items were replacement parts that were sold thru stores such as Western Auto, Sears Roebuck, and non-Ford garages and parts stores. This was known as Replacement parts. As time moved along, many stores would have replacement parts that were basically obsolete (the warehouse no longer carried that item for distribution). Those items became known as NORS.

Ironically, back in the early 1960's my father was good friends with a young man named Tommy Trailor who traveled all over Texas and surrounding states going to old Ford dealers, and to old parts stores asking if they had old obsolete parts in their attics or store rooms. Often times they would buy one or two full pick-up loads of Model-A parts from these places. Dad would generally get the pick of what he needed for helping Tommy, -and Tommy would sell those parts at swap meets and thru mail order. As Tommy's hobby business grew, he started a company called Specialized Auto Parts which later became Macs and now Ecklers.

Another bit of trivia. Generally during that time, pieces that came from a Ford dealer and had the original Ford tag on them were sold as NOS, and the other parts were sold as NORS. Back then, you were considered as a crook if you were trying to pass-off a NORS fender as a NOS fender. Somewhere along the way, the scruples left the hobby, and many fenders that were/are sold as NOS are actually nothing more NORS fenders that were manufactured by companies such as Detroit Body or Fostoria. That is why many of those 'NOS" items do not fit well. The same applies to mechanical parts too.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg detroitbodydie.jpg (56.2 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg FostoriaFenderDieCompany.jpg (152.5 KB, 73 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 06:53 PM   #5
Pmsqrd

Brent,

Great story and pictures. Your story brought back memories of NOS searches in the NorCal area and Canada that my friends and I conducted in the early 70's. We mostly were after early V8 stuff and did not see much in the Model A realm.
Pmsqrd is offline   Reply With Quote