Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-04-2018, 01:36 PM   #1
Kurt in NJ

Default Stuck clutch -- unstuck

Wanted to go out for a drive, found the clutch stuck, tried driving with clutch down, on- off gas, making car buck, tried for a while, still stuck, found that I could shift without clashing, so I went for the drive-starter would kick it off in gear from a stop (how long would the starter put up with that?) ---- so I thought about it, looking in I could see the disc wasn't stuck on the pressure plate--- so I thought I could drill a hole and pull the disc loose---- then I found this pre existing hole, 5/16 fine tap fit, used bottoming tap set, tied a string to the tap, and threaded stud to prevent drama, grabbed the stud with vice grips and with one hand pushed the clutch pedal, using the vice grips for leverage I felt the disc peel away from the flywheel, then working the pedal I could feel the disc moving --- now clutch is fine, figured I would share another possible method for freeing up a stuck clutch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1795.jpg (49.6 KB, 331 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1796.jpg (87.8 KB, 329 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1797.jpg (51.6 KB, 332 views)
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 02:54 PM   #2
Patrick L.

Default Re: Stuck clutch -- unstuck

Hmmm, nice. Good idea. Thanks
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 03:42 PM   #3
Synchro909

Lucky you had that hole. I'll put some in my tool kit.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:41 PM   #4
Gene F

Ok, so how far in did you run the tap? The vise grips - moved forward and aft? Looks like a little block of wood in the opening behind the vice-grips might be desirable????
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:42 PM   #5
Gene F

The string is in case you dropped the tap, right?
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:56 PM   #6
Chris Haynes

I would put my front bumper against something solid, hold the pedal in with the transmission in high, and hit the starter with the key off.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:55 AM   #7
Dodge

I have put the rear end on jack stands with tires just barely off the ground, started it up and revved up the motor a bit then pushed in the clutch jammed on the brakes and pulled the emergency brake on all at the same time. It only failed once when the owner had soaked the disc in so much Penatrating oil it softened the disc so much it tore the disc apart.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:41 AM   #8
Kurt in NJ

I had already tried all of the abusive methods, drove over 20 miles, tried again, tried again a week later, normally the next step was diss assembly, I had collected long drills, slide hammer --- then I found the factory hole
I tied thread to the taps, and the stud, didn't want the drama of chasing something that fell into the hole
I used 3 taps, it is a bottoming set, first one looks normal, second has full threads after 2 turns, third has full threads after 1/2 turn, there is about 1/16 space behind the hole
Old 11-05-2018, 08:57 PM   #9
Bud

It appears you have a clutch plate where the springs are not captured. The springs in the picture can get dislodged and jam the clutch. This topic has been discussed on Fordbarn. Look at the disc pictured on Bratton's site and compare it to your photo.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 07:45 AM   #10
Kurt in NJ

Its actually an original Ford disc, has script on the linings, I put it in used 45 years ago, there are no signs of wear around the spring pockets ---probably the "GYP" ones have thinner lower quality metal
Old 09-28-2020, 05:43 AM   #11
Mike Peters

Clutch was stuck on a 31 fordor I am reviving after a 10 year hibernation. Got it running, started engine in first gear and drove it around the yard, fast, slow, would not break loose.
I could get a punch against the clutch hub, and with clutch pedal depressed with a tool I have, (second photo), I rapped the puch a few times and could feel clutch plate move. With pedal still depressed, I put the car in gear, I could now rock car back and forth. Started engine and tried clutch. Now works normally.
Soooo.....Clutch disk must have been stuck to the pressure plate? Thank you to Kurt for making me think about moving the disc while transmission still in car. Saved me alot of work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-P1150984.jpg (65.1 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg 2-P1150985.jpg (66.8 KB, 95 views)
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 10:41 AM   #12
katy

What causes a clutch to stick? In the last 65 years of working on cars the only stuck clutch I've ever ran across was in a Model T. I've had/seen slipping clutches but non that stuck.
Old 09-28-2020, 12:13 PM   #13
Mike Peters

What causes a clutch to stick? In the last 65 years of working on cars the only stuck clutch I've ever ran across was in a Model T. I've had/seen slipping clutches but non that stuck.
Old 09-28-2020, 12:54 PM   #14
Ak Sourdough

Friction material on a clutch disc is generally an organic material of some sort that will absorb a little moisture over time. Doesn't take much rust to stick it to one or both sides.
Old 09-29-2020, 01:57 AM   #15
john charlton

Some years back my cabriolet had a stuck clutch,it had overwintered in a friends damp barn . I tried every thing in the book but no go . So I pulled the rear end as I could see there was no other way . When I removed the pressure plate the disc was stuck to the flywheel . To my surprise it popped off very easily with just my finger tips . Later another car had a stuck clutch, damp cold English weather . Tried all known remedies short of wringing off a half shaft to no avail again . So I got to thinking it is most likely stuck to the flywheel as before and was not "rusted on" . So I had a good look with a flash light and at a certain angle I could see part of the disc . I held the clutch pedal down with a piece of wood and engaged the disc with a long screwdriver and gave it a few fairly hefty bops and sure enough the disc unstuck . I was truly very pleased with myself why had I not thought of this before ??? .A friend tried this and it worked for him too . The discs in these cars have the original "spoked" style discs I never ever have any judder and they work just fine . I would not fit the sprung type if I have an old style one to hand . If I have to fit the new style it must have the captured springs and made in USA or EU/UK . If I put a car into long term storage I push the clutch pedal down with a piece of wood .

John in GOOD GRIEF its stopped raining (but not for long) Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 04:48 AM   #16
john charlton

Got to thinking this works well with the original disc as you engage the screwdriver tip with the edge of one of the six spokes .This might not work as well with a sprung disc but certainly worth a try .

John in its raining again Suffolk County England.

Last edited by john charlton; 09-29-2020 at 04:57 AM.
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote