Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-29-2015, 06:59 PM   #1
modela4shane

Smile 1928 -29 roadster windshield frame. PROBLEM

Any one have a solution for a roadster wind shield that blows in while driving. Maybe a picture of a bracket or tab used behind the dash rail to limit its travel? This car is equipped with a Cragar- Miller overhead,so driving slower is hard to do. Car runs real nice on the freeway at 65 MPH with traffic. Windshield blows back violently at this speed. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
modela4shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 07:29 PM   #2
glenn in camino

Default Re: 1928 -29 roadster windshield frame. PROBLEM

I once had a 29 phaeton that had the same problem, especially in the rain that made the windshield rubber slippery. I made a sheet metal piece that went between the windshield frame and the dash to keep the windshield from slipping in, and dumping rain water in my lap.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:02 PM   #3
SteveB31

The reason this is happening is the cone on the sides of your windshield frame that holds the windshield frame into the cups in the windshield posts are not the same taper. When those two parts are made the same, that friction tapered fit will hold the windshield frame tight at speed. Spend a few minutes and take the cones off, and mark them up with a sharpy marker. Put the whole windshield frame back together and move the frame back and forth. Take is all back apart and see where the sharpy marker is gone, then sand off the high spots on the cone (much like fitting brake shoe lining to the brake drum). Repeat until it the cone fits perfectly in the cup , and the windshield will stay in place.
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 11:54 PM   #4
norcalal

The repo windshield posts and frames are not correct. The bottom of the w/s frame sits up too high from the cowl, causing the w/s bottom rubber not to hold the w/s in its upright position. Get some thin and narrow black rubber body side molding that is rolled up from a body shop so you don't have to buy a whole roll. It is self adhesive. Pull the backing off, and place right where the lower windshield frame rubber meets the cowl. In a sense you are raising the cowl so the windshield wont come flying back and hit your knuckles while you are trying to steer. Only visible if you pivot the w/s forward!! Same for 30-31.
norcalal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 02:38 AM   #5
pooch

I fitted a small metal dowel inside each lower stanchion to stop screen blowing in.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 07:35 AM   #6
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post
I fitted a small metal dowel inside each lower stanchion to stop screen blowing in.
any chance you could post a photo of that?

I read once that at a certain speed, a car expends more energy combating wind resistance than it does propelling the weight of the car.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 07:43 AM   #7
ericr

ps has anyone ever seen how competitive cars in the same price range (Chevrolet, Dodge Brothers) handled this issue?
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:16 AM   #8
2manycars

I made a clip that fit over the side curtain stud and went between the post and the windshield frame, and curved around the inside of the frame to prevent it from blowing in.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:42 AM   #9
Vern

This small clip is made from stainless scrap, bent in a vise with a hole drilled thru mounted behind the wind wing bolt, one at each side

Last edited by Vern; 05-30-2020 at 08:10 PM.
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 03:37 PM   #10
pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
any chance you could post a photo of that?

I read once that at a certain speed, a car expends more energy combating wind resistance than it does propelling the weight of the car.
Can't. am off doing a round of swap meets for next 3 weeks.

Besides my lower stanchions are fabricated, as I am running 30 fold down posts on my 28.

Having thought about original screen/posts, how about putting a dowel under the screen behind the rubber so it shuts on dash/gutter rail.

Would not be seen from inside, and rubber would cover the front.

My "dowel" was just a stainless screw with head cut off and a piece of rubber tube over it about 1/2 inch long.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 07:26 PM   #11
29FordRoadster

I had this problem with my 29 roadster many years ago and Snyders suggested I use the lower windshield gasket for the Model T which is a little wider. I don't drive at your speeds, but this has worked well for me.
29FordRoadster is offline   Reply With Quote