Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-30-2020, 04:44 PM   #21
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Marvel Mystery Oil

Marvel Mystery Oil will have a detergent effect when added to the crankcase oil .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 05:30 PM   #22
Aarongriffey

In 2006 I was involved with movie cars in a movie.
One car was a 1922 Maxwell that had just had a valve job with all new valves and guides.
Every time the engine got really warmed up one valve would stay open.
The tapped cover on the side of the flathead four came off easily so I would get in there and pry the valve closed and it would be okay until the engine warmed up again.
I fineally went to a parts store and got a can of Marvel Mysrey Oil.
I put some in the fuel, the gas tank was not full, and I put the rest in the oil.
It never stuck the valve again.
The young owner has since died so I don’t know what happen after he changed oil or refilled the fuel tank.
I think two cycle oil or ATF may have also cured the problem. Or snake oil.
Aarongriffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 06:19 PM   #23
Synchro909

What size containers does this stuff come in? Likewise seafoam. I want to check with my shipping agent to see how we go getting something like that into the country but it would have to be a decent quantity to make the 5 months wait worth while. I suspect there would be all sorts of bureaucratic BS simply because it has the word "oil" in the name and must therefore be flammable.
Old 08-30-2020, 06:26 PM   #24
Synchro909

Wow, I just checked out Moreys upper cylinder oil. They make the same claims as you guys say MMO does but they recommend a mixing ratio of 650:1. That would mean about 6 ml in a tank. That is about a quarter of an ounce per tank.
Old 08-30-2020, 06:40 PM   #25
Tom Endy

Fifty years ago I bought this little motorcycle for my daughter who was seven then. It has a one-horse Briggs & Stratton engine. She rode it all over the place until she was eleven when I bought her a bigger motorcycle. The little motorcycle was put away and has not been started in 40 years. We recently started cleaning it up for the grandkids. I took the engine out of the frame to do some repairs to the frame. Today was the first time we tried to start the engine. It started right up, but sounded a little noisy and did not run as smooth as I remember. Todays posts on fordbarn about MM gave me the idea and I added a shot of MM to the gas tank and it seemed to quiet down and run smoother.

Tom Endy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1322.jpg (75.3 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Jackie new motorcycle bike.jpg (66.6 KB, 46 views)
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 07:25 PM   #26
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
What size containers does this stuff come in? Likewise seafoam. I want to check with my shipping agent to see how we go getting something like that into the country but it would have to be a decent quantity to make the 5 months wait worth while. I suspect there would be all sorts of bureaucratic BS simply because it has the word "oil" in the name and must therefore be flammable.

16 ounces or a gallon.

Marvel Mystery Oil MM12R - 16 Fl Oz. (Pack of 2) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0725JQX..._ynetFbB72B1JM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 09:30 PM   #27
30 Closed Cab PU

Think I read somewhere it was Banned in some countries either because of shipping whats in it, or the receiving country had outlawed an ingredient - sorry my recollection is real fuzzy.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 09:36 PM   #28
30 Closed Cab PU

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ned+mmo&page=4

Start at post 66
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 10:28 PM   #29
Synchro909

It puzzles me how it can be banned for an ingredient if they are a MYSTERY!
A little research has told me that the sale Oil of Wintergreen is strongly restricted here so that night be why we don't have it. That said, I believe it is sometimes available under restricted circumstances in the aviation industry at absurd prices. I guess it is off the table.
Old 08-31-2020, 04:59 AM   #30
SAJ

Synchro, wintergreen oil is the common name for methyl salicylate. It is a cousin of aspirin ( acetyl salicylic acid) chemically, with many similar anti inflammatory properties. It is a flavouring ingredient of some drinks such as sarsparilla, available freely from suppliers of perfumes and flavours as the pure chemical.
It is found as a wetting or creep agent in many metal lubricant and protection sprays, including one I used to make and market.
Where did you see it is banned or limited?
Finally it can be used to soften old rubber. We used to put go-cart tyres in an old milk churn, put in a cup of methyl salicylate and the vapours would, over a couple of weeks, perfuse into the tyres and make them softer stickier and more grippy. The club outlawed this method when they found out what was happening I believe.
Altogether a magic compound in many ways, found in nature in many plants as are other wonderful essential oils such as eucalyptus and camphor.
Aspirin was first extracted from willow bark.
After writing this looked up the SDS of MMO and it contains di-chlorobenzene isomers. These are carcinogenic and more likely the controlled imports. Wintergreen oil is not in the SDS I saw.
SAJ in NZ

Last edited by SAJ; 08-31-2020 at 05:10 AM. Reason: added material
SAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 05:13 AM   #31
SAJ

I see now Mike K gave a much more complete comment than I have a while ago in another thread.
Apologies to Mike.
SAJ in NZ
SAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 05:31 AM   #32
Werner

In some countries MMO is not allowed to be sold because it contains dangerous substances. It is the same in Germany now. (I order this in the Netherlands, he'll send it to my friend in Belgium and I'll pick it up from him ...)

But there is a good substitute: Take Liquy Moly "Valve Clean" # 1014. I think this is available in Australia / NS. Add to this 50% ester oil for two-stroke engines. Ester oils are very temperature stable with hardly any combustion residues and are therefore particularly suitable for top lubrication. LM ensures that the inside of the motor stays clean.

Warning: This mix is ​​only suitable for the tank, not for the engine oil!

Ford Model A, Roadster, 1928
Citroen 11 CV, 1947
Hercules W 2000, 1976; (with NSU-Wankel Rotary Engine), Canadian version
Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 08:22 PM   #33
Dirtrack49

I have used MMO in many engines with good results.
Had a Cessna 120 with a Continental 85hp engine that would stick a valve in the winter cold of the high desert. I use to use what was referred to as the rope trick to get the valve to close. However, after switching from MMO to Rieslone, I never had to use the rope trick again.
By the bye, the rope trick was to shove a rope into the bad cylinders spark hole and bring the prop up to force the arrant valve to close.

Tom L.
Dirtrack49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 07:34 PM   #34
Terry, NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
It puzzles me how it can be banned for an ingredient if they are a MYSTERY!
A little research has told me that the sale Oil of Wintergreen is strongly restricted here so that night be why we don't have it. That said, I believe it is sometimes available under restricted circumstances in the aviation industry at absurd prices. I guess it is off the table.
It ain't a mystery any longer! Chemists have broken it down a long time ago! But it started in 1923 when the ingredients were a mystery. I'm assuming it didn't change much since then.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 09:58 PM   #35
Chuck Sea/Tac

As far as the benefits of mmo go, I was lame and blind until I started using mmo. Now I’ like a new man!!!! And it didn’t hurt the A any either!!!
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote