Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-15-2016, 01:12 PM   #1
supergnat

Default Passenger rear radius rod will not line-up

I finally finished my brake rebuild after about 7 months. I used the suggestion to remove the rear radius rods to work on the backing plates on my workbench. I finally finished and remounted the backing plates on the car. The backing plate assy and radius rod on the driver side went back on without a hitch. I installed the driver side backing plate but cannot get the radius rod to line up at the drive shaft end. The car is being supported by jack stands under the frame for the rear and under the front axle at the front. This is what I have tried:

1. Loosened the four rear backing plate radius rod bolts (two on each side). Nothing changed

2. Lifted the rear axle on each side separately ( lifting the passenger side helped a little but not enough). Lifting the driver side made the misalignment worse.

3. Lifted the rear of the car at the center of differential housing with a floor jack until the car was no longer touching the rear jack stands. The result was the same as lifting the passenger side only as mentioned in attempt 2 above.

I don't know what else to try that would not risk pulling the car completely off the jack stands. There doesn't seem to be any place to pry the radius rod back toward the rear of the car so I can get the bolt through. NOTE: I definitely did not mix-up the radius rods and try to mount them upside down.

I have attached a photo of the misalignment. At best the passenger radius is about 1/8 inch too forward on the car to get the bolt through. Sorry for all the words but I am trying to cover everything.

I have also read the treads I could find related to this problem.
Thanks,
Supergnat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0799.jpg (75.4 KB, 204 views)
supergnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 01:40 PM   #2
larrys40

Default Re: Passenger rear radius rod will not line-up

Here's my suggestion. You have two options.
1. use a large line up punch on the front large bolt and give it some torque to align the whole while using a hammer to help push the bolt in ( if you already have the back altogether)... or

2. remove all rear bolts ( and temporarily backing plate) and attach at the front and then use a line up punch to torque the radius rod forward while slipping in one bolt. Usually one will be enough to do it and then the other goes easily.

It's not necessary or easier for that matter for the radius rods/bolts to be removed when servicing the brakes... although if you wish my druthers is always to reattach at the rear.. not the front. If you force the brace lever forward against the cam you can easily slide the brake lever through the opening in the radius rod to housing. I know many folks look at that cross-eyed and say it can't be done buy it can... have done more than I can count.

should be an easy fix... hoping it really is for you.
Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 02:44 PM   #3
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Rich
What larry said on the large line up punch method... back the bolt out some and try maneuvering it using the punch, large screw rodger etc. your very close just a hair off so i think youll get it... other options are to try and screw it in many times the bolt threads will pull it. If you were not trying to preserve the bolt install the nut , grind the end of the bolt to a point Then remove the nut and run the bolt in...
I think youll get it without loosenng anything in the back up. The pressure of the transverse leaf is causing it to be that little bit off.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 02:48 PM   #4
wmws
BANNED

You might try using a come along on the opposite side around the axle and put a little pressure on it. It may just pull the other side back far enough to get the bolt in. Don't bend anything just a little pressure.
wmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 02:58 PM   #5
supergnat

Larry and Mitch, Thanks for the responses. I tried Larry's suggestion with a slight modification. I was not comfortable with hitting th bolt head with a hammer. Here is what I did. I supported both radius rods with heavy wire in the drive shaft area and completely removed the bolt in the front location. I removed only the tie rod bolts only at the backing plate. The othe backing plate bolts were still tight. I then reinserted the front rod bolt through both radius rods and hand snugged the nut. Lhen used Larry's idea with a long steel rod slightly smaller in diameter than the rod bolt to pry the radius rod forward. I was then able to insert the longer rod bolt throug the radius rod and backing plate. As Larry predicted the other bolt was easi to install.

PROBLEM RESOLVED.

Larry and Mitch thanks for much for your help. The Ford Barn and its members saved the day again.

Have a great Holiday Season.
Supergnat
Old 12-15-2016, 03:00 PM   #6
supergnat

Thanks WMWS for your response too. I was busy typing when you posted.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:36 PM   #7
larrys40

Supergnat
Appreciate the follow up and glad you got it worked out.
Wish we heard more like yours.
Mitch had a good tip on be beveling the edge if the bolt. Keep that in your trick bag If ever needed . You can run a die or thread chaser in first before the bevel to clean up the threads before use.

All the best!
Larry
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:27 PM   #8
blaneys98

I had the same problem, but both rods were about the same amount forward. Found this thread and it helped a lot. I removed the 2 bolts from the brake backing plate on the driver’s side so I could get the bolt through the top of that rod and started through the torque tube. To line up the drivers side, I left it attached at the brakes. I used 3 ratchet straps between the torque tube and the radius rod each about a foot apart. This put a gentle bend in the rod without kinking it and pulled the hole closer to where it bolts up. I used a large tapered punch from Harbor Freight to get it lined up and tightened the ratchet straps to keep it in place. It took a little while to get it to line up and a hammer to finally get the bolt through, but it worked. I then tighten the bolt and nut.

This still left the rear of the passenger side rod to be bolted up. After reading this thread, I once again used a long tapered punch to try to line one whole and get a bolt into the other. I could not get it close enough. So I ground a 4 inch bolt to a point and removed all the threads, but left the bolt shoulder similar to the backing plate bolt. Using the tapered punch for alignment, I was able to hammer this modified bolt through the rod and backing plate holes. The shoulder on the modified bolt forced everything into alignment. I then removed the tapered punch and was able to get a good bolt through that rod and backing plate hole with a few taps from a hammer. I tightened a nut on this good bolt to hold everything in place. Next, I removed the modified bolt (needed a hammer) and tapped another good bolt into that hole. Tightened the nut on that bolt and was done.

Thanks again to every who posted on this thread. You saved me hours of frustration.
blaneys98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:52 PM   #9
Railcarmover
BANNED

Loosen the rear spring u bolts.you want the rear radius rods to set the rear axle alignment,right now the rear spring to frame mount is basically doing it.loosen the ubolts,set the radius rods,then tightsn the ubolts
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 09:09 AM   #10
jw hash

install the front bolt first, but leave the nut loose. then using an alignment bar through the backing plate line up one bolt hole install the bolt and nut then install the other bolt. I don`t why it is but most of them do not line up.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote