Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-25-2016, 01:44 PM   #1
mikhett

Default 62 ford starter solenoid ??????

What will happen if the small wire terminals S and I are crossed(mis wired)? what would the symptoms be? Thanks
mikhett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 03:55 PM   #2
V8 Bob

Default Re: 62 ford starter solenoid ??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikhett View Post
What will happen if the small wire terminals S and I are crossed(mis wired)? what would the symptoms be? Thanks
The engine will start cranking when the ignition is switched to the on position.
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 06:32 PM   #3
mikhett

There is only ONE wire on the I term .It comes from the C term on the ignition switch.How does the coil get 12 if it doesn't pick it up off theI term at the starter solenoid? I know there is a wire that branches off like a Y after going thru the pink resistance wire that goes to the coil but that voltage is reduced to 9 volts so as to not burn up the points.IM CONFUSED!
Old 06-25-2016, 09:41 PM   #4
dmsfrr

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Bob View Post
The engine will start cranking when the ignition is switched to the on position.
The other end of the 'I' wire is connected directly to the '+' side of the coil, after the ign resistor and will have approx 9 volts on it at it's solenoid end when the key switch is in the 'run' position.
If the 'I' wire were mis-placed on the 'S' terminal of the solenoid and the ign key turned to the 'run' position it could/would energize the solenoid & starter, the engine would run and the starter would spin until the key was turned off.

Automatic transmission? The neutral safety switch would be bypassed as a result of the incorrect solenoid wiring, and ineffective.

If the approx 9v ignition 'run' voltage is insufficient to energize the solenoid it would not click, or operate the starter.
Turning the ign key to the 'start' position would also not energize the starter solenoid as the 12v power from the key switch (and NSS) on the correct 'S' wire would be mistakenly on the 'I' terminal and not connected to the electromagnet coil inside the solenoid (via the 'S' terminal).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Solenoid - 4 Terminal Wiring.jpg (178.5 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 06-27-2016 at 03:26 PM. Reason: add photo
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 11:46 PM   #5
dmsfrr

Quote:
There is only ONE wire on the I term .It comes from the C term on the ignition switch.How does the coil get 12 if it doesn't pick it up off theI term at the starter solenoid? I know there is a wire that branches off like a Y after going thru the pink resistance wire that goes to the coil but that voltage is reduced to 9 volts so as to not burn up the points.IM CONFUSED!
The 'run' position of the Ign key switch sends 12v power to the ballast resistor (or resistance wire) which then feeds the '+' side of the coil with 9v.
The 'start' position of the ign key switch sends 12v power thru the NSS if the car is an automatic, to the 'S' terminal on the solenoid. This energizes the solenoid, the starter, and the 'I' terminal on the solenoid with 12v.

The other end of the wire on the 'I' terminal of the solenoid takes that 12v to a connection for the '+' side of the coil for starting. This connection can be a second wire on the '+' ign coil terminal, or the Y connection you're seeing on the ign coil side of your resistance wire / ballast resistor.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 06-27-2016 at 03:05 PM.
Old 06-26-2016, 01:43 PM   #6
mikhett

THANKS!MR DMSFRR!YOU CERTAINLY cleared that up.
Old 06-26-2016, 05:42 PM   #7
dmsfrr

Quote:
THANKS!MR DMSFRR!YOU CERTAINLY cleared that up.
My '55 was mostly converted to 12v by a previous owner, but missing the NSS, ballast resistor and wiring to them. I got that fixed but haven't been able to finish the rebuilt engine installation, so I have to do something...