Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-05-2021, 04:46 PM   #1
Brian

Angry problem

Well, I feel a bit [a lot!!] stupid....I've just assembled and fitted a Columbia into my car. I set the preload on the side bearings without the pinion fitted, in order to more accurately gauge a heavy drag, settled on .009 gasket one side, .005 on other. Fitted the pinion, set the preload; holding the pinion in the vise, spin the banjo as hard and fast as I can; it does just under one spin...That's how i always set them, assembled and had .004 backlash at pinion [Ford calls for between .003-.008]
Installed axle into the car. Upon turning a brake drum, it is heavy to turn, and the other drum rotates in the SAME direction. If I lock up one drum, there is still considerable effort required to turn the other drum.
In Columbia's, there is a brass shim fitted behind each axle gear, also behind each spider. I replaced all of those during the build with new items. I'm thinking I've got insufficient clearance within this area. There should be a degree of backlash present within the spider gear assembly...I've come to this conclusion, because, normally, upon turning one axle, the other turns in the opposite direction on account of the spiders.
ARGHHH
What say you experts?
Old 10-05-2021, 06:47 PM   #2
Mart

Default Re: problem

(Not an expert on columbias)
Ignoring the fact that it is a columbia it would be reasonable to assume the problem is in the diff gears and spider gears. Too tight and not able to turn. Might be wrong but this ought to be completely independent of the side bearings and pinion preload.
It sounds like you need to tear it down and investigate or do you think it will loosen up once it has a few miles on it?
Parting thought: Mismatched spider/axle tooth count?
Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 07:08 PM   #3
Brian

Thanks Mart, you've confirmed what I thought...no mismatch of tooth count on axles/spiders. Obviously, because I'm allergic to hard work I don't really want to pull it out and all apart again...I too wondered if it would free up a bit after going around a few corners and bedding in the axles to the brass shims, but then I got to thinking about the ends of the axles being up hard against the cross; hardened steel on hardened steel. Good recipe for calamity..
Old 10-05-2021, 07:12 PM   #4
Brian

The only new parts in this particular part of the assembly are the shims [bought off of Connelly- the Columbia man], and one nos genuine Ford axle supplied by a great fellow barner. Should be right; obviously this is what happens when one assumes!!
Old 10-05-2021, 07:17 PM   #5
Mart

Try making a judgement of how tight it is with the trans in gear so the driveshaft does not turn, and wheels fitted so you have better leverage. If only a little tight, it might be ok. if really tight then get out and get under.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 08:35 PM   #6
Brian

Thanks Mart...I appreciate having someone elses thoughts on the matter....sometimes it gets so I sorta form a mental block....I put it in gear and the wheels actually do spin in opposite directions, so the spiders are working. In neutral, both wheels turn in same direction. I think I'll run it for a while, hopefully I'll not cause any damage. It can only free up or blow up eh? Thanks again, Brian
Old 10-05-2021, 09:42 PM   #7
Lawrie

Brian , I assembled three Columbias in the last year or so, there is a hard way and an easy way to set the preloads and assemble the thing, I set the carrier preload with out the pinion or axles in, then set the pinion preload in the centre housing ,then do a trial assy withoutt the axles set the backlash ,AND check tooth pattern if using NON ford manufactured gears,
then take it apart and fit the axles, you have to be careful those shim waster things dont come out of the slots in the spider housings.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote