Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-01-2015, 09:38 AM   #1
mikhett

Default 56 292 no crank pt 4

I drained the oil today as to remove pan and loosen main bearing caps (as per OLE DON) and water came out of the pan.I will let drain overnight thenremove pan.I guess my car cover is not WATERPROOF!For 225.00 you think it would be!
mikhett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:59 AM   #2
dmsfrr

Default Re: 56 292 no crank pt 4

Try to figure out how water got in the engine. Are the hood and carburetor off of it and rain water got in thru the intake manifold? Is the intake manifold off?
If it's coolant is the block or a head cracked?
My guess is you'll be pulling the engine out of the car pretty soon.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:54 AM   #3
mikhett

I pulled hood off in may to do bodywork but pulled car cover over enging bay with air cleaner on.I should have covered air cleaner as I noticed water pooling on it.I pulled plugs and ran marvel mystery oil down cylinders. STARTER WOULDN'T CRANK ENGINE so I pulled starter but I can't turn it over via damper bolt either.
mikhett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:31 PM   #4
wellcraft17

Apparently rain water has drained down the intake manifold past some intake valves that were open and sat in the cylinders long enough for the rings to seize to the cylinders. Before pulling the oil pan I would remove the pan on the bottom of the bell housing, get a long pry bar, put it in the ring gear teeth and try and move the flywheel back and forth. If you can get the flywheel to move just a little it should free up the more you pry on the flywheel with the bar working it back and forth. If you get to the point where you have turned the engine over one full revolution reinstall the starter and crank the engine over with it until all the crap has been blown out of the cylinders. Make sure you have put some cheap oil back in the crankcase cause you will be flushing the engine with it and then draining it again. If you are really lucky there won't be any major damage.
wellcraft17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:43 PM   #5
Ole Don

I agree with Wellcraft. One more thing about half way through though, remove both rocker covers, and press down each valve with a hammer handle to make sure all the valves will move. If you believe in prayer, start now. It looks grim.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 01:23 PM   #6
wellcraft17

Ole Don is correct, there's always the possibility that an intake valve will hang up and not close all the way back on the seat due to the valve stem has rusted. If that would happen there is a possibility the push rod may fall off the rocker arm causing more issues.
wellcraft17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 10:23 AM   #7
scicala

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcraft17 View Post
Ole Don is correct, there's always the possibility that an intake valve will hang up and not close all the way back on the seat due to the valve stem has rusted. If that would happen there is a possibility the push rod may fall off the rocker arm causing more issues.

There is always at least one intake valve open when the engine is shut off. Doesn't have to be a stuck valve.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote