Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-05-2019, 07:41 PM   #1
thom

Default installing new valves

I have 8 new valves for our '21 Touring. What a pain to install! The engine has adjustable lifters that require three 3/8 wrenches to adjust. I have three wrenches and a feeler gauge but I only have two hands.
thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:53 PM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: installing new valves

You can do it, others have too. Don't try to over-think things, Put all those fingers (10) to work. Hint: The thumb and pinkie need to work independently. I like using LockTite blue to keep things in place until the next time.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 10:03 PM   #3
thom

Thanks, one problem I have is limited use and feeling in my left hand, especially the thumb as a result of almost cutting my thumb off a few months ago. Thankfully I am right handed but still need that left hand for some jobs. I think I will look into getting a clamp of some kind tomorrow, maybe something that will work better than my small long nose vice grip pliers to hold the lifters. Guess I'll hit Harbor Fright and see what they have.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:46 PM   #4
39portlander

Thom, If it was my vehicle I would contact my supplier and get the 2 wrench adjustable push rods Item# 3058 Lang's "as an example" use who ever you may. These are worth the effort to replace for "now" and "later" valve service.

Those three cheezy wrenches they sell are too soft and will likely round out on your third or fourth "try" when adjusting, with the two wrench adjustables you can use those nice chrome ignition wrenches we all have in that middle draw of the roll away

The two wrench adjustable's using Glen Chaffin's adjustment procedure in earlier posts is quick and easy. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

I might be in the minority here but installing my new cam and push rods and valves was actually a nice learning curve and fun. With out a Sioux valve stem grinder it can be a pain.

Last edited by 39portlander; 12-06-2019 at 07:52 PM.
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 09:05 AM   #5
Royce P

I like to use non - adjustable pushrods for several reasons. First, they are easier to adjust properly. Second, they never go out of adjustment. Third, they are significantly less expensive.

And I do have a Sioux valve / stem grinding machine. It's not necessary, you can do the job using a bench grinder or even a small belt sander. But the Sioux machine makes it so simple.
1917 Torpedo Runabout
Royce P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 11:16 AM   #6
rotorwrench

Grinding the stem has to be accurately ground to be square with the tappet or it will more rapidly wear to a wider clearance.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 09:50 PM   #7
thom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39portlander View Post
Thom, If it was my vehicle I would contact my supplier and get the 2 wrench adjustable push rods Item# 3058 Lang's "as an example" use who ever you may. These are worth the effort to replace for "now" and "later" valve service.

Those three cheezy wrenches they sell are too soft and will likely round out on your third or fourth "try" when adjusting, with the two wrench adjustables you can use those nice chrome ignition wrenches we all have in that middle draw of the roll away

The two wrench adjustable's using Glen Chaffin's adjustment procedure in earlier posts is quick and easy. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

I might be in the minority here but installing my new cam and push rods and valves was actually a nice learning curve and fun. With out a Sioux valve stem grinder it can be a pain.
I'm sure not going to change lifters. That would be a big job.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:52 PM   #8
thom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
Grinding the stem has to be accurately ground to be square with the tappet or it will more rapidly wear to a wider clearance.
That's why I took my valves to the machine shop to have them "cut".
Old 12-08-2019, 09:11 AM   #9
big job

Always a good side try doing V12 Lincoln LOL
big job is offline   Reply With Quote