Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-06-2019, 08:19 AM   #1
Tim Ayers

Default Engine teaser: Getting closer

I picked up the short block from Ronnie Roadster last Friday. One step closer to getting it fired up.

Here are the details:
-Factory relieved 59L block
-3 3/8" + .030" bore X 4" stroke
-1.6 intake and 1.5 hi-flow valves
-Potvin 3/8th cam
-Edelbrock Regular intake
-Two Stromberg 97's (thanks to Uncle Max)
-intake and exhaust ported
-windage tray added to pan
-Weber flywheel and Centerforce clutch & PP

I'll post a video once I get it fired up and running, in the meantime here are a few teaser picts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5191.JPG (132.9 KB, 247 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5192.JPG (134.2 KB, 218 views)
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 08:20 AM   #2
Ian1932

Default Re: Engine teaser: Getting closer

Cool!
Ian1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 08:31 AM   #3
19Fordy

Congrats! Keep us posted with lots more photos.
19Fordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:46 AM   #4
Bored&Stroked

That should be some fun! Looking forward to hearing it run . . . you'll like that Potvin cam - one of my favorites. Did you get it from Pete?

Just an FYI, that isn't an 'L' block in my mind . . . as everyone that I've seen has an actual 'L' cast into the bellhousing - just below the 59.

Now this doesn't make any difference in that I've never been able to find any consistent difference between any of the 59X larger bore blocks (with hands on sonic testing). I've seen factory relieved blocks 'Z' blocks, 'L' blocks, etc . . . I don't believe any are better than the others - as long as you found a good one without too much corrosion in the water jackets (causing the cylinder walls to be thinner).
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:48 AM   #5
Bored&Stroked

BTW - what do you think about the quality of the Cyclone heads? They sure look nice and I've never ran a set? I may have to chat with Kevin and pickup some . . .
Old 12-06-2019, 11:00 AM   #6
corvette8n

Looks great, who makes the cyclone heads, I guess I'll have to search the forum.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:22 AM   #7
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
BTW - what do you think about the quality of the Cyclone heads? They sure look nice and I've never ran a set? I may have to chat with Kevin and pickup some . . .

Hi Dale:

Well, they are cool for sure.

We had two issues we had with them:

1) The water holes had to be enlarged. They were really small and would have acting like washers keeping the hot water in the block.

2) One of the heads, I just noticed this the other day (of course it's already bolted down) has a bunch of casting flash right at the base of the neck.

It's bugging the hell out of me and will need to address it for I don't want it to break loose and be floating around in the cooling system.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:22 AM   #8
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvette8n View Post
Looks great, who makes the cyclone heads, I guess I'll have to search the forum.
Cyclone Kevin @ Cook's Machine in CA.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:28 AM   #9
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvette8n View Post
Cyclone Kevin @ Cook's Machine in CA.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:31 AM   #10
Tim Ayers

Quote:
That should be some fun! Looking forward to hearing it run . . . you'll like that Potvin cam - one of my favorites. Did you get it from Pete?

Just an FYI, that isn't an 'L' block in my mind . . . as everyone that I've seen has an actual 'L' cast into the bellhousing - just below the 59.

Now this doesn't make any difference in that I've never been able to find any consistent difference between any of the 59X larger bore blocks (with hands on sonic testing). I've seen factory relieved blocks 'Z' blocks, 'L' blocks, etc . . . I don't believe any are better than the others - as long as you found a good one without too much corrosion in the water jackets (causing the cylinder walls to be thinner).
Dale:

I didn't get it from Pete, but I wish I had. I got it from Bill Jenks @ Moon about 15 years ago.

It took quite of bit of work to get it timed right. Ronnie had to redrill and plug the timing gear to get it probably timed.

I got this block with it already @ 3 3/8". It was the fifth block I went through.

We were hoping +.010 would clean it up, but that was not the case. Regardless, sonic testing showed plenty of meat left even after going +.030"
Old 12-06-2019, 11:43 AM   #11
38bill

Are you going to keep the sliding weights on the clutch pressure plate? I contacted Centerforce and was told they were not needed at the rpm's that a flathead runs at. I felt that they may have clearance issues so I removed mine. They pop right off.
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:46 AM   #12
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38bill View Post
Are you going to keep the sliding weights on the clutch pressure plate? I contacted Centerforce and was told they were not needed at the rpm's that a flathead runs at. I felt that they may have clearance issues so I removed mine. They pop right off.
Not sure. I haven't gotten that far and may do the same for I can see them getting in the way.
Old 12-06-2019, 12:05 PM   #13
Ziggster

Very nice.
Ziggster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 07:57 PM   #14
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
Dale:

I didn't get it from Pete, but I wish I had. I got it from Bill Jenks @ Moon about 15 years ago.

It took quite of bit of work to get it timed right. Ronnie had to redrill and plug the timing gear to get it probably timed.

I got this block with it already @ 3 3/8". It was the fifth block I went through.

We were hoping +.010 would clean it up, but that was not the case. Regardless, sonic testing showed plenty of meat left even after going +.030"
One of the challenges today is finding the types of rings that I want to run - as I really like the 1.5, 1.5, 3.0mm ring sets. (Or other ring packages for 1.0, 1.2, 2.8mm, etc). We get much higher quality rings than the ole Hastings crap we used to run -- a lot less friction and more HP.

I just ordered a set of custom Ross pistons a week ago - all based on ring sizes. The block was already bored to 3 5/16 (3.3125), had to go to 85.5 mm rings, so we are boring it to 3.361 (giving us .005 to hand fit the ring package).

I have a 3 3/8 race block that needs to be bored - hopefully I can go to 86mm, which is 3.385 . . . we shall see!

The bottom line is that I'm ordering custom piston sizes - just so I can get the type of rings that I want to run. All part of the modern flathead game!
Old 12-06-2019, 09:10 PM   #15
Tim Ayers

Quote:
One of the challenges today is finding the types of rings that I want to run - as I really like the 1.5, 1.5, 3.0mm ring sets. (Or other ring packages for 1.0, 1.2, 2.8mm, etc). We get much higher quality rings than the ole Hastings crap we used to run -- a lot less friction and more HP.

I just ordered a set of custom Ross pistons a week ago - all based on ring sizes. The block was already bored to 3 5/16 (3.3125), had to go to 85.5 mm rings, so we are boring it to 3.361 (giving us .005 to hand fit the ring package).

I have a 3 3/8 race block that needs to be bored - hopefully I can go to 86mm, which is 3.385 . . . we shall see!

The bottom line is that I'm ordering custom piston sizes - just so I can get the type of rings that I want to run. All part of the modern flathead game!
I agree. Metric rings are the way to go. I was amazing how easily the motor can be turned over. I'll have to ask Ronnie to confirm the exact details, but originally Ross sent us the wrong-sized rings.

When they sent the replacement set of rings for the correct size, they were Total Seals but in a Ross branded box and were slightly different than Total Seals.

If I recall correctly, Ronnie said he's seen this type of ring before and they were the "good type". Thin, metric packs, but with a tapered face I believe. Meaning the oil ring land was 3.0 mm, but the face of the ring was not. It tapered down slightly to reduce the face of the ring. I hope I'm remembering this right.

Either way, we were happy since the bore is out so far, we wanted to try to reduce friction as much as possible to give this motor a long life. I hope to be able to pass it along to my boys without the need for a rebuild.

If I put enough miles on it to need one, there is still plenty of meat left for a .010+ clean up.

The old bores were so badly tapered that a .010+ pass didn't even come close to touching some portions of the bore.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:34 AM   #16
KiWinUS

Very nice Tim.Enjoy .
KiWinUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 10:32 AM   #17
RalphM

Looking good!
Love to hear it run, if my calculations are correct, that’s 292 cubic inches?
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 07:57 PM   #18
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphM View Post
Looking good!
Love to hear it run, if my calculations are correct, that’s 292 cubic inches?
Hi Ralph,

Yes, that's correct.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:15 AM   #19
Just Me

Hello and I like it. Been lurking on here for years and signed up a while back. First post for me. The intake? I just don't recall seeing one like that before?
Just Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 08:05 AM   #20
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Me View Post
Hello and I like it. Been lurking on here for years and signed up a while back. First post for me. The intake? I just don't recall seeing one like that before?
That is a very early style intake - either a Weiand or an Edelbrock. The Weiand would most likely be Pre-WWII, the Edelbrock they made after the war. The primary purpose of the "high risers" was so you could run a generator/fan in the stock location and not have to move it.

The other four manifolds that I know of like this (high rise) are the original Edelbrock Slingshot, Eddie Meyers (2 different ones), a Tattersfield and the Thickstun PM-7. All of these manifolds run quite well in a good street performance flathead, though are probably a bit under-carbed for a larger engine.