Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-31-2015, 01:18 PM   #1
Jeff/Illinois

Default Kinda old car related............

If you're heading out to the garage, and it's heated, and your furnace or boiler won't fire, try this check first. It's always the obvious stuff that gets you!

Had that situation here, newer type Heil high efficiency furnace, thought I'd fire it up and run it and see that all was ready as the cold weather is getting closer in NW Illinois. No go. Got the Fluke meter out started probing, scratching my head, finally called in professional help (brother-in-law a retired HVAC guy he's good!)

After he came over running a series of checks and all, he said 'Is your exhaust pipe clear outside??' Wife asked me the same thing last week and I forgot to check. I said 'I'll look'.

Well, there was a big old bee nest stuffed in the end and they weren't happy when we cut the end off and drug the nest out! Started the furnace up and she runs like a charm.

Brother-in-law told me that the pressure switch they put in as a safety feature is super sensitive to ANY restricted air flow.

Boy I learned a lesson I won't forget, more embarrassed than anything else

SO, check out that exhaust as regular maintenance you'll save yourself some grief and $$
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 06:35 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Kinda old car related............

Two weeks ago I came home from our Model A swap meet and the house was 75* instead of 65*. I turned the thermostat down, but an hour later it was still getting warmer, so I turned the furnace off and left it off for 3 days. I removed the thermostat cover and dusted it off inside, but saw nothing wrong. After three days the temp had dropped back to 62* so I turned the furnace back on, and it's been fine since. I don't have a clue what went wrong.

A couple years ago I was working on some Model A parts in the back yard and saw a squirrel run down the kitchen vent up on the roof, so I installed a screen and rain cap. The fly by night roofers my dad hired 15 years ago left it off.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 07:00 PM   #3
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Two weeks ago I came home from our Model A swap meet and the house was 75* instead of 65*. I turned the thermostat down, but an hour later it was still getting warmer, so I turned the furnace off and left it off for 3 days. I removed the thermostat cover and dusted it off inside, but saw nothing wrong. After three days the temp had dropped back to 62* so I turned the furnace back on, and it's been fine since. I don't have a clue what went wrong.

A couple years ago I was working on some Model A parts in the back yard and saw a squirrel run down the kitchen vent up on the roof, so I installed a screen and rain cap. The fly by night roofers my dad hired 15 years ago left it off.
maybe you were having hot flashes
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 07:06 PM   #4
billwill

Check the cold air return filter should cleaned or replacced often Better Luck
billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 07:57 PM   #5
Keith True

Tom,if you have forced hot water for heat then your flow check was hung up a little.The heat from the boiler overcame it,and allowed the water to thermosyphon,just like in the A.I have a small rental house that does it,I had to put an electric valve in it to stop it from circulating when no heat was called for.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 08:22 PM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

Yes, I have the same hot water furnace from when the house was built in 1952. I replaced the circulating pump coupling with a rubber I cut from a Model A tire. The 4 spring coupler kept wearing out. The thermostat is a simple mercury bulb Honeywell, and when it's warm enough the furnace kicks off, and the circulating pump stops at the same time, I'm sure.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 08:56 PM   #7
Keith True

The circulator is just a helper,like the A pump.The hot water will rush right through it,and after it runs through your house and cools off,it will drop back down to the boiler.After you shut it down for a little it may have settled down to normal.If the flow check is acting up,or being overcome by too hot of a boiler temp,that water will go around in circles day and night.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 11:15 PM   #8
Y-Blockhead

You guys talkin' furnaces already?? It's still 75°F outside at ~9:15 pm in SoCal. I can still hear the little hobgoblins out Trick or Treatin'.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 11:48 AM   #9
katy

Quote:
he thermostat is a simple mercury bulb Honeywell,
Quote:
I removed the thermostat cover and dusted it off inside
It's possible that dusting did the trick, time will tell.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:56 PM   #10
Alaska Jim

It is snowing as I type this now. 5:56 pm Alaska time
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 10:24 PM   #11
ian Simpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
If you're heading out to the garage, and it's heated, and your furnace or boiler won't fire, try this check first. It's always the obvious stuff that gets you!

Had that situation here, newer type Heil high efficiency furnace, thought I'd fire it up and run it and see that all was ready as the cold weather is getting closer in NW Illinois. No go. Got the Fluke meter out started probing, scratching my head, finally called in professional help (brother-in-law a retired HVAC guy he's good!)

After he came over running a series of checks and all, he said 'Is your exhaust pipe clear outside??' Wife asked me the same thing last week and I forgot to check. I said 'I'll look'.

Well, there was a big old bee nest stuffed in the end and they weren't happy when we cut the end off and drug the nest out! Started the furnace up and she runs like a charm.

Brother-in-law told me that the pressure switch they put in as a safety feature is super sensitive to ANY restricted air flow.

Boy I learned a lesson I won't forget, more embarrassed than anything else

SO, check out that exhaust as regular maintenance you'll save yourself some grief and $$
Me and she who must be obeyed had the same problem caused by wet snow clinging to the exhaust. It was still under warranty so it cost nothing.
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 10:28 PM   #12
ian Simpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
You guys talkin' furnaces already?? It's still 75°F outside at ~9:15 pm in SoCal. I can still hear the little hobgoblins out Trick or Treatin'.
it is 2C here with snow expected before midnight.
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote