Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-15-2015, 05:30 PM   #1
Alaska Jim

Default 4000 series Holley carb. jets.

Does anyone know if there is a source where one could buy an assortment of secondary jets for the 4000 series Holley "tea-Pot" 4bbl carbs? I suspect there may not be any, but it does not hurt to ask. have been trying to find some cores to strip parts from, but coming up empty up here in Alaska. seems most have been scraped out. hard to find much of anything Y-Block up here.-----Jim
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 05:48 PM   #2
scicala

Default Re: 4000 series Holley carb. jets.

Hi Jim,

Unfortunately they aren't available as a reproduction. You have to find NOS ones (super rare) or ones out of parts carbs. You can also drill if you need a larger size. If you need a smaller size you can drill out to press in a brass bushing that can be drilled to size. You need the right drills and should do it on a small high speed drill press to get it accurate and straight. I've done it by hand a little at a time with pin vises too.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 05:54 PM   #3
billwill

Try Fank Todd at 856 8816935 Better Luck
billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 06:27 PM   #4
Alaska Jim

Sal, The Lincoln carb I just got without the choke housing, I got to looking at it and compared to an exploded view and my other Lincoln and t-bird carb, the discharge nozzle assembly was installed upside-down. so I took it apart and reinstalled it. it was obvious that it had been apart several times. the reason I ask about the availability of the secondary jets is that when I checked the primary jets and the secondary jets, they were #60 for primary and #96 for secondary jets. I think this may be to "fat" for my 2x4 set up with straight linkage. still along way off, just trying to get a feel for what is out there for parts. I know jetting will depend on a variety of variables ranging from cam selection to type of trans, gear ratio and tire size , just to name a few of the obvious things. I was wondering if I cannot come up with the proper choke housing and the 2 or 3 missing choke linkage pieces , do you have cores, or spare parts on hand that you would be able to supply in a rebuild ? this will eventually be the two Lincoln ECU 9510 E carbs on an Edelbrock 257 manifold on a 312 bored either 40 or 60 over with C-4 behind it. Thanks everyone for you replies, sorry I got to rambling.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:34 PM   #5
paul2748

If Sal doesn't have any, try Mike Suter in PA 215-757-3678. He only works on 4000's as far as I know.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 08:45 PM   #6
Kahuna

What engine do you have?
Sorry, I just didn't read properly
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 12:31 AM   #7
Alaska Jim

Jim, eng. will be 312. Sent you a P.M.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:32 AM   #8
TedEaton

Jim. When needing smaller secondary jets for the Holley 4000 carbs, I simply solder up the existing holes and re-drill to the desired size. Using a 1/16" stamp set, I then re-stamp the new size on the hex portion of the jets. Here's the link that may help with some of the jet sizing.
http://www.eatonbalancing.com/blog/2...heads-part-ii/
Ted Eaton.
TedEaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 10:25 AM   #9
scicala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Jim View Post
Sal, The Lincoln carb I just got without the choke housing, I got to looking at it and compared to an exploded view and my other Lincoln and t-bird carb, the discharge nozzle assembly was installed upside-down. so I took it apart and reinstalled it. it was obvious that it had been apart several times. the reason I ask about the availability of the secondary jets is that when I checked the primary jets and the secondary jets, they were #60 for primary and #96 for secondary jets. I think this may be to "fat" for my 2x4 set up with straight linkage. still along way off, just trying to get a feel for what is out there for parts. I know jetting will depend on a variety of variables ranging from cam selection to type of trans, gear ratio and tire size , just to name a few of the obvious things. I was wondering if I cannot come up with the proper choke housing and the 2 or 3 missing choke linkage pieces , do you have cores, or spare parts on hand that you would be able to supply in a rebuild ? this will eventually be the two Lincoln ECU 9510 E carbs on an Edelbrock 257 manifold on a 312 bored either 40 or 60 over with C-4 behind it. Thanks everyone for you replies, sorry I got to rambling.

Jim,

I have some core carburetors for parts, but none with any good choke housings and no fast idle cams. I have a carb ('56 Ford) that has the lever and internal linkage on the throttle body to operate the choke plates.
I do have a complete and rebuildable '56 Lincoln ECU - 9510 - D (LIST 1094-3), but I do not want to part it out, and was planning on restoring it and selling. I could restore it for you, or sell it to you complete as is for much less $$.
As far as the #60 and 96 jets, those are what it came with originally. I know the 96's sound huge, but that's the way it was calibrated to run the Lincoln properly. I'm sure they are not too rich, and is probably because of have larger air bleeds on the secondary side and larger dia. venturi's. I still would start out with the original calibration and then see if more tuning is necessary.

If you are interested in the ECU - D carb I have you can PM me and we can talk more.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 02:56 PM   #10
Alaska Jim

Thank you Ted, and Sal. as I said it will be awhile until I get to the stage where the eng. would be ready for carburetors. since I already have these two matched carbs , I will keep looking for the needed parts , and hope for the best for awhile. the internal parts for the choke (in side the carb body to operate the choke air valve) are there. just need the stuff on the outside of the carb. since winter has set in up here I don't see many of the people I know that may have any of these parts, so I will have to call around and see what I can come up with. things may change before spring. I want to thank both Ted and Sal for their suggestions on soldering up the jets it is a good solution if I cannot find any. I will be in touch with both of you in the coming months for suggestions, and possibly for parts. if I become a nuisance, just let me know.------Jim.