Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 10:38 PM   #1
RyanB

Question This is a site for stock restoration.

In a thread I started about installing juice brakes on my car Ryan Cochran stated that " This is a site for stock restoration fellas. We are purists. Case closed." I just started restoring my great grandfathers model a coupe with my grandfather and wanted some advice in restoring the car and to hopefully make some friends along the way who share my love of model A cars and thought I could get that in this website. I thought this was a site for people who love old ford cars and not just purists. I love to see authentic restorations and I am doing that except for a few things that help me enjoy driving the car more. I will find another site if I am not welcome here.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:48 PM   #2
bbrocksr

Default Re: This is a site for stock restoration.

You are welcome here,Don't worry about it. There's a lot of Model A's on here that aren't stock restorations.
Bill
Old 02-07-2013, 10:48 PM   #3
oldrelics

The sister site H.A.M.B. is where you want to be then....
Old 02-07-2013, 10:59 PM   #4
160B

Do not let a few who are too fast to comment cause you to depart.

I have been a member of MAFCA for over 40 years and there are many members with different interests in this hobby. It is your car it is your decision to have the car in the configuration that suits your interests, and no one should be critical of those decisions!!

Information should always be shared recognizing that the owner of the car has the decision to make the car to suit his goals, whether it is show, safety, preservation or personal taste.

Stay with us and consider the source when you see overly strong or critical comments!!

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?

Last edited by 160B; 02-07-2013 at 11:20 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:07 PM   #5
1930artdeco

Hi Ryan,

My personal feeling is that I would ignore the statement/advice. Yes this site leans more toward the stock/original than the hot rod. BUT, as stated, this is YOUR car and it is YOUR decision to do with it what you will. If all you are doing is adding juice brakes, that is not that big of a deal. I am quite sure that people were doing that back in the late 30's so it is no major issue. So, I would like to welcome you to the barn and hope will stay around.

Mike
Old 02-07-2013, 11:07 PM   #6
MCHinson

RyanB,

Personally I disagree with your thought that you need to modify your Model A to make it safe or enjoyable. With that said, there are other sites where you can find help on that if that is what you want to do.

I think that you might want to look at who owns this site. Complaining about the owner of the site explaining that the site is for stock restoration only is not going to help your case too much. Good luck.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:19 PM   #7
160B

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHinson View Post
RyanB,

Personally I disagree with your thought that you need to modify your Model A to make it safe or enjoyable. With that said, there are other sites where you can find help on that if that is what you want to do.

I think that you might want to look at who owns this site. Complaining about the owner of the site explaining that the site is for stock restoration only is not going to help your case too much. Good luck.

The problem here is that the purpose of this forum is to share information, and I believe let the owner make his decision.

I did not read anything in the post by RyanB post that he was taking issue with who owns this forum!!

Lighten up and enjoy the hobby!!

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
Old 02-07-2013, 11:28 PM   #8
rollingsculpture

keep reading this forum for all the stock info you will need and share what stock info you have and im sure nobody is going to care about the mods you make for you to enjoy your car to your wishes, its the chops and engine mods that really take it out there and those as stated are loved at the hamb
Old 02-07-2013, 11:29 PM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

What brakes are on the Model A now?

If they are juice, then I'd fix them and drive it while hunting for parts to put it back original. If they are stock mechanical brakes then you are lucky because they are very good and safe brakes. They just take a little more understanding to know the correct proceedure to repair the worn parts and do the correct adjustments.

A few minor mods are done by many on this site, but they are modification that truely help the Model A, such as a counterweighted crankshaft, or small filter screen in the gas tank shutoff valve. An easily installed electronic voltage regulator helps the charging system and life of the battery. A 5.5 Snyder's head helps if you want more horsepower.

Changing to hydraulic brakes is a big expense and only gives you a less safe car IMHO. You'd be much better off to spend the money to have cast iron brake drums installed, as they are better than the stamped steel drums.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:29 PM   #10
MCHinson

160B,

Please read what he posted carefully. The poster who he is complaining about owns Fordbarn.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:40 PM   #11
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Ryan Cochran is the owner of this site. He is also the owner of HAMB, that "... forum is dedicated to spreading the gospel of traditional hot rods and customs to hoodlums worldwide." and the soon to reopen Chevybarn.

While there is a great deal of gray in the area of restoration of Model A's, being told that purists should start their own site was the straw that broke the camels back.

One CAN find help here for all sorts of things but what will get one in "trouble" is when one states that they HAVE to make changes to make the car a better driver, that is simply false.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:45 PM   #12
160B

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHinson View Post
160B,

Please read what he posted carefully. The poster who he is complaining about owns Fordbarn.

I re-read the post Master Cylinder for 1929 A Brake Conversion, https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96286, and do not see any post by Ryan Cochran. " Ryan Cochran stated that " This is a site for stock restoration fellas. We are purists. Case closed." .

I may be a newbie and not recognize the owner but my previous comments stand!!

""Do not let a few who are too fast to comment cause you to depart.

I have been a member of MAFCA for over 40 years and there are many members with different interests in this hobby.

It is your car it is your decision to have the car in the configuration that suits your interests, and no one should be critical of those decisions!!

Information should always be shared recognizing that the owner of the car has the decision to make the car suit his goals, whether it is show, safety, preservation or personal taste.

Stay with us and consider the source when you see overly strong or critical comments!!

Old 02-07-2013, 11:46 PM   #13
BILL WILLIAMSON

So what if we get off the "STRAIGHT & NARROW" sometime? This is a "BLOG" isn't it? If this was JUST a reference site for info, specs, etc, HOW BORING!
After all, even back in Chief's era, folks were puttin' hydraulics on stock Model A's! It's just old RETRO stuff.
I've seen Model A's with hydraulic cyls mounted in "stock" backing plates & they left all the external linkages, etc in place to look original. The only "give away" is a skinny, black, barely noticeable brake hose. Takes great talent to do that! SO THERE! Yes, there's B.S, HUMOR, etc here, but that helps us get to know others better & that in turn helps us to help others with their problems or info requests. Bill W. (Lighten up Cochran!)
Old 02-08-2013, 12:20 AM   #14
160B

I stand corrected!!
I now see the post by the owner of the forum. I still think we are missing an opportunity, as I have seen little discussion on the advantages of staying with mechanical versus converting to hydraulic brakes.
The major factor in not going with hydraulic is that Ford would not pay the royalties for Bendix self-actuating brakes and the brakes on the Ford cars were Ford design and not the same effective brake system designed by Bendix. Add to this the problems with hydraulic brake corrosion and leaking that you do not have with the mechanical brakes, and now you have more information to make the decision of “hydraulics” or “mechanicals”

Last edited by 160B; 02-08-2013 at 12:36 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:26 AM   #15
Joe K

So no solenoid valves for the gas supply?

I have rubber valves stems on my tires.

Unfortunately Lebaron Bonney put FOAM into their seat cushion kit for my truck.

My headlight lenses don't say FORD script.

I have an electric wiper to replace the hand swiper.

Stainless steel spark and throttle rods, sorry...

And I've been thinking how nice juice brakes, fiberglass fenders, an F150 steering box, a box channel frame, and a VW diesel engine might be on my NEXT Model A.

Maybe I shouldn't say more...

Or maybe we all need to LIGHTEN UP a bit.

It's like a party. Different people come to the party. Some talk about what you're interested in. Others you have NO use for. But the object is to shmooze and have fun with like minds.

Ok. Where is the bowl of Ford Fudge? Its been YEARS since I've had any.

Joe K

Edit: See http://blog.thehenryford.org/2011/05...village-store/ as this may be "ford fudge."

I think mentioned in the Mary Moline Model A book. It's a pretty simple recipe. Doesn't seem to be on the 'net.

Last edited by Joe K; 02-08-2013 at 12:33 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:33 AM   #16
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanB View Post
In a thread I started about installing juice brakes on my car Ryan Cochran stated that " This is a site for stock restoration fellas. We are purists. Case closed." I just started restoring my great grandfathers model a coupe with my grandfather and wanted some advice in restoring the car and to hopefully make some friends along the way who share my love of model A cars and thought I could get that in this website. I thought this was a site for people who love old ford cars and not just purists. I love to see authentic restorations and I am doing that except for a few things that help me enjoy driving the car more. I will find another site if I am not welcome here.
My guess is someone with a short fuse complained and Ryan felt obligated to take some kind of action. Hopefully you you won't lose too much sleep over it.

Having worked on both original brakes as well as hydraulics on Model A's I strongly favor original. With that said it's all up to you as well as your abilities. It's better to do what it takes for YOU within your limits to be able to enjoy the car. A car just sitting is near worthless for most of us.

There is much to be learned here so take advantage of the opportunity and try not to get rattled by those with a bit of attitude. There is more than one way to do almost anything. There is often enough good information presented here to allow for educated decisions that suits an individuals needs.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:38 AM   #17
Milton

Ryan, I felt the same way as you when I came to this site. I tried the HAMB and found it just to foul mouthed and juvenile for my taste. When I got here I found the perfect place for information about my car. Usually civil and very few feel they have to prove anything. For all intents my car is all A, no turn signals, no seat belts, 19" wheels etc. However, the engine has been modified and the electrical system is 12v neg ground. This is something that I don't discuss that much unless asked about it. A lot of the people on this site are extremely knowledgable and it is a comfort to know that this is available to those of us less so. The site belongs to Ryan Cochran so he gets to set the parameters, I can live with that because it is worth it.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:48 AM   #18
matt92vr4

Mine hasn't been stock for 70 years. Guess I'm in trouble with ya!
Old 02-08-2013, 12:49 AM   #19
jim1932

I think if you read Ryan's post in context he was not commenting on the juice brake question, he was responding to the comment that the purists should get another site. He was saying this site is for the purists, not that others aren't welcome (as long as they don't start trash talking the restoration members or start turning this into the HAMB).
Old 02-08-2013, 12:56 AM   #20
Jordan

I've realized that in life, you have to practice what they taught us in sunday school as a kids. You have to be accepting of everyone from different walks of life, because nobody is the same. Judging & condemning people is going to get you nowhere.