Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-01-2019, 07:50 AM   #1
upd8922

Default 28 Model A Fordor Briggs Tranny Converstion

I have aquestion and in need of same answers and a solution. I have an early 1928 ModelA Briggs Leatherback Fordor AR. While in the engine rebuild stage, we havenoticed that I have the early style clutch and pressure plate. My mechanic saysthat most early Model A owners got rid of the older style clutch and pressureplate and converted the transmission to accept the newer style clutch andpressure plate. Does anybody know how this is done and what is needed to do so.
upd8922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:16 AM   #2
Joe K

Default Re: 28 Model A Fordor Briggs Tranny Converstion

Depends on what you want from this car.

The original multi-plate clutch is durable and long lasting - probably longer than the later single plate clutch. But that only if you do periodic 'clean out' of the accumulated dust from clutch linings. Without cleaning one by one the disks or the linings "hang up" and make it increasingly difficult to engage the clutch. Cleaned every 10K miles, they will keep soldiering on.

The single plate clutch does not suffer from this defect, but has a shorter life before new clutch facing (disk) is required. Well, shorter (typical) perhaps 70K miles.

Other issues are connected with the earlier setup: abell starter, thinner casings on the tranny, difficulties in replacement parts, equalizing brake setup/complexity.

Still, I would consider a conversion CAREFULLY. They are only original once.

Parts could be retained for a reversion if necessary - but retained parts have a way of being sold, or (worse) scrapped. Sold might be ok for sale to someone "retro-ing" a previous conversion.

But - what do YOU want? Keep in mind that even updated to the more modern drive, a Model A is still a Model A - and will be challenged to occupy space on modern roads next to modern vehicles. In many places clubs do "Tours" as a way to use their cars with a modicum of road safety - taking "safety in numbers" to heart. Generally tours involve "look & see" at other's cars - and my experience is earlier cars attract more attention - and respect - despite their downsides.

Joe K
Old 04-01-2019, 11:39 AM   #3
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by upd8922 View Post
I have aquestion and in need of same answers and a solution. I have an early 1928 ModelA Briggs Leatherback Fordor AR. While in the engine rebuild stage, we havenoticed that I have the early style clutch and pressure plate. My mechanic saysthat most early Model A owners got rid of the older style clutch and pressureplate and converted the transmission to accept the newer style clutch andpressure plate. Does anybody know how this is done and what is needed to do so.
You will need many parts to convert, bell housing, pedals, flywheel, starter, transmission etc. This is from memory, sold my AR roadster pickup but at one time had all the later parts on it. Sold it with the AR setup.
Old 04-01-2019, 02:13 PM   #4
J Franklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by upd8922 View Post
I would clean and inspect what you already have and if in good condition then decide. The multi-disk clutch was a smooth clutch.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 02:14 PM   #5
Kurt in NJ

There is a complete list in the service bulletins
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:31 AM   #6
Purdy Swoft

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
The main drive gear and front bearing and retainer will need to be replaced . The transmission will first need to be gutted in order to drill and thread 4 holes in the transmission case-housing to attach the front bearing retainer . The throw out bearing , bell housing , pedals and related parts will need replacement . The flywheel , pressure plate and disc will need replacement . The starter will need to be replaced with the later version with the 5/8 armature shaft and later Bendix starter drive . If I missed anything , someone else will probabkly chime in .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote